jewgaffer

Have You Used Circle Hooks For Jewfish?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Circle Hooks for Jewfish

• Yes , I have caught a Jewfish Using a circle hook
    • No , I have not caught a Jewfish using a circle hook
    • Whats a circle hook?

Hi everyone

are you using circle hooks for jewies and either went ok or had a bad day ?

like to hear from everyone as i have the time right now and i really want to clear a few things up

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1:

PLEASE AMEND THE WORD "CAUGHT", AS SHOWN ON THE POLL TO - DO YOU YOURSELF "USE" OR WOULD RATHER "USE" CIRCLE HOOKS WHEN FISHING FOR JEWFISH AND THEN VOTE "YES" OR "NO".

PLEASE REPLY GIVING YOUR OPINION ON USING OR NOT USING CIRCLE HOOKS FOR JEWIES, CHEERS AND THANKS.

REPLIES ARE WELCOME.

CHEERS

Edited by jewgaffer

just seeing votes wont tell the whole story, a lot of people are unsuccessful in catching jewfish fro reasons outside of hook choice. From my small sample set, it seems to depend on the bait as to whether circle hooks catch fish or not. I have trouble with them in live bait because the point catches, but in fillets they are ok, and in and in squid they're quite good. I'm keen to hear what other people think!

Jewgaffer,

My experience with circle hooks is limited bar one late night jew session from a heavily guttered beach. I was advised by a old fisho, whome id met the night before, to use a circle hook in place of a usual 8/0. This hook was to be tied in the snell position of my two hook rig. I have learnt one thing since i switched to salt water a year ago, that is listen to the gnarled, old salts.

Anyhow, i hook up to a nice jew. After a quick tussle i am up to my knees in water and upon sliding the fish up beside me, I realise the only reason i have landed this jew is because the circle hook had foul hooked on the outside of the fishes mouth, my 10/0 occy is swinging in the breeze!

Not to say i think circle hooks are the bees knees, but on a snell arrangement they secured a fish i may have otherwise lost.

Ps. Thanks for the very informative and well written posts concerning pressure systems and they're affect on fishes. I now have a barommeter and am checking it way too often :thumbup:

Cheers mate,

Bobfish

Edited by bobfish

I voted on behalf of my friend who targets Jewies.

He used to use suicides, he lost 3 Jewie runs on consecutive trips, swapped to circles and hooked up with a big bastard, pity he got snapped off.

IFS

just seeing votes wont tell the whole story, a lot of people are unsuccessful in catching jewfish fro reasons outside of hook choice. From my small sample set, it seems to depend on the bait as to whether circle hooks catch fish or not. I have trouble with them in live bait because the point catches, but in fillets they are ok, and in and in squid they're quite good. I'm keen to hear what other people think!

thanks huntman i have edited the post to try and clarify the voting poll questions.

can you please help with explaining what they are voting on flightmanager as i believe it's too late to change the poll itself

cheers

jewgaffer

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi everyone

are you using circle hooks for jewies and either went ok or had a bad day ?

like to hear from everyone as i have the time right now and i really want to clear a few things up

jewgaffer

PLEASE REGARD THE WORD "CAUGHT", AS SHOWN ON THE POLL AS MEANING - DO YOU YOURSELF "USE" OR WOULD RATHER "USE" CIRCLE HOOKS WHEN FISHING FOR JEWFISH AND THEN VOTE "YES" OR "NO".

PLEASE REPLY GIVING YOUR OPINION ON USING OR NOT USING CIRCLE HOOKS FOR JEWIES, CHEERS AND THANKS.

REPLIES ARE WELCOME.

CHEERS

blimey neary 500 hundred visits and so few replies. see the clarification at the bottom of the topic post. it's too late to change the poll format now.

please post a reply i want to help members get em n' gaff em that's all.

cheers

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1::(

Edited by jewgaffer

I think circles are great if you plan on releasing fish, otherwise a couple of snelled Gamakatsu's are hard to beat. Make sure the hook size is suited to the bait size.....eg - no good running 7/0's on a large mullet. If you're having a hard time hooking them on J's, you are probably doing something wrong.

Cheers

Red

one and only jewie ive caught was on a sliding snell rig and the TREBLE got him :yahoo:

thought id mix thiings up abit hahah

steve

that's a good way big steve the old trebble stinger doesn't discriminate that's for sure

a great way to tow em along and a bit of company for the ramora

cheers

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1::biggrin2:

I use circle hooks on squid strips to catch jews. I've only been catching them since christmas & caught between 1 & 6 school jew every time I've targeted them since. I used to use j hooks but I found I was gut hooking to many fish. I release most of my fish so I went over to circle hooks & haven't looked back. I've not gut hooked a jewfish since. Sharks, pyke eels, & other toothy critters that bite through your leader aren't a problem cause the hook is in the corner of their mouth & the leader is well clear of their teeth. I hooked a 95cm jew (biggest one I've caught) on 12 lb mono with 2/0 circle hooks. Nearly spooled me & took forever to get back to the boat. The circle hook had a bloody good hold, me & the fish were shagged by the time I landed him.

Go the circles!