Reel Service

muscle_17

Hi, :thumbup:

just would like to know what is the average price of having a reel serviced at a tackle shop?

Also, what are the things they do when they service it, is it necessary?

i have an Okuma Avenger 20 that is over 1.5 years old, that hasnt ever been serviced, when i turn the handle it doesnt work smoothly.... feels like its corroded inside maybe. I also have an Okuma Inspira 20, works fine, but might be good to service it, as its an expensive reel, and would'nt want to damage it.

Let me know.

Thanks

You have to remember Muscle...the reels you mention are worlds apart. The AV 20 will always be the lower performing reel.

Having said that, I have a cheap Catera that I stripped, cleaned all the grease out of, and used oil on the gears and a LIGHTER machine oil on all other parts...and its like a new reel! Try using 2 differnt grades of oil. Heavier oil on all the gears and contact points, and the lighter stuff on the rest. :thumbup:

jocool.

in my disposal, ive got motor vechile Grease, Engine oil, and INOX.

Now would it be ok, if i open up my reel cover, and around all gears, clean it out with some kerosene or petrol. To get rid off all the oil in it (cause my oils old and black)

Then after i clean it, is it ok too apply motor oil on all the gears? or should i use grease?

Thanks.

Edit: Today i used grease and it kinda makes the reel feel harder to operate. think the grease consistancy makes it a bit harder....

Motor oil and grease are WAY too thick to be putting in your reel. You need LIGHT machine oil...Much like Singer sewing machine oil.

Try not to use Kero to clean the reel parts as it is too abrasive. Nick down to the hardware and get some white spirits. Its a good solvent and will evaporate quickly. Thats what you need! :thumbup:

Motor oil and grease are WAY too thick to be putting in your reel. You need LIGHT machine oil...Much like Singer sewing machine oil.

Try not to use Kero to clean the reel parts as it is too abrasive. Nick down to the hardware and get some white spirits. Its a good solvent and will evaporate quickly. Thats what you need! :thumbup:

22124[/snapback]

Jocool, so i guess i should buy some Reel oil, cost like 3 buks per bottle, and its made by Jarvis Walker, They also sell Reel Grease, might use that for some parts.

Would you think its ok to use methylated spirits to clean the parts?

thanks mate :thumbup:

The Jarvis Walker reel oil is good to use as the thicker oil for the gears...but try and get something lighter as well. Their grease I fiind is too thick. Try the Daiwa grease as it seems better to me, although a bit pricier. :thumbdown:

Metho is a bit better than kero. If thats all you have, it should be cool. Just remember that when you clean the parts you scrub em with an old tooth brush to get all the gunk out of the little nooks and cranies. I also usually blow them dry with an air gun.

The Jarvis Walker reel oil is good to use as the thicker oil for the gears...but try and get something lighter as well. Their grease I fiind is too thick. Try the Daiwa grease as it seems better to me, although a bit pricier. :thumbdown:

Metho is a bit better than kero. If thats all you have, it should be cool. Just remember that when you clean the parts you scrub em with an old tooth brush to get all the gunk out of the little nooks and cranies. I also usually blow them dry with an air gun.

22158[/snapback]

Ok, so ive got Inox - im thinking this is a light oil right?

And ive got some reel grease, and metho.

Im thinking of opening the reel body, cleaning it out with metho and a soft brush, then using my aircompressor to get rid of all the shmuck.

Then ill apply reel grease to all the gears inside the reel body, then close it up.

Now where do i apply the lighter machine oil?

Cause im confused on what parts to put it on, cause im sure it wont be sufficient to put on the gears..

thanks jocool :thumbup:

You have the right idea as far as cleaning it. Just be careful with your compressor...You dont want to blow all the little parts away. :risata:

What I do is smear a bit of grease on the gear teeth, but ONLY on the teeth. You dont need to smear the whole gear in grease. All points on the reel where the gears will rub against the casing or any other parts will get a smidge of grease.

The oil is used on the drive shafts, and the bearings. Dont put grease on the bearings like I did the first time. It just clags up and makes them too stiff. Couple of little drops on all bearings and bushes is all that is needed. Spin them round so the oil gets into the bearings good...then put them back in position. A drop of oil on the spindle of the handle and along the thread of the handle will just about see it done.

Don't use a lot of oil on the anti-reverse bearing. It doesnt need much. If you over oil it, it may slip, and leave you with NO anti-reverse. A drop of oil on the length of the drive shaft that the spool sits on, and the the little star gear under the spool...And your done.

One little thing that I always do that may, or may not make a difference, is that I dip the screw threads in a bit of grease. My thinking is that if they are greased they will not hold moisture and will not sieze in place at a later date. I also run a very fine bead of grease around the housing cover to act as a kind of gasket to slow the ingress of water.

Remember, with grease and oil...less is better. Use just enough to do the job...no more.

One last point. Don't get any oil or grease on your drag washers. Thats a big NONO. :thumbdown:

Again, this is just my method. Others may have differing ideas! :thumbup:

You have the right idea as far as cleaning it. Just be careful with your compressor...You dont want to blow all the little parts away. :risata:

What I do is smear a bit of grease on the gear teeth, but ONLY on the teeth. You dont need to smear the whole gear in grease. All points on the reel where the gears will rub against the casing or any other parts will get a smidge of grease.

The oil is used on the drive shafts, and the bearings. Dont put grease on the bearings like I did the first time. It just clags up and makes them too stiff. Couple of little drops on all bearings and bushes is all that is needed. Spin them round so the oil gets into the bearings good...then put them back in position. A drop of oil on the spindle of the handle and along the thread of the handle will just about see it done.

Don't use a lot of oil on the anti-reverse bearing. It doesnt need much. If you over oil it, it may slip, and leave you with NO anti-reverse. A drop of oil on the length of the drive shaft that the spool sits on, and the the little star gear under the spool...And your done.

One little thing that I always do that may, or may not make a difference, is that I dip the screw threads in a bit of grease. My thinking is that if they are greased they will not hold moisture and will not sieze in place at a later date. I also run a very fine bead of grease around the housing cover to act as a kind of gasket to slow the ingress of water.

Remember, with grease and oil...less is better. Use just enough to do the job...no more.

One last point. Don't get any oil or grease on your drag washers. Thats a big NONO. :thumbdown:

Again, this is just my method. Others may have differing ideas! :thumbup:

22176[/snapback]

jocool,

the drag washer is the one you see when you take off the spool right?

i think my reel is harder to spin now, cause i have drowned it in motor vechile grease :05:

Also, Thanks alot for the info you have provided. will get back and let you know the results..if i do it all properly :biggrin2:

If i ever see your boat on the water ill call out, and thank you personally :beersmile: