New Inventions.heavy Ideas For Jewies & Kingfish.on Test Soon.

jewgaffer

hi jewie friends :1prop:

i start off this new topic a few pararaphs below so please read on.

Just as you are, i am waiting for the big lows and this southerly influence to pass and get out there fishing the turned over sands and the structures after all the storms and big seas.

sorry i can't tell you where the jewies are, i don't know, but i may well know where they might be.

for better results we all have to determine what changes there are to the sea bed and if necessary locate new thoroughfares where the jewies will choose to frequent. that's all we have to do. sounds easy?

as some of you are probably aware jewies hide in ambush along narrow paths where the best cover is and they return to those same paths fairly regularly.

i am still getting over a back op from last year and hobbling a bit and my fingers are chill affected a bit, it appears, from all the night fishing i got into over the winter. otherwise i can handle everything on the boat fairly well.

i need 2 deckies, maybe take a 3rd along for company, good blokes who know what they're doing . don't have to be jewie encyclopaedias, my wife shirl reckons one's enough in the family, just capable boaties and keen fishos.

i need a bit of launch retreive and trailer help and a bit of awareness around the deck and a bit of astute rod vigilance in a 6-8 rod spread. i'll do the bait presentations and rigs no problems, and smoking's o.k.

my deckie helpers, taren pt julius and my supurb chiro kevin ivins who, by his fine rod action, appears to be manipulating a football team every time as he hooks up a jewie, are in winter hibernation, and the kingy professor, downrigger dave the owner of maroota sands is lost in the sand somewhere.

no bream rods, no line less than 50, no pre made bait jigs. i'll show how the 4 hook per jig bait rigs are best done using tubing trace if we're onto tailer, on short nz p/nosta loops.

need 8 hours on the hawks day only for best results . my boat's a centre console open boat, 17 s/s rod holders 10 for working rod positions and 7 on the console for spare rods. it's a 15' mustang with 2 stern seats at the console and circular bow seating, a 5 seater plus electric winch.

the other boat is a little 12 1/2 foot eagle ray tri hull the little brother with identical twin hulls and pods to the eagle rays they use for sea rescue in noosa but i use that sometimes as a 2 or 3 man boat on the hawks and 3 can stand on one side no probs

below is the new topic :-

New inventions.Heavy ideas for jewies & kingfish.On test soon.

i enjoy reading all these articles popping up in other places about all these fabulous lightweight 4-6 kilo rods, and smooth 6 kilo spinning reels supposedly being the ideal choice for fishos as gear that can handle the strongest of all estuary fighting fish, the kingfish and the jewies.

on ebay this type of light tackle is showing up nice in photos with lightweight flourocarbon lines and sounding like the real goods.

it's for sure and certain even if the rods and reels are the top of the line in this line class, using this type of gear on kingfish or jewfish is similiar to using disposable tissues for cleat ties.

old timers wouldn't even think of targetting jewfish without using at least something strong like an alvey and 50lb line and would only recommend at least that to their own younger kindred.

on ebay fishos are paying $50 u.s. for 2 X 15 lb super duper reels from hong kong or singapore and $58 u.s. for postage.

i don't think i've been had with my big penn ss's, ticas, pfluegers, and alvies and i've had them quite a while anyway. these other reels are looking the goods in descriptions and photos on ebay but in quality are about as tasty as the pronto pups you used to buy in luna park.

i am really beginning to enjoy the plethora of the big one that got away stories and i enjoy the bust ups just as much. i keep seeing those same thing happening and those type of reels seizing up in all the wrong places and on typical deepwater critters in the hawkesbury.

i have seen fishos using 7W fly rods and floating fly lines with 8/0s and 10/0s and big luminous plastic squid like flies in the bait grounds at the walker side in the lea close to lion.

must be some sort of a fishing revolution starting up?

yet the extreme opposite is getting popular in places like the mouth of botany bay, mouth of bate bay, and in the calmest part navigatable at the back of barranjoey.

you see game gear fit for the other side of the continental shelf engaged in a full scale war against nature in leather jacket havens.

you see blackfish and trout type gear with chromium plated pocket watch size spinning reels and rods bent heavily right to end of the butt from golf ball size sinkers in the middle of flint & steel reef.

mayby i'm doing it all wrong using such big spinning reels, 725 alveys and 80lb braid.

am i missing out on some new fish species evolving but has not completely formed yet ?

it has got me thinking. i am going to try out and test a special hybrid tackle system at the other side of this equation of using this so called light and sporty jewie and kingfish gear.

this is what i am going to test out and i reckon it will still work properly.

i welcome your comments on my proposed jewie test rig which will be about half way in between the latest trendy gear and hopefully not superceded by something else more rediculous at this moment of writing.

i am going a to fish a lot heavier with much stiffer bait feeding before the above mentioned trend has a chance to hijack the thinking of young anglers.

