Info Wanted

possumm

Hay everyone I'm new to Fishraider looking for info

I have just got myself a 95 haines Signature 492 with a 90 Yamaha pushing her

I'm wanting to know how far out it is to the reefs off sydney

Will my boat be ok for out there

I have been thinking of going out to browns but dont really know how far out it is ?

Also looking for reds

anyone help on this

thanks

:1fishing1:

Edited by possumm

Welcome to FishRaider

Nice sounding rig you have there. It should move along nicely with the realitivally light weight 90hp on the back.

Most importantly get to know your rig before heading offshore. Im not sure if this is your first boat or not. Id say do at least 2-3 outings inshore to gain confidience in your rig. Buy that i mean handling perks, stability, behaviour and mechanical reliability. Move out to the heads and then further as time goes by. Make sure you have the correct safety equipment of course.

Personally I would be more than comfortable taking that boat out to around 2-5 miles from shelter on calm to average days. They arent a overly huge boat in proportions for their length and ive heard they can be a littly rocky and tender at rest. Thats the pay off for having a "hi-tech" hull underneath. Rocky doesnt mean it will capsize, but just wobbly.

There are reefs at all distances and depths off Sydney. Even 1mile out there is some good water. Are you planning to fish out of Broken Bay or the Harbour etc most often? You could get dozens of suggestions from Stanwell park to Terrigal on here !

Browns is around 22miles from Botany Bay Heads. I would not suggest going in your boat at all. Yes, im sure you could make it out there, but i dont think anyone on this site would encourage it.

A number of the guys on here have been geting reasonable Red's recently in water 15-65m deep which equates to less than 5 miles out in most cases.

Be friendly and get to know a few people on here and you might even score a ride with someone for your first few offshore trips, or pair up with another boat for added safety/confidence.

cheers

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the Welcome guys Sorry about the slow reply.. Been a little bit busy with work

I love my new 2nd hand boat I will have to list a cupple of pics of it some time

I have been getting out at least once a fortnight and having a play

I live in liver pool at the moment but I work in hornsby so I'm looking to move to the central coast soon (next few weeks )Hope to rent a house on ST Huberts Island with the back yard that has a boat ramp ( Very Nice :1fishing1: )

Oh and for the fact I lost my drivers licence opps

I can come home of a night jump in the boat for a cupple of hours almost every night how good is that :thumbup:

I'm wanting to get into snapper fishing (I'm kiwi miss the snapper back home)

I have taken the boat out in the rough a cupple of times and I have to say she handles like a charm I want to start taking her out side a bit more in search of snapper and kings and maybe yellowfin and stripies

Thinking up a name for my boat is hard

Can anyone tell me is it possable to get from ST Huberts Island to the open ocean I know that sounds stupid but I heard there is like a where thing between birsbane water and the open sea dont know if its true

anyways better get back to work now

PS hoping to meet new buddies

Oh forgot to add how do I tell different things on the bottem on my sounder like say and and rock already lost 1 anchor and almost lost another

I have a Eagle SeaCharter 500C

Thanks in advance

I'm looking to move to the central coast soon (next few weeks )Hope to rent a house on ST Huberts Island with the back yard that has a boat ramp ( Very Nice :1fishing1: )

Lucky boy !

When we bought our current house around Hornsby about 21 years ago, the houses St Huberts were not much more $$$ .... but at the time the Central Coast wasnt really considered a location good for commuting to the city with public transport. Now its almost the normal ! Bugger ... gotta love hindsight.

Can anyone tell me is it possable to get from ST Huberts Island to the open ocean I know that sounds stupid but I heard there is like a where thing between birsbane water and the open sea dont know if its true

Yes there is, Go down the channel under the St Huburts Bridge, turn left and go under the rip bridge, then snake towards Killcare. Watch the nav makers as there is plenty of sandbars, shoals and strong currents. You get to Half Tide Rocks and do a hairpin turn around them, still watching the nav markers then head out to sea. There is somewhat of a "bar" at the enterance between half tide rocks and box head that WILL BREAK in a strong southerlyish swell, but its normally pretty tame. Im not sure if its classed officially as a bar (needing PFD1's to be worn by law when crossing) I stress the importance to look at the nav markers as it can be a fairly tricky area

Im from Hornsby and normally fish out of Broken Bay. Up to Terrigal and down to Long Reef. Stay active on the forums here and maybe we can pair up boats when it gets a bit warmer. I can perhaps show you some of my lousy spots and give you some piece of mind offshore together the first few trips.

cheers

Rod

:1welcomeani: Possumm,

How is the boat going for you??

Paul mate I did not know it was the paul I got the boat from how are you doin champ

Thank you so much for the boat I love it :yahoo:

Your a top bloke you and me got to go :1fishing1:

have you got a new boat yet champ

Hey Darren,

Glad to see that you like the boat mate.

I miss her heaps. :(

We will definately have to get out for a fish.

I am still looking for a new boat.

Hopefully I can get one before summer.