Cunjevoi On The Northern Beaches

Geton_fish

Morning Raiders,

Does anyone know where this bait can be collected up in the Northern Beaches?

I've searched far and wide looking for a platform that isn't protected from some sort of legislation where you can collect it from.

Any help would be appreciated.

:biggrin2:

Hi Geton_fish

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to Fishraider!! The best fishing forum on the web!! Just ask & all will be revealed ...... well, nearly all!!!

Around Sydney, you aren't allowed to cut the cunje off the rocks, so the best plan is to search all the beaches in your area after any really rough seas. Even if you do find a spot you are allowed to harvest some - it can still be dangerous. The best stuff is at the low tide mark & any swell at all makes it very dangerous to be in that area. Safety is paramount.

After rough weather, just after high tide is best, as this is when it is washed up high onto the beach. It is knocked off the rocks (or pulled off by the kelp to which it can also be attached) and gets washed up onto the beach. It is then just a matter of taking a bucket & a saw of some sort (those little hole saws are good) to cut it up & collect it, take it home & either salt it and/or freeze it for when you need it.

If you have a lot of surfie friends or others that walk the beaches, get them to inform you whenever they see any! Otherwise, every few days, just go & have a look. Most people don't realise that it is a great bait & just ignore it.

How to tell Fresh cunje from 'off' cunje on the beach:

Stand on the clump of cunje & if it spits water out, it is fresh. Personally, this is the stuff I prefer. Even the fresh stuff smells (takes a while to get it off your fingers ...) but the older stuff really sinks!

When you stand on it, if the clump just collapses & brown stuff oozes out, it is 'off'. You can still use the old stuff, but it really, really stinks & won't stay on the hook at all well. Not a good thing if going out on a date later in the day!! It is Good to use as burley - just tread on it & throw the whole thing into the hole/gutter - the juices will just leach out slowly.

We are having some rough seas up here just now, so I would assume Sydney would be too. Good luck with your hunting!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Geton_fish

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to Fishraider!! The best fishing forum on the web!! Just ask & all will be revealed ...... well, nearly all!!!

Around Sydney, you aren't allowed to cut the cunje off the rocks, so the best plan is to search all the beaches in your area after any really rough seas. Even if you do find a spot you are allowed to harvest some - it can still be dangerous. The best stuff is at the low tide mark & any swell at all makes it very dangerous to be in that area. Safety is paramount.

After rough weather, just after high tide is best, as this is when it is washed up high onto the beach. It is knocked off the rocks (or pulled off by the kelp to which it can also be attached) and gets washed up onto the beach. It is then just a matter of taking a bucket & a saw of some sort (those little hole saws are good) to cut it up & collect it, take it home & either salt it and/or freeze it for when you need it.

If you have a lot of surfie friends or others that walk the beaches, get them to inform you whenever they see any! Otherwise, every few days, just go & have a look. Most people don't realise that it is a great bait & just ignore it.

How to tell Fresh cunje from 'off' cunje on the beach:

Stand on the clump of cunje & if it spits water out, it is fresh. Personally, this is the stuff I prefer. Even the fresh stuff smells (takes a while to get it off your fingers ...) but the older stuff really sinks!

When you stand on it, if the clump just collapses & brown stuff oozes out, it is 'off'. You can still use the old stuff, but it really, really stinks & won't stay on the hook at all well. Not a good thing if going out on a date later in the day!! It is Good to use as burley - just tread on it & throw the whole thing into the hole/gutter - the juices will just leach out slowly.

We are having some rough seas up here just now, so I would assume Sydney would be too. Good luck with your hunting!!

Cheerio

Roberta

roberta.. for the first time i had a quick look on the beach near our pig spot and loaded up on the cunji.....

lost 2 pigs and the kelpies are all full lol ty 4 da tip...

Yay! Flathead fanatic!! That is the way to go!! Just watch out for your saw/knife when cutting the top off the cunje - it will blunt it faster than I can say BLUNT!!

What on earth are Kelpies?? I only know the canine version! I am guessing they are wrasse/rock cod??

Hope everyone gets into the free, safe stuff. So easy to gather! It will freeze forever!

Cheerio

Roberta

Yay! Flathead fanatic!! That is the way to go!! Just watch out for your saw/knife when cutting the top off the cunje - it will blunt it faster than I can say BLUNT!!

What on earth are Kelpies?? I only know the canine version! I am guessing they are wrasse/rock cod??

Hope everyone gets into the free, safe stuff. So easy to gather! It will freeze forever!

Cheerio

Roberta

i think they are rock cale....

those brown spotted cods that lie all over reefs all the time.... if they were rock cod they would already be baking lol poor mans lobster lol

so many ppl don't eat maori wrasse but eat parrotfish ..... maori wrasse smoke up great...