Sydney Harbour

Aries

A little late but here it is.

Last Thursday we headed out for an afternoon troll in the Harbour.

Arrived at Rose Bay ramp about 5.30pm and on the way out we saw a heap of surface action which looked to be taylor. We trolled around for a bit but did not get a touch.

Headed to Old Mans Hat and set the rods again and headed North it was only a couple of minutes and we had multiple hook ups - Slimey Mackrel, set the rod again and a Pike chomped on the Rapala Lure. Again set the Rods and as we were rounding the heads we saw a heap of surface action and seconds later again a double hook up. They both turned out to be Salmon, mine was about standard size but my friend pulled up this whale of a salmon, the bigest and fatest Salmon I have ever seen. after this we turned around and headed back over the action and hooked up dozens of times and caught Slimeys and Samon but on the end of the run heading back inside my mate hooked up to something big, we beleive a Kingie, he was trolling with a Rapala and the outfit was a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 and a 15 KG Wilson stick and this little baby took off, within 10 seconds he was reefed and lost the fish. Oh well that fishing, was the best afternoon on the water I have had for along time sorry I did not post earlier but things have been busy.

Tight Lines

Sounds like an action packed session. Those slimies can be top fun on light gear. It's a shame you dropped the monster, but like you said "that's fishing".  :1prop:  :1fishing1:

You should have stuck a big hook through one of the pike and sent it back out for a king.  :biggrin2:

22089[/snapback]

Your about the 10th person who has said that but at the time I wanted to throw it back cause it stunk so much. :biggrin2: Also we only took limited gear as we literally ran down after work, forgot the trace and to excited to stop and rig up. Last night I made a heap of traces with various setup. Next time. Also sorry should have posted in the lire reports.

those kingies are quite elusive early in the season, and once you have found them they quite often get the better of you as your expecting a taylor or salmon and before you know it you ve been busted up. anyway sounds like a good arvo. yeah nice one

I love the 6500, a serious alternative to an overhead. I love fishing with them!

How does it go with 15 kg ? 

Howard.

22143[/snapback]

We both brought 1 each (fishing partner that is) and I have used alot of highly rated rod and reels and I would say for live baiting and trolling it is one of the best reels I have used.

The fine tuning system at the rear of the reel is great when trolling. I have mine on a 10kg stick so I can use it for a bit of casting as well.

My Friend has the 15KG with Braid (very nice) mine has Mono which gives me a little flex in the line when trolling (not real good if a big king grabes it but love the battle)

Very happy with the purchase.

Sounds like you had a pretty good day out,I a very soft spot for slimeys along with just a bout every pelagic fish out I reckon.along with pikeys.

I read that you are using 15kg on the 6500's shimanos,I might stick my head out a little and suggest that on eggbeaters the max line class should really only be at 10kg.If you want to get a good life out of your expensive reel I would seriously have a double look at spooling up with 15kg.I have seen what happens in the aftermath when you hook onto things on the wrong gear .You send in the reel to the fixit guy at the shop and he opens it up to a mass of brass/aluminum filings and a serious bill,investing in something like a tld 25 will sort you out for the majority of things that you run across.

simon

Sounds like you had a pretty good day out,I  a very soft spot for slimeys along with just a bout every pelagic fish  out I reckon.along with pikeys.

I read that you are using 15kg on the 6500's shimanos,I might stick my head out a little and suggest that on eggbeaters the max line class should really only be at 10kg.If you want to get a good life out of your expensive reel I would seriously have a double look at spooling up with  15kg.I have seen what happens in the aftermath when you hook onto things on the wrong gear .You send in the reel to the fixit guy at the shop and he opens it up to a mass of brass/aluminum filings and a serious bill,investing in something like a tld 25 will sort you out for the majority of things that you run across.

simon

22457[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip, My fishing partner loaded his up with 24kg braid, mine 10kg mono. Still has a heap of go in it with 10.

Actually heading out this arvo for another go at that Kingie if the wind does not blow up.

The fine tuning system at the rear of the reel is great when trolling. I have mine on a 10kg stick so I can use it for a bit of casting as well.

When trolling, you will get much better hookups if you just fish the reel in gear, not with the baitrunner. If fishing 10kg line, set the drag to about 3-4kg.