Middle Harbour 7th July, 2007

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

After the ordinary weather we have had, my brother and I were busting for a fish. We had read about the winter kings Kiwi Dan and Dan&Greg had been experiencing and we decided to give it another shot.

We had a gentleman's start (8.00am) and headed out from Tunks Park Boat Ramp and Gravel Pit (what is with all the bags of blue metal on the ramp?) for a crack at the winter Kings.

We managed 2 reasonably large Sepioteuthis Australis (cue the Flattieman) and then headed up to spots K and G.

We also had a packet of Kiwi Dans special "Freezer Burnt, Half Mangled, Eyes Missing, Guts Exploding" frozen pillies so, we were armed with the bait of the century.

So, out goes four beautiful fresh squid baits and one dodgy smelly pillie.

No sooner had we commented on the serenity than the pillie gets smacked big time and the culprit starts peeling line from the Stella!! Nick grabbed the rod and put the brakes on him and then ensued a typical King fight except half way through he goes a bit still and deep. Net at the ready, I was polaroiding for colour. We both saw it simultaneously and called it for a Jew. Then, as he came up in the water column, we saw the flash of yellow. WOW... Winter KING !!! :yahoo:

Anyway, that was it as far as landed fish go. We did get one more Kingy run but that was it. It seems the 16 degree water has pretty much shut the Kings down for now. :(

Cheers

Ceph. :thumbup:

The rank pillie strikes again!! Nice little king there, shows you can still get them I guess.

I didnt get out on Saturday like i wanted to, unfortunately the alcohol gods thought they would punish me from Friday night!!

Did drop a line on Sunday though, met Dano1 and Hookem - top blokes gave me some fresh bait. I only pulled up a reasonable leatherjacket and not even 1 run.

Those bags down at Tunks were split open yesterday and the gravel was over more of the ramp. I would keep an eye on this if anyone is launching there. Would hate for another bag to split and cause it all to fall while you someone was pulling in their boat.

cheers

Dan

Well done on a winter kingy.

I have had good success at that spot with the same bait.

Havent fished there for a month or so and i am surprised there still hanging!

Cheers and go the raw kingie

Ceph, Mate have you calabrated your sounders temp......over the last few reports where you mentioned the temp it has not match my temp readings of MH...

I know it varies but nowhere in MH has it been 16 degrees for a while.

Many people are not aware but all sounders need to have there temp calibrated....sometimes they are out by up to 3 degrees......Just a thought mate

Ceph, Mate have you calabrated your sounders temp......over the last few reports where you mentioned the temp it has not match my temp readings of MH...

I know it varies but nowhere in MH has it been 16 degrees for a while.

Many people are not aware but all sounders need to have there temp calibrated....sometimes they are out by up to 3 degrees......Just a thought mate

Netic

I haven't calibrated it.. I will try that next time.

If the temp is till up, that is a good thing.

To the Sounder Manual I go..... :biggrin2:

Cheers

C.

mate the best thing to do is grab a therometer and hold it in the water for a while...then check the temp on that and compared it to the temp on your sounder....I used a fish tank therometer so i can get the .5 of a degree right aswell...