Offshore 28.11.04

changa

Launched from botany sunday morning in still conditions.

Was going to head to browns but decided not to fight the traffic and changed my direction to the southern canyons.

Weather was tops!! took about 40 mins to get to within 5nm of the canyons and i set the spread.

sounded over the area and water looked a tinge of green to it so i decided to venture out further and find some better water.

Anyways to cut a long story short, We tagged 9 yellowfin :1clap: to 50lbs(that fish caught on 10kg) and also put one on the deck at approx70lbs(on 15)

Also tagged a albacore.

Came back in at 2pm to a typically crowded ramp full of clowns that cant reverse trailers or load boats onto them :thumbdown:

all in all a good day out and nice conditions.

cheers

changa

Edited by changa

Good on. Howfar are those canyons?

Dan

21383[/snapback]

Dan,

fair trip back into nor easters. about same distance as browns to the northern edge with the southern edge much further down.

They start in about 80fth to the north.

Anyways, but can sometimes pay.

changa

Chnaga,

good to here that you got into them, was planning to go out sunday but thought witht the racing on, the ramps would be crazy and decided to stay home with the :beersmile::beersmile:, Dave and I plan to be out this weekend, I thnk I got him itching for fishing again :biggrin2:

Guest bluecod

Good One Changa - but BUGGER we only managed to raise some at around 5kgs at Brown's. 8/8/8

What were you towing in the spread? placement?

We were out at Brown's as well and could only catch small YFT around the 4-6kg mark. We did land a nice Mahi Mahi that hooked up about 5 NM Nwest of Browns on the way out. There were dozens of Dolphins out there, prob 50+. together with something else about twice the size but very spottled & grey/white in colour, dunno what it was. At one stage we tried to cube using pilchards and livies but could only interest a large Noah who went about hovering the pilchards. Did however make the livies quite excited.......

Terry

post-127-1101778158_thumb.jpg

It sounds like we used the same ramp. 

That bloody ski race (and the reversing newbies) made for a long wait to get the boat out of the water. We had to wait over an hour. 

It's good to hear that there's still plenty of tuna around. 

--------------------

Andrew

Andrew,

i used the foreshore drive ramp at Stevedores terminal. Much better than Kyeemah. much closer and usually less crowded. i came in early as i knew that being a mega hot day, it would be full of people that dont use their boat so often. cant really blame them i suppose.

it was hot, and great day for boating. :thumbup:

Tony N posted yesterday, 03:53 PM Post #5

Chnaga,

good to here that you got into them, was planning to go out sunday but thought witht the racing on, the ramps would be crazy and decided to stay home with the  , Dave and I plan to be out this weekend, I thnk I got him itching for fishing again 

--------------------

TonyN

"Mad Fish" 

Tony, spoke with dave just yesterday, he is keen as.

Get him out there, he needs some fishin in him.

Darryl  Yesterday, 08:01 PM Post #6 

Frequent Member

Enjoyed reading the report Changa. I gather from reading reports over the last several years that its a reasonable season for YFT after a few poor ones. Is that the case?

The southern canyons is a lonnngggg way from your place. You must get up at half past sparrows 

Cheers, Darryl

--------------------

Save the whales, collect the whole set.

Darryl, it seems to be kicking on for a little while. certainly one of the latest runs of fish we have seen for a while, and not many biggins around, but there is some good ones at least amongst them.

I have had pretty good success last few years on YFT. you just have to pick you techniques. Maybe troll, maybe cube, maybe do both. you just have to be prepared to do the work to get the fish.

Its not easy to catch consistently without hard work.

bluecod  Yesterday, 08:16 PM Post #7 

Frequent Member

Good One Changa - but BUGGER we only managed to raise some at around 5kgs at Brown's. 8/8/8

What were you towing in the spread? placement?

Bluecod,

My best performer for the day was a PAKULA ZIPPER(screamer)tagged 5 YFT to 50lbs closely followed by a PAKULA COCKROACH (zacatack) tagged 3YFT and boated one at 70lbs and one albacore tagged. Pakula Cockroach in lumo also scored one tagged YFT.

Only had 2 on board so we ran 3 lures always having double hookups. :1yikes:

cheers

changa

i used the foreshore drive ramp at Stevedores terminal.

How is that ramp?

I'll be heading out of Botany on the weekend and don't want to risk Kyeemagh again...

