28/06 Sydney Harbour Rain Wind And Fish!

kantong

gday all,

My initial plan was to fish the northern beaches. Drove up to curly to have a look. A lot of white wash and had a quick look at the stones and definitely not a place to be fishing today.

There's a lot of chocolate water starting from the rocks and at least 40-50 metres out to sea. You can see the froth all just floating out.

post-1703-1183088382_thumb.jpg

sorry for the quality of that shot...

The rain set in and I found a place to set up for the next few hours. Burleyed up and the bites starting to come on. Lots of little pinkies around. The tide started coming in and so did the rain. Stayed on and persisted with the burley and kept telling myself "the tide will bring me something good".

So it happened, got a good bite and brought this guy up. Not sure what it is... Some sort of reef fish?

post-1703-1183088399_thumb.jpg

After that, nothing but pinkies. I was heading home and the weather started to clear, gave my mate Warren a call and off we went.

I threw the squid jig in and yes I'm on. Caught a few and lost a few.

I got my fishing fix, I am happy.

Cheers,

It's a red mowie!

One tip though.... They are very good eating as long as you skin them before cooking.

The skin is very oily and if left on when cooked it puts a very strong weedy flavour through the fillet.

They are mainly herbevores, feeding primarly on weed, cunji and the like. They will however feed on crabs and prawn if offered.

I have spent many hours snorkelling around Sydney and they really are prolific, however very hard to catch on a line, so well done!

Nathan.

Good onya for giving it a go, mate. :thumbup: Well done on the squid too. That's a red morwong - I think they're pretty good on the plate! Did you eat it?

Flattieman.

Cheers.

Yep will be eating it tonight! thats my red morwong cherry popped.

Cheers.

Yep will be eating it tonight! thats my red morwong cherry popped.

Here's some info from http://www.frdc.com.au/species.php?f=73&v=f about cooking the red morwong:

Morwongs have creamy flesh with a distinctive flavour and they are ideally suited to frying, baking, steaming or barbecuing whole (gilled and gutted).

The size of these species makes them excellent for presentation especially if deep-fried whole and served with a coriander, chilli and lime dressing. Alternatively, wrap the finfish in foil and bake with lemon and fresh parsley, then douse with a warm vinaigrette of lemon, virgin olive oil and toasted sesame seeds. Score flesh on both sides before cooking to allow for even heat penetration.

Morwongs also marry well with the flavours of teriyaki, chilli, basil and coconut milk, when used in fragrant seafood curries.

Morwongs can be used in place of snapper or red emperor as an inexpensive centrepiece for a buffet.

Flavour

Medium, Distinctive flavour

Oiliness

Low to Medium

Moisture

Medium, can be dry

Texture

Medium to firm

Flesh Colour

Creamy pink

Thickness

Medium fillets

Bones

Best to remove rib and pin bones before serving

Price

Morwongs are generally medium-priced finfish, but banded morwong can be high priced when sold live. Grey morwong is higher priced than jackass morwong. Prices vary a little between states.

Suggested Wines

The distinctive flavour of morwong flesh allows the accompaniment of the more intensely flavoured, cool climate rieslings.

For the banded morwong recipe from Stuart Prosser of Prosser's On The Beach in Hobart (p. 310), young, zesty rieslings accentuate the flavourings, while cleansing the palate of any oiliness from the dressings.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman