Four Stroke Engines

Nolongeramember

Ive heard four strokes and they are WAY quieter than a two stroke above the water level. Im interested on how they sound under the water. Are they quieter than a 2 stroke out the exhast pipe? How much? Ive just never heard one when out of the water..

They are way quieter than a standard two stroke above and below the water. Out of the water my ride on lawnmower is louder than my outboard.

I've heard a FICHT motor out of the water, and it wasn't too loud either.

They are way quieter than a standard two stroke above and below the water. Out of the water my ride on lawnmower is louder than my outboard.

I've heard a FICHT motor out of the water, and it wasn't too loud either.

What about injected two stokes in general. Are they quieter than a regular two stroke out the exhaust?

I have a 4 stroke and its quiet and smoke free when I flush it :biggrin2: I just love the fact I can start it late at night and no one can hear it and the neigbours never complain :yahoo:

Cheers Stewy

Guest MRS WATTO

We have a 4 stroke and its quiet and smoke free. We have had no hassles. Start motor anytime and our neighbours wouldnt hear it

Hi Roylo, both 4-Stroke and DI 2-Stroke are smooth and quiet in/or out of the water. Both these technologies are alot quieter than the older carby designs and also offer you much better economy than any carby engine without the smoke that the carbies can put out when first started. If any Raider has an older carby engine, and I am sure there will be a few, what you can do to reduce smoke is run a full synthetic oil like XD-100. It will cost you a bit more, but it is the best oil to run in any 2-Stroke especially big HP like 115HP and up. It is what I run in my 225HP DI Evinrude.

Cheers,

Huey.

Newer 2 and 4 strokes are quiet out of the water at idle as the new engine management allows only enough petrol in to tick them over evenly when not under any load.

They both have tuned exhausts with above water exhaust ports (for when in the water) for idling excessive backpressure to allow decent exhaust gasflow.

Neither 2 or 4 stroke have mufflers and they use the water from cooling injected into exhaust manifold and the through hub exhaust as their muffler when above idle. The noise is dissapated into the water and wash of the props and some rises behind the boat where you can't hear it.

Not suggesting you do this but even the new motors above idle will put out a large crackle if out of the water like any motor would without a muffler. Listen to the race boats. Nice for racing but not day to day. Not the same crackle as a old loop charge where some was unburnt fuel in the exhaust with overlapping ports but......

Many have debated whether the sound of the new 2 or 4 strokes attracts fish or excites them if on the troll and I have no idea but some scientist will one day discover if a tone is particularly good for fishing and we will all buy the adaptor to tune our motor so it plays Mozart at low revs , Nana at midrange and AC/DC at the top end for the fish and I still won't catch my target species. No doubt the Japanese are already selling these as attachments to sounders and ones for the greenhouse as well. We'll be tip toeing around the decks in silence in out antishadow cloaks looking like a bunch of trout fishermen.

Maybe a underwater shoo- roo so we don't run over whales and sunfish on our way out wide as they hear us coming. I think I have one already as the fish seem to know I'm coming and avoid my hooks. Couldn't have anything to do with my fishing skills. Now just to patent it!!

Oh well guess that's fishin.

Pel

Hi Roylo, both 4-Stroke and DI 2-Stroke are smooth and quiet in/or out of the water. Both these technologies are alot quieter than the older carby designs and also offer you much better economy than any carby engine without the smoke that the carbies can put out when first started. If any Raider has an older carby engine, and I am sure there will be a few, what you can do to reduce smoke is run a full synthetic oil like XD-100. It will cost you a bit more, but it is the best oil to run in any 2-Stroke especially big HP like 115HP and up. It is what I run in my 225HP DI Evinrude.

Cheers,

Huey.

One last question hehe. You say that old carby designs are much louder. What about carby four stokes compared to injected four strokes? Any difference in noise output?

I basically want to know what is the quietest engine out the exhaust for trolling duties.

Thanks guys.

One last question hehe. You say that old carby designs are much louder. What about carby four stokes compared to injected four strokes? Any difference in noise output?