21577[/snapback]

hey swoff,

the ramp is 3 boats wide if others there can drive(which is not often). in saying that, you can get 5 wide at parsley bay, but again, people dont think of others waiting and dont care to learn how to reverse.

foreshore drive is easy for me to access. they are doing major revamps there at the moment, but everything is still ok, just looks messy.

certainly a better run outside, much closer but sometimes can cause havoc for those that cant load boats onto trailers.

changa

[

foreshore drive is easy for me to access. they are doing major revamps there at the moment, but everything is still ok, just looks messy.

certainly a better run outside, much closer but sometimes can cause havoc for those that cant load boats onto trailers.

changa

21584[/snapback]

Changa,

have not been there for at least 12 months are they dredging again or moving the ramp, your right if you get a couple of boats that cant reverse down with there cars its lucky to fit one boat, used to be a great ramp when they firtst fixed it 20 years ago

We were out at Brown's as well and could only catch small YFT around the 4-6kg mark. We did land a nice Mahi Mahi that hooked up about 5 NM Nwest of Browns  on the way out. There were dozens of Dolphins out there, prob 50+.  together with something else about twice the size but very spottled & grey/white in colour, dunno what it was. At one stage we tried to cube using pilchards and livies but could only interest a large Noah who went about hovering the pilchards. Did however make the livies quite excited.......

Terry

21556[/snapback]

Terry

Is that the trophy your in?

congrats on the dolly first of the season Ive heard of

A

Brett,

Dont think I'll be able to make it, Im currently in adelaide trying to get a 100lb Jew on a lure...Someones gotta show Swoffa what a big one looks like :1prop::1prop:

Keep the bundy's flowing and you'll need the mandatory shots of Chatruse in my honour ! chances are i'll call you and red to remind you both to take pictures of the waitresses !! :thumbup::thumbup:

Chris

Guest Big-Banana
There's been quiet a few reports of dollies turning up wide of the Browns.  :biggrin2:

I've just organised my ride for Sunday, let's hope there's still fish around.  :1fishing1:

21635[/snapback]

I havent heard any but I have now. I gotta get out there and give it a go. Still havent got a dolly over 5kg. :thumbdown:

Cool any size? early season dollies usually have a bit of beef on em

21636[/snapback]

Allen,

week previous a couple of BBay boats gots some small ones, i fished their poinscore day and we scored a nice 13kg dollie.

Theres a few about.

If that water comes down from coffs its gonna go off.

southern QLD is soooo hot at the moment.

Nasty,

Dunno what they are doing at the ramp. lots of roadworks barriers and ploughing up of ground etc.

Hope they dont stuff it up.

Wouldnt you think they would do all their work in winter?

in saying that, the whole of Stevedores terminal seems to be getting revamped along that road.

changa

Brett,

Dont think I'll be able to make it, Im currently in adelaide trying to get a 100lb Jew on a lure...Someones gotta show Swoffa what a big one looks like  :1prop:  :1prop:

Keep the bundy's flowing and you'll need the mandatory shots of Chatruse in my honour ! chances are i'll call you and red to remind you both to take pictures of the waitresses !! :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Chris

21692[/snapback]

Dont worry chris, i look after the waitresses for ya :thumbup::thumbup::1clap: :1clap:

changa

We were out at Brown's as well and could only catch small YFT around the 4-6kg mark. We did land a nice Mahi Mahi that hooked up about 5 NM Nwest of Browns  on the way out. There were dozens of Dolphins out there, prob 50+.  together with something else about twice the size but very spottled & grey/white in colour, dunno what it was. At one stage we tried to cube using pilchards and livies but could only interest a large Noah who went about hovering the pilchards. Did however make the livies quite excited.......

Terry

21556[/snapback]

Terry

Is that the trophy your in?

congrats on the dolly first of the season Ive heard of

A

21633[/snapback]

Hey Allen, how are u buddy??

No, that is Nic's new Hydra Sports, bloody lovelly boat, very well made, v seaworthy, has some great electronics, goes like the clappers and so far seems to be raising fish. Haven't taken my new Trophy out for a couple of weeks, not brave enough yet to take an 17' CC out to Browns just yet, wouldn't worry you though would it? When we get a good spot of weather we should tag along together out there?

Cheers, Terry

I havent heard any but I have now. I gotta get out there and give it a go. Still havent got a dolly over 5kg. :thumbdown:

21702[/snapback]

Seems like nows the time. Head wide find the warm water and troll current lines or work the bait schools hard. Any known marlin possies like browns, the bait station, canyons etc will be the place to lurk. Most caught off syd at this time of yr are usually by catch but Im sure if you targeted them it would only take a half dozen trips to snare one never know you might get a measly marlin or two whilst your at it . :biggrin2:

The big ones that turn up this time of yr are usually loners and can turn up any time or no time around now. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Edited by allen glover

Guest Big-Banana

21702[/snapback]

Seems like nows the time. Head wide find the warm water and troll current lines or work the bait schools hard. Any known marlin possies like browns, the bait station, canyons etc will be the place to lurk. Most caught off syd at this time of yr are usually by catch but Im sure if you targeted them it would only take a half dozen trips to snare one never know you might get a measly marlin or two whilst your at it . :biggrin2:

The big ones that turn up this time of yr are usually loners and can turn up any time or no time around now. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

21825[/snapback]

Thanx 4 the advice mate. Iam really keen now. :biggrin2: