Electric Motor Advice

Davemmm

I have found myself with a little money spare and am contemplating an electric.

Having only seen them from a distance and never been on a boat that uses one I am seeking the combined FR wisdom.

I fish in a 13' tinney and hit a lot of shallow flats for whiting, bream and flatties as well as in and around structure for bream. Now from what I gather this is the ideal style of fishing with an electric. I realise that the bulk of fisho's who use them are sp heads but I can see a lot of advantage for bait fishos as well.

My questions are these:-

How much would I expect to pay?

What features should I look for?

Do they suit all style of boats?

How hard are they to use?

Do those who own them recommend there use or have they been a wasted purchase?

Dave

hi davemmm i have a jarvis walker leccy 54pnd bow mount honestly i dont know how i fished with out it they are so bloody good perfect for the fishn you do it just comes down to how much you wanna spend i would say deffinatly bow mount is a must so your hands r free to do the fishn mine is nearly 12 months old now and the only prob iv had is the contacts in the foot pedal which i believe was my own fault by being lazy and leaving it in the boat when not useing it out in the weather i contacted jarvis about the prob they sent a new pedal up straight away no questions asked had it in 3 days even thou they are only new to the market i reccon they are worth every cent oh yeah its on a 375 quinny, with ply floor,2 adults 1 kid,battery so on it ill push us along all day at a very reasonable speed from the power of 1 battery

cheers mich

I have a quick question that Ive been unable to find an answer for on the Minn Kota website.

Do the minn kota bow mount motors have reverse ?

A friend has a 55lb JW bowmount and it has no reverse, you need to spin the motor around to effect reverse, which when drifting in towards oyster leases takes time and has caused a few scratches and bumps.

I think having a button to push with your foot, to stop the boats motion easily and quickly would be good.

Andy

Nope - Riptide bowmounts don't have a reverse (nor does the Maxxum) - AFAIK none of the foot pedal models do. The later models of Riptide have 3x faster servos for turning the motor. If you are worried about it, get a cable steer Maxxum or equivalent, you can spin it 180 degrees very quickly - or don't drift so close to the leases! Personally, I prefer Riptides though, the cable steer requires you to have your foot too high up in the air on the pedal.

As for davemmm's original question as to their usefulness - I can't fish without one! Absolutely indispensable!

Ben.

Dave

I have a 45lb bow mount minn kota (freshwater model from my trout/cod fishing days) on my 435 hornet trophy and it will be 10 years old in march and i have never had a problem with it, but i have never used it in the salt. Alhough it had an extensive work out for about 6 of those years. Now that i am living on the coast i have had a few questions on how the freshwater models work in the saltwater so i flick minn kota a email and i had a reply within a couple of days and now i am looking at a new bow mount (most likely a minn kota just as the old one has been so good).

I hate fishing without the electric mostly when drifting it was very handy to pull the boat back onto line or fishing around the oyster leases.

Wouldn't go past a bow mount if you have the extra money as you use less power, steering is more direct as it pulls the nose instead of pushing the hole boat around, you can steer the boat from any possie in the boat and you have hands free to fish/cast or drink.

dave