Caught My First Mudeye!

arpie

Hi guys

In my never ending quest for green weed, I actually found my first ever (and 2nd) mudeye - the latter of which was unlucky enough to get caught!!

I was purusing the odd pool of water (fresh & salt) here & there, when I thought I saw some underwater movement - obviously some sort of underwater critter. Having only ever seen mudeyes in a container given to me by a trout fisher who was heading home, I'd never seen them 'in situ' before!

The first one disappeared before I could grab it, then within a minute, I saw another one heading towards the surface. I put my hand in the water & it swam into it!

They are actually a bit bigger than I had remembered them as (only having played with them the once!)

Let's hope that when I head towards the trout country, I can find some more, in greater numbers!

Cheers

Roberta

I remember one January many years ago I was up in the snowies.

We had turned our tinnie upside down on the bank.

When we woke up in the morning there must have been over 100 mudeyes that had crawled out of the water and into the boat.

We had a great morning that day. Caught my best brown on a mudeye trolled behind some cow bells. Went just over 4.5kg

Evets

Hey Evets

That is a really novel way of catching mudeyes!! That was a fantastic catch! Well done.

I have seen the empty shells elsewhere, but this is the first time I had ever seen a live one that I had found! When up the Snowies, they charge a bomb for them!

Cheers

Roberta

Must have been a "hatch" cause I have never seen that one before.

If you need to keep your mudeyes alive, wet egg carton is the go.

davo

Roberta

Is there any weed in the lagoon at Halidays Point?

Mot of te stuff that used to grow there was course but a bit further up the lagoon on the beach side used to be good.

Cheers

Kingpig

Hi Kingpig

Last time I looked, it was clean as a whistle! Even down by the beach, it was as if someone had vacuumed it all up. However, it was a couple of months ago tho, so due for another look soon!

I had tried using it before, but without success ..... but given the weed drought that is on up here, just about anything is worth trying!! I think I had been spoiled by the 'Stockton' type weed that I had had access to previously. It hasn't started growing at Spot X so far this year ..... hope it does eventually, tho!

Cheers

Roberta