i'll be happy to see the usual jetty mutes perservering with rays, bream and butterfish on this other so called sports fishing gear.

i'll run 4 patternoster rigs directly off 80 lb leader onto heavy guage 150 lb stiff solid steel rod standing out from the leader about 2 feet at 90 degrees. an 8lb cannon downrigger bomb will be attached directly to the bottom of the leader, to act as a very heavy drop shot sinker, and suspend it about 1500mm above the bottom. the downriggers themselves won't be used on this occasion.

i'll bait up with 2 x livies and 2 x 12 inch plastic tsumami squid pattern lures rigged on 7/0s and 8/0s will be stuffed with pilchards with the tails hanging out of them tightly wrapped in bait mate and attached to the 150 lb steel rods as mentioned above.

the livies will be able to struggle forwards a little and when the weight of the cannon ball downrigger sinker becomes too heavy for that tug-of-war performance to continue, they simply swim backwards again.

the livies may feel slightly distressed but i will provide relief for further discomfort by rigging them up hook free thus allowing the 7/0s and 8/0s to gently flutter along next to them as they swim backwards to ease the load of continually pulling the 8lb cannon downrigger bomb back and around in a forwards direction.

it will be interesting to see the results of these test rigs with all this lead and metal dangling all over the place on the sea bed and we'll soon know whether our jewies have become cunning enough to only take baits on ultra light gear as they've been made out to do.

i value your opinions and your comments are very welcome as i have nothing much else to do but finish this and make up a decent supply of spare leader rigs at moments when my hands aren't too bad .

and thanks to all those members who took the time to give me such good advice on my hand and finger problems.

regards

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1:

Jewgaffer,

A very interesting read there mate.

I would like to know the outcome of you tests here.

In theory I think that it might just work.

All the best. :thumbup:

hi jewgaffer

i can sense the madness setting in after reading your post, :1prop:

the only cure is getting out their on the ol briney and hearing that zzzzzzzzzzzzz of the first big jew run.....

i now use 50lb braid on my new big shimano thunnus now as after losing a couple with 20lb mono on my ol alvey over the years i upped the stakes :biggrin2:. the games now back in my favour... and dealt with some nice kings recently with total control.. amazing how technology has swung things around in our favour, braid/flouro/sp's/downriggers the list goes on.. how does any fish stand a chance... oooh but the almighty eluesive jewie :biggrin2: .......

i know what you mean about mates leaving you posted because of the cold,i usually get out solo when its "toooo cold" arrrgh only hours on the water earn the fish i say........

after reading some of your recent posts sounds like you know your jewies pretty well and pretty spot on with barometric pressure fluctuations = good fish...... anyway hope your hands and back get better and see you out there one day/night...... steve......

Edited by roosterman

hi jewgaffer

i can sense the madness setting in after reading your post, :1prop:

the only cure is getting out their on the ol briney and hearing that zzzzzzzzzzzzz of the first big jew run.....

i now use 50lb braid on my new big shimano thunnus now as after losing a couple with 20lb mono on my ol alvey over the years i upped the stakes :biggrin2:. the games now back in my favour... and dealt with some nice kings recently with total control.. amazing how technology has swung things around in our favour, braid/flouro/sp's/downriggers the list goes on.. how does any fish stand a chance... oooh but the almighty eluesive jewie :biggrin2: .......

i know what you mean about mates leaving you posted because of the cold,i usually get out solo when its "toooo cold" arrrgh only hours on the water earn the fish i say........

after reading some of your recent posts sounds like you know your jewies pretty well and pretty spot on with barometric pressure fluctuations = good fish...... anyway hope your hands and back get better and see you out there one day/night...... steve......

hey roosterman

50lb braid is fine, 20lbs can be bad economics in deep water up there and with a good rod your thunnus will do the drag bit real nice.

if fishos want more sporty play they can still use a sensitive fast action rod around 25lb with decent silicone guides to handle the braid but it's better for them to buy good qual suitably sized reels and lines in the first place

you won't get the number of breakoffs that we read about on forums with your stuff steve that's for sure.

hope to see you. you'll see a centre console with a high maroon bimini that looks like something returning from the gulf. its pretty hard to go along quitely in this boat. It doesn't look like you're going on a picnic.

i kept a low profile in the old yalta but this boat worries me. shirl loves it but she loves purple hair anyway.

i had better plans for the funny posting you refer to. it was going more subtly written than that. i really wanted it a bit more on the unobviously twisted side for delayed reaction but pressed the wrong button and posted it too quick.

i was doodling away and choking in laughter reading it to shirl and it just went straight into the fishing chat forum before i had a chance to stop it.

i think you proved my point that they can't be serious about getting good fish using cheap lightweight junk.

cripes it's late. shirl's not home from bingo yet. she must have had a punch up with the numbers caller bloke again.

cheers steve

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1: