Hairtail

abiasin

hi guys just a quick report, went out with a few mates last night to chase hairtail in the cowan and managed only 2 in the boat, with countless others dropped.

both fish caught wernt even hooked in the mouth, is there a trick to a particular type of hook to use as we used gangs and all types of single hooks for heaps of bites but after a few seconds on the fish the hooks just come loose practically every time.

we fished from around 8 30pm till 2am and recko we lost easily over 30 fish.

other than that it was a good night next to quinfish and offtap who i believe alos got a few.

when i fished for them years ago we used gangs under a float and my mate instructed me to wait till the float was under for a count of about 5/6 seconds before striking! we both had 1 hit each and caught them both!

When you feel the weight and the rod loads up strike repeatedly until you get a solid hook up.

If the hookup doesnt come ,let your bait back down and the hairtail will hit it again and strike multiple times to set the hook.

Cheers Stewy

When you feel the weight and the rod loads up strike repeatedly until you get a solid hook up.

If the hookup doesnt come ,let your bait back down and the hairtail will hit it again and strike multiple times to set the hook.

Cheers Stewy

You make it sound so easy Stewy, but they were playing real hard to get , maybe there getting smarter :074: Me, Ray (On Edge) and buddy Joe ended up with 19 after a 5 hour stint last night, super cold and super dark, we dropped around 40 or so and picked up the occasional 2 every now and then. Buddy Joe killed it with 13 of the fish, he only missed around 20. :074: Great to catch up with Adrian and Rob and crew once again.

A pic of the first few boated.

post-1870-1184479778_thumb.jpg

You make it sound so easy Stewy, but they were playing real hard to get , maybe there getting smarter :074:

i have to agree with this statement as we were striking repetedly but they bites were so timid. a boat opposite us was catching them like they were going out of fashion on what we believe was some sort of soft plastic, he was burleying quite heavily and you could see fish jumping around behind his boat the whole time as he had a big spottie pointing at the water. he was on every 3-5mins repetedly for at least 2 hrs, while we didnt even get a sniff.

hey fishy fingers there is no way im getting in that water, it was cold enough being dry.

i might have to try again next weekend if the boat is ready.

hey fishy fingers there is no way im getting in that water, it was cold enough being dry.

hahaha it has been freezing!

I might be up there next weekend too, gotto see how my boat fixing excapades go first!

If i can get the boat relatively waterless, I'll be up there Saturday night ... fingers crossed!

:1worthy: NICE CATCH !

can some one give me some tips on hairtail

i didnt know you should use a float! how far under the float do you set your baits

i tried the other night unwaited, or with a couple of split shots on. with no success

what locations and water depth should i be fishing in?

thanks

Edited by CaineS

i didnt know you should use a float! how far under the float do you set your baits

i tried the other night unwaited, or with a couple of split shots on. with no success

thanks

Hi buddy we gave the floats away after we scored the first few fish down deep, we caught all on unweighted pillies or squid(pillies worked best) fish different depths from mid water to a couple of metres off bottom, but keep an eye on rod as they are a bugger to hook, try jerusalem bay up near shallows. Cheers Dave

Hi buddy we gave the floats away after we scored the first few fish down deep, we caught all on unweighted pillies or squid(pillies worked best) fish different depths from mid water to a couple of metres off bottom, but keep an eye on rod as they are a bugger to hook, try jerusalem bay up near shallows. Cheers Dave

:offtopic: sorry to hijack your post, how shallow are we talking

:1worthy: NICE CATCH !

thanks

we also gave the floats away and fished completely unweighted, the two fish we got were caught not more than 2-3 metres under the boat. the shallows dave is talking about is really shallow where the water goes from 13metres to exposed sandbar in not too much distance.

Guest MRS WATTO

Good report Adrain,

Sounds like fun, Could you hear that Voice calling out HEY DAVE

I think we all should hit the water Saturday Nite, I think its time for WATTO to take the boat out!!!!

Good report Adrain,

I think we all should hit the water Saturday Nite, I think its time for WATTO to take the boat out!!!!

