Collaroy Boat Ramp

humesy

Howdy again,

I have used this ramp with a mates boat and his small 4wd. his boat is the same length and i know the ramp is tricky in any sort of swell. it is by far the preferred way for me to get offshore though.

Do i need the 4wd or not? i have a 2wd hilux (with new rear tyres).

Cheers.

PS will definitely take a helper, hopefully my experienced mate.

Humsey

I am assuming you are talking about Long Reef boat ramp.

It all depends on the size of your boat. If your boat is small, you actually don't use the ramp but reverse your boat onto the sand and push out through the shorebreak with the help of a few blokes.

If your boat is a bit bigger Long Reef is a very trickey ramp particularly in a North Easterly breeze.

You need a bloke standing in the boat whist it is still on the trailer watching for an appropraiate wave or surge. He then yells out GO Go Go Go and you flore it in reverse, hit the anchors, and with any luck the boat will slide off with your mate in it ready to start the prewarmed engine.

In this case you will most likely need a 4WD as usually the back wheels make contact with the water, or at least a wet part of the ramp.

Hope this helps

davo

Humsey

I am assuming you are talking about Long Reef boat ramp.

It all depends on the size of your boat. If your boat is small, you actually don't use the ramp but reverse your boat onto the sand and push out through the shorebreak with the help of a few blokes.

If your boat is a bit bigger Long Reef is a very trickey ramp particularly in a North Easterly breeze.

You need a bloke standing in the boat whist it is still on the trailer watching for an appropraiate wave or surge. He then yells out GO Go Go Go and you flore it in reverse, hit the anchors, and with any luck the boat will slide off with your mate in it ready to start the prewarmed engine.

In this case you will most likely need a 4WD as usually the back wheels make contact with the water, or at least a wet part of the ramp.

Hope this helps

davo

Thanks Davo,

That's the ramp i am thinking of. This method makes me nervous just thinking about it. maybe I'll give it a go on a totally flat day with a couple of mates. Otherwise i'll give it a miss.

Cheers

Crazyfisherdude,

I couldn't agree with you more. It truly is amazing to watch the experts at it. Bordering on insane!! But hey, thats fishing!!!

Davo