Mercury Gear-shift Problems

numbnuts

Hi guys, I have a 60 hp Merc (1999/2000 model) on a c/console.The problem I am having is that although the gearbox is working fine ,the shift from N to Reverse is very stiff and takes quite a bit of effort to move.I have now replaced the cables & tracked them along a smoother path to the donk so they work great.Problem is in the shift mechanism ,it seems to be highly tensioned some how.Has anyone had a similar problem? if so how did you fix it? :1badmood:

When you say its still stiff going into reverse (after re-routing the shift cables) , i assume that you have the engine running while trying it?

Its usually very difficult to engauge the gears with the engine off, and may cause damage if you force too hard.

Some Merc control boxes have a throttle friction knob, but that doesnt sound like the problem

Craig from Huett Marine is a sponser on here and will probably appear on the next day and may help.

Rod

Hi Numbnuts, as Rod mentioned make sure the engine is running, because if you are trying to shift without the outboard running the reverse gear and clutch may not be aligned and therefore without spinning the propshaft it will be hard to engage.

C/consoles are notorious for hard shifting and steering because of the number of bends the cables need to do compared to the runabout style of setup.

Is it hard to change gears when the control cable is removed for the engine? Again as Rod mentioned there is a fricton control on your control box.

I hope where you got the cable from did the right thing by you and sold you the platinium cable from Merc. This is a grey cable that is HEAPS easier to shift than the older design black cables. If you have a black cable take it back and get yourself the platinium cable especially considering you have a console boat. While you are at it replace both cables to platinium if not already and you will see a huge difference in easy of shifting and accelerating.

If you have any questions please ask,

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks for the reply fellas, The cables are the black type, the problem is that on the water if you try to shift into reverse you really have to force it into position.I thought it was the cables so I re-routed them but it was no better.I then disconnected the cables from the engine ( the cables run smoothly) & shifted the lever manually. this is where it is hard to move, it goes into gear & runs OK it just takes a lot of effort as if it is sprung to tightly or something like that.Hope this makes things a little clearer,thanks in advance.

HI Numbnuts, get yourself the platinium cables and your problems will be solved. The dealer you got them from should really of sold you them anyway because that is pretty much all we fit now on new rigs powered by Mercs, they are ALOT better. Changing the gears by hand is quite hard becasue of the spring in the clutch dog in the gearbox, so as long as you can change gears by hand with the cables dissconnected the the outboard is fine.

Cheers,

Huey.

• 9 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but i am having the same problem and would like to know if these 'platinum' cables are still the same ones today or is there a new version of platinum cables. when typing mercury platinum cables online, can only find 'CC189 MERCURY/MERCRUISER GEN II cables'. Are these the new version of platinum cables?
I pretty much the exact same problem as OP and dont want to buy a new set of cables which wont end up fixing anything.

im running a 2003 mercury 60 HP elpto bigfoot on a 4.5m centre console tinny.