As long as he has his Radio turned off , if your going

Guest MRS WATTO

As long as he has his Radio turned off , if your going

Hey Dave

Of course I will be going out fishing for hairtail. Radio will be on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

isn't there NOISE restrictions on the Hawkesbury?

Its not just noise your talking about, it is absolute agony to the ears, last week it brought tears to my eyes, couldnt sleep a wink, but then again didnt mind staying up drinking all night, oh yeh and fishing.

i have to agree with this statement as we were striking repetedly but they bites were so timid. a boat opposite us was catching them like they were going out of fashion on what we believe was some sort of soft plastic, he was burleying quite heavily and you could see fish jumping around behind his boat the whole time as he had a big spottie pointing at the water. he was on every 3-5mins repetedly for at least 2 hrs, while we didnt even get a sniff.

That was me mate, got 40 fish and dropped atleast 100. Biggest fish we landed was 5' though we dropped quite a few 6'+ fish at the back of the boat.

I was using Pillies, Tailor and Yellowtail (strips) on a special rig with a glow stick (didn't make any difference wether there was one on there or not).

Im not sure wether the spotlight had anything to do with keeping them around but atleast it didn't put them off. The burley was just cubed pillchards, just chucked in a few every now and them to keep them interested.

The first few hours was crazy around there, could even go inside to grab a drink without hooking up (had to leave the bait out of the water if i wanted to have something to eat or drink :074: )

They where buggers to hook last night, they where very finicky and not getting the bait down (on several occasions i thought they where well hooked until them came to the surface and just let the baits go). Free spooling the fish and allowing them to run seemed to help abit but not a hell of alot.

There great fish to catch on the light gear (4lb).

Cheers,

Fletcher

That was me mate, got 40 fish and dropped atleast 100. Biggest fish we landed was 5' though we dropped quite a few 6'+ fish at the back of the boat.

I was using Pillies, Tailor and Yellowtail (strips) on a special rig with a glow stick (didn't make any difference wether there was one on there or not).

Im not sure wether the spotlight had anything to do with keeping them around but atleast it didn't put them off. The burley was just cubed pillchards, just chucked in a few every now and them to keep them interested.

The first few hours was crazy around there, could even go inside to grab a drink without hooking up (had to leave the bait out of the water if i wanted to have something to eat or drink :074: )

They where buggers to hook last night, they where very finicky and not getting the bait down (on several occasions i thought they where well hooked until them came to the surface and just let the baits go). Free spooling the fish and allowing them to run seemed to help abit but not a hell of alot.

There great fish to catch on the light gear (4lb).

Cheers,

Fletcher

actually i did notice the minute you put the rod down and went in the thing started to go off very funny. i used a flasher rig as i didnt have a spotlight and it seemed to bring on a lot more hits for us. wattos sells them in green and they light up the water something fierce.

we tried for yakkas at west head but couldnt find any as we were originally going to chase jewies but afte speaking to dave we changed our minds.

Good report Adrain,

no it was quite peacefull in the bay last night, anthony did mention he could still hear your voice echoeing through the hawkesbury though.

i am hoping to get out but am unsure if my boat will be sorted as my 6month old staffy likes to checw on bungs, trailer brake lights, cables and anything and everything he can reach.

let me know if you are planning to head out.

Guest MRS WATTO

isn't there NOISE restrictions on the Hawkesbury?

MARTIN

HAWKESBURY IS HUGE, DONT LIKE THE NOISE , CAN ALWAYS MOVE :074::074::074::074:

Gotta love those staffies hey mate,my one is an absolute nutta as well

yeah he is being a real pest these last couple of weeks. he is american staff with a tiny bit of lab. he is called zeus bt in hind sight should av been called destructo.

yeah he is being a real pest these last couple of weeks. he is american staff with a tiny bit of lab. he is called zeus bt in hind sight should av been called destructo.

hijacking thread for a sec. buy Kongs from a pet store and stuff them with treats, fill ends with peanut butter and freeze. Will keep the dog amused for a while. He is only chewing cause he is bored