Build Your Own Trailer

Guest DV8

Next year I am enrolled to learn to use the MIG at TAFE with a view to build a new trailer.

The big problem with trailers is that they are always built just on, or under spec. Load them up on your anual pilgrimages and sooner or alter they snap - well mine did anyway.

So I went looking for other guys who did it and I found this link. Maybe building trailers is not yourn thing but it is worth looking at these pages to learn a bit more about trailers.

http://egyptian.net/~raymacke/Tralier1.html

Davo

Davo

You should have a great time at the course....And get your trailer finished as well....

I have MIG, Stick and Oxy, and MIG is great ! (Fast, easy & good welds) I have built a trailer and if you take your time, plan well it should be great.. I'm up the top end of the coast, so if you have any Q's...just ask..

Geoff

Hi Davo, I wish you all the best with your project and as the old saying goes "if you want something done right, do it yourself"

One word of caution though, if you are in NSW the trailer will have to be cerftified by the RTA to get a VIN and that is not an easy process. You will require this VIN plate to get it registered.

If I can help you with anything please ask,

Huey.

Next year I am enrolled to learn to use the MIG at TAFE with a view to build a new trailer.

The big problem with trailers is that they are always built just on, or under spec. Load them up on your anual pilgrimages and sooner or alter they snap - well mine did anyway.

So I went looking for other guys who did it and I found this link. Maybe building trailers is not yourn thing but it is worth looking at these pages to learn a bit more about trailers.

http://egyptian.net/~raymacke/Tralier1.html

Davo

Hi

If you are going to get it galvanised talk to the galvanizers before you start as they will want holes and stuff at all gussets etc etc.

If copying a trailer design makes sure you speak with the builder and check out what grade and brand of steel they are using as they is much crap steel around although it looks the same they differ greatly. They guys that engineer trailers for the big companies often scrimp down to the smallest possible crossections and wall thickness but they have crontrolled workshops and quality consistant welders so you may have to go up a little to get same build strength and use gussets etc.

heavier metal will mean weight so make sure you don't go overweight or over your towing capacity. You may / will require a weighbridge certificate.

Speak with a blue slip provider now to check what is required for a complying home made trailer these days because if you tell em it's new some may ask for a engineers certificate to cover their butts. Do your liason now to save any heartache. some will just tell you your trailer is pre 198.. and stamp a couple of numbers on it and away you go- oops did I just say that.

The sample trailer in your post has so many of the issues Aussie trailers had 20 years ago so better to look at later designs and as usual all that Canadian freshwater doesn't attack the stress points and welds like the Aussie salt water. I only hope that Canadian has a lightweight boat

Have you thought about doing it in ally if your boat is lightweight as you maintainance will be a lot less if you use the right grades and right welding wires/ gas.

Have fun