Which Lures?

Morgo

hi guys i go bait fishing often but have recently decided to get into lures, especially soft plastics for jewies, kingies,bream flatties etc. so many to choose from which ones are best?

I live in sydney and own a small inflatable boat so can fish anywhere in Sydney Harbour or Botany Bay or Hawkesbury and Cowan

Edited by Morgo

There are specific types, styles and colours for different species.

Depending on where you're fishing, time of day, strength of current/tidal flow etc.

Just remember to go with as little weight as you can get away with, the lighter the better the action.

You'll be able to get the right advice if you share what sort of area you're fishing and what sort of structure there is there.

IFS

hey morgo

it can seem like a daunting task to pick some plastics with the proliferation of brands, types, scents, and all associated paraphernalia

my tip its to stick with some of the major brands in the popular shapes and colours and you'll be sweet.

squidgy, berkley, atomic are three i use often and seem to catch a few

shapes include shads (fish shaped), wriggler tails and stick baits

most work well. some need more action imparted on them to work though. stick baits have no in built action so you've gotta do all the work. on the other hand wrigglers and to a lesser extent shads have inbuilt action so need less persuasion to swim properly

one more thing. it is fundamentally important to make sure that you position the plastic on the hook dead straight. if it is out of alignment then the little bugger will twist and turn in the water generally making and unwanted nuisance. you'll also catch a lot fewer fish if the plastic isn't rigged up straight. spend the extra second before wetting your line and make sure that the plastic is straight on the hook

if you get stuck at the shop just ask the assistants. that's what they're there for

good luck and have fun!

btw . . . all the little bits and pieces of sp fishing would fill a book. the best one is 'on soft plastics' by starlo and bushy. if you're really keen on getting into sp's then you could do a lot worse than starting out by reading that. it is an excellent introduction to sp's and how to fish them

hi guys i go bait fishing often but have recently decided to get into lures, especially soft plastics for jewies, kingies,bream flatties etc so many to choose from which ones are best

hi mate if your thinking of getting around in the early evening in your inflatable jigging the bottom of drop offs around deeper holes, this might not a bad idea >

> a short jig rod with a big snapper sinker running above a swivel attached to a 2mtr heavy leader and a large tsnumai squid profile lure with a pre sized cork to free float the tsunami and let it flutter around and jigging as your boat raises in the chop.

i used to do similiar as a kid and morgo it's amazing how many various ways you can rig up to foil them. you could even anchor and let the boat motion of your inflatable all the jigging work for you and you could have a couple of rods in the holders too.

hope this gives you some food for thought and some food to fry in big fry pans.

jewgaffer- still resting up back muscles, enjoying the site, watching tv, and riding the calm hawkesbury with humesy after major back fractures and an op :1fishing1: better fish are my physios now

You could try the shallows with a couple of different Hard Bodies.

The Ecogear SX-40 are absolute bream killers but even small metal slices will coax a flattie or bream into tha boat. I've been using a 1 1/2gm Halco in gold lately that has been reasonably productive. Give either of them a go over the top of weed beds or in and around structure like wharves and the like.

You can also give a popper a go over some shallow weed beds or up on the flats. River2Sea make some nice ones at a reasonable price.

Dave

I've just recently started using the SX-40 .... what a champion lure!

I had bream and flatties going for it last Sunday!

Then there was this little thing that looked like a small rock cod ... no word of a lie, it would have been half an inch longer than the lure itself.

I think the trick is to get the motion right with them. I'm still kinda learning myself ...good luck!

flicking plastics for flathead will be the most productive for you..... bream spinning and jews and kings are tougher propositions with more attention to detail needed...

i recommend using braided line in 6- 10 lbs so you can tell when your lure is not swimming right...

the thing that worked for me was not baitfishing for a whole summer... not even poddy mullet. and this forced me to put in the hours with the plastics..

smaller is better

curly tailed grubs produce the best action across a wide range of retrieves so they are the first lure i give my plastic virgin mates.....

i use shads with paddle tails mainly, sometimes with the belly cut out so they have the same profile as a flickbait...

these things work.....

fishing dirty water helps too

gl man

Grab one of the various combo packs with some plastics,jigs and a dvd. I got the squidgie one a few years ago now as a xmas gift(i think berkley have them also). They are a good starting point as you get a mix of plastics/jigs and the dvd showed how to rig them correctly and some fishing techniques.

good luck

Stephen

Hi, I not a complete SP expert but Ican tell for sure that the flatties where I fish (Central Coast) love the Berkly 5" Jerk Shads, LIME TIGER , NUCLEAR CHICKEN and PEPPER NEON are just a few they love to engulf, we use a 3/0 jig head. Hope this helps Regards Ray R..