Central Coast Drummer

coastspinna

went for a bash to catch the high tide today and get in a fish before the change

couldn't fish for a while cause the surf was pumpin and our ledge was gettin smashed... went up the rocks and killed time for an hour...

post-4939-1184840115_thumb.jpg

came back and caught two drummer nothin special both round 35cm got bricked by a few decent ones...

couple of weeks and they should be out in force...

post-4939-1184840156_thumb.jpg

post-4939-1184840270_thumb.jpg

swell was rising big time this arvo and coming from the south...

our spot is good in swells up to 3 m so it has been prime in the last week...

Bait used was bread and we burleyed a little often...... small hooks are essential ... these fish like most drummer were caught right up in the wash in a place where it is hard to fish anything other than lightly weighted bread breads or cunji ( or fresh ab gut) ... this spot is a popular beach on the coast but hardly anyone chases pigs here... i snorkel a fair bit and that has opened my eyes up about where to fish for drummer...holes behind cunji banks and sloping cabbage covered rocks may be the gun spots but there are drummer lurking round most headlands this time of year... find a wash... you need swell to be breakin for drummer to fire but dont risk your life rockfishing is dangerous DON'T GO ALONE

gl all flatty fanaticcc :1fishing1:

dont risk your life rockfishing is dangerous DON'T GO ALONE

Good advice there mate.

Well done on your effort there, bad luck about the ones that got away.

Hey guys,

Great work with the drummer!

At times i think you can minimise risks and confidently fish alone. I wear a PFD and cleats, warm clothing and choose my spots and conditions carefully. I also strap my rod and gear to my back so i can climb properly and of course let someone know where im at.

I say fish alone if need be, but use your head. :1Lighten:

Cheers,

Bobfish

Hey guys,

Great work with the drummer!

At times i think you can minimise risks and confidently fish alone. I wear a PFD and cleats, warm clothing and choose my spots and conditions carefully. I also strap my rod and gear to my back so i can climb properly and of course let someone know where im at.

I say fish alone if need be, but use your head. :1Lighten:

Cheers,

Bobfish

thats good advice.....

i've seen mates go in and it ain't pretty..

kingies til i die...

i like em.... keep em alive til just before you go then bleed em and they are good...nice thick fillets

came back and caught two drummer nothin special both round 35cm got bricked by a few decent ones...

well done mate. drummer are really on fire this time of the year. what line strength do u use?

at the moment we are fishing right inshore on light gear... i use my flatty rod and i've been usin 9lb mono cause there are no monsters yet but i step it up to the heavy stuff everywhere else 15 lb and 10 ft rod...i use whatever mono i can get for cheap cause you use a bit

its pretty fun sluggin it out with these boys on light gear.... using 6lb line the other day i hooked heaps of fish but had multiple bust offs and landed 2...

9 lb seems like a good compromise to me at the moment cause you can put a suprising amount of hurt on but still get a lot of interest.

big drummer 2kg+ require 15-20 lb line and a reel that can pull 4 kg drag at least.... or an alvey

gl :1fishing1:

big drummer 2kg+ require 15-20 lb line and a reel that can pull 4 kg drag at least.... or an alvey

gl :1fishing1:

i fish with 20 lb mono on an Abu 6600C4 baitcaster and 13 ft zebco rhino DF stick. never let me down yet with the 2kg drummer. want to catch those 3kg+

cant wait for more reports from you

cheers

bertrand

i fish with 20 lb mono on an Abu 6600C4 baitcaster and 13 ft zebco rhino DF stick. never let me down yet with the 2kg drummer. want to catch those 3kg+

cant wait for more reports from you

cheers

bertrand

thats a nice setup can you cast light baits far with the abu?? we've mainly been fishing bread cause of the by catch of bream and trevors at the moment which is why i'm on the light rods.... plus its so much fun... this is strictly inshore though more beach fishing than rockfishing... you could catch big drummer on that setup no problems even small to mid gropers...are you using cunji? we are off again today hopefully more to report

:1fishing1:

thats a nice setup can you cast light baits far with the abu?? we've mainly been fishing bread cause of the by catch of bream and trevors at the moment which is why i'm on the light rods.... plus its so much fun... this is strictly inshore though more beach fishing than rockfishing... you could catch big drummer on that setup no problems even small to mid gropers...are you using cunji? we are off again today hopefully more to report

:1fishing1:

the abu is not the best for light weight. anyway, i dont need to cast as i fish right down the ledge. with a float and sinker, i can get a decent cast if i want

fish mainly with peeled king prawns which is top bait on the rocks - catch anything, pricey though.

am not confident yet to use bread as bait. any tip?

the abu is not the best for light weight. anyway, i dont need to cast as i fish right down the ledge. with a float and sinker, i can get a decent cast if i want

fish mainly with peeled king prawns which is top bait on the rocks - catch anything, pricey though.

am not confident yet to use bread as bait. any tip?

give bread a crack... you really need to berley though... i usually put half a loaf in a bucket with some seawater and munch it up then put enough sand so its damp sand a handful now and then while fire em up stick with it... even usin prawns i berley with bread.... with your slice of bread i rip the crust off the break bits off 2cm by 3 cm.. hook once through the top then squash just the top bit round the shank leavin the main bit of bread fluffy hop this helps