Sounder Instructions For Dummies

SPARKY

I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A GARMIN 400 COLOUR SOUNDER AND HAD MY FIRST CHANCE TO USE IT SO I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND OFF I GO STILL NONE THE WISER.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WITH A SIMILAR SOUNDER THAT CAN GIVE ME SOME TIPS

EG: HOW CAN YOU TELL HARD BOTTOM, SOFT REEF, HARD REEF, GRAVEL, SAND, MUD ECT

AND HOW TO IDENTIFY WETHER ITS BAIT FISH OR A SINGLE FISH UNDER THE BOAT I HAD THE FISH ALARM ON AND THE FISH SYMBLES TO START JUST TO GET AN IDEA BUT WHAT WAS SHOWING AS LARGER FISH TURNED OUT TO BE 6 INCH CHIPPER TAYLOR.

I REALY NEED SOME HELP HERE AND I KNOW THAT IF I USE THE TRIAL AND ERROR THEORY I WILL EVENTUALLY LEARN BUT THIS WILL TAKE VALUABLE FISHING TIME WHICH I DO NOT HAVE MUCH OF IN THE FIRST PLACE.

SO I FIGURED THAT THERE MUST BE A FISHRAIDER MEMBER THAT WOULD BE GLAD TO SHARE HIS KNOLEDGE.

PLEASE

I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A GARMIN 400 COLOUR SOUNDER AND HAD MY FIRST CHANCE TO USE IT SO I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND OFF I GO STILL NONE THE WISER.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WITH A SIMILAR SOUNDER THAT CAN GIVE ME SOME TIPS

EG: HOW CAN YOU TELL HARD BOTTOM, SOFT REEF, HARD REEF, GRAVEL, SAND, MUD ECT

AND HOW TO IDENTIFY WETHER ITS BAIT FISH OR A SINGLE FISH UNDER THE BOAT I HAD THE FISH ALARM ON AND THE FISH SYMBLES TO START JUST TO GET AN IDEA BUT WHAT WAS SHOWING AS LARGER FISH TURNED OUT TO BE 6 INCH CHIPPER TAYLOR.

I REALY NEED SOME HELP HERE AND I KNOW THAT IF I USE THE TRIAL AND ERROR THEORY I WILL EVENTUALLY LEARN BUT THIS WILL TAKE VALUABLE FISHING TIME WHICH I DO NOT HAVE MUCH OF IN THE FIRST PLACE.

SO I FIGURED THAT THERE MUST BE A FISHRAIDER MEMBER THAT WOULD BE GLAD TO SHARE HIS KNOLEDGE.

PLEASE

yep sparky i sure can relate to your problem don't think you are alone with these freekies.

i've got a si-tex map sounder gps pro fish2 which i inherited with a mustang colt centre console i got from qld. i had sold my old yalta after a back op.

i can't follow the menu it's hopeless. the user instructions were written in double dutch and it's worse than a bloody computer. but thank heavens there are no help pages in a fish finder/gps like microsoft has to bamboozle you even further.

they make these hi tech ones for advanced people and they're useless for dummies it seems.

my old lowrence was never a problem. it was set right or something and you just did the gain bit and got used to watching it.

as far as the si-tex gps goes it would be better to keep a gregorys road map in the boat.

when i first used this si-tex there were fish everywhere on the screen so we stayed and fished on

when we got the boat onto the trailer at brooklyn, the carpark was still 70' deep like wobby.

there were dozens of fish under the bitumin but we just too fed up to fish in the car park and catch them .

help! could someone help sparky and give me a couple of plain english steps too ?

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1:

I forgot to mention that there is a really good book on the subject.

It is called Depth Sounder Secrets by Rick Huckstepp it cost me $14.99 from Witworhts, and is worth every cent

Depth Sounder Secrets

by Rick Huckstepp

ISBN 186513103-2

Cheers.

Robbie.