I basically want to know what is the quietest engine out the exhaust for trolling duties.

Thanks guys.

4stroke for sure is quieter for trolling,

but i think more importantly its smoother at slow speeds. my new yamaha 40hp 3cy 2 stroke is really rough at low speeds

that being said 2 strokes are heaps cheaper so i deal with it

Just would like to know........ wether it just be me or not

but when i fish in other mates boat's and i am not picking on the

E-Tec here ..........just useing it as an example.... the distinct two strokey

smell is still evident particularly when trolling downwind as opposed to my 4/strokes

as any one else thought the same ?

Cheers Warnie

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi huey

Who make the XD-100 oil?

Ross

As i thought about what i just said....i deserve some one to come back

and say ...Doh! it is a 2 stroke.......so .let me re phrase it

After them few trips i was talking about i had no grumbles about the motor

at all particulary performance i guess for some reason i was expecting that

clean smell as i get from my 4/strokes........but it was not evident.. the skipper

of that boat was either used to the smell or couldnt smell it because he kept

reminding me of the fact and the same when i went in another mates boat

so like the smell of diesel which again is more evident to some...... more

than others i guess i was a little bit disapointed in that fact and that was why

i asked the question i didnt want to mention E-TEC and yourself and others read it

and say oh know not the e-tec debate again.... no not that be the case just an observation

from a day on the water perspective.........ever had 4/ strokes on the boat ross as comparision

just out of curosity.

Cheers Warnie

No worries Warnie , the new generation of DI 2 strokes ( and Im sure Sammy will confirm this ) have virtually identical exhaust composition as the 4 strokes , ie there is no raw fuel/ oil emission , therefore no smell. In the Etecs case , it is the only 2 stroke to pass the very tough Californian emission standards for 2 stroke outboards.

The exhaust from my engine smells pretty much the same as my car exhaust , not at all like the typical "sweet" smell of older 2 strokes.

Ross

Thanks guys.

Hi I'm not sure the quietest motor for trolling is the best for fishing unless you are talking about your personal comfort level on the boat. It seems to have more to do with the frequency of noise in regards to attracting fish trolling than the volume we can hear so I'll leave that to some scientist. Have been out on Deisels in old trawlers and you can hardly hear yourself think and yet they fish well with a bunch of louts on board and stereo going. Not sure what % factor it is and it is a endless debate but what you troll and where you troll it is a bigger % factor than engine noise.

Pel

XD100 oil is a full synthetic 2 stroke oil manufactured by Evinrude. It costs about $65 for 5 litres.

Ross

I Think you will find thats 3.7lts Ross, but should be 5 lts i reckon

yep 1 us gallon per bottle = 3785.41 ml which at $65 / bottle means $17 per liter Liquid gold

OUCH I feel a pain in my back pocket

At 80 to one ratio that is $1.20 per liter petrol plus 21.25 cents oil = $1.42.

This price has gone up considerably in the last few years more here in Aussie than in Canada

I need to start farmin some of them synthetics as there must be a profit in there and I wonder if BRP would pay extra if my synthetics were free range organic ones. Now if someone would just sell me a pair or synthetics I'll get started on a breedin program.

So expensive it worries me that some users will end up using lesser oils without reprogramming them and Evinrude will end up with a bad reputation again. Please not again.

Edited by pelican

Good Morning Guys, yes the XD-100 is expensive oil, but you get what you pay for. I have done a deal with BRP and soon I will be offering refills of XD-100 oil for $50, so not that much more than any other TCW-3 premium oil. I will be letting Raiders know when the drum comes in. As for the smell, I can honestly say that I have not seen or had any of our customers complain of this, but one thing to keep in mind is that when compared to a 4-Stroke, the smell might not be there with a 4-Stroke, but they do pump out alot of carbon monoxide and that can be very bad for your health, as I am sure most Raiders know what the outcome would be if a human is exposed to too much carbon monoxide. From 2009 year model sterndrives are going to have to use cat converters to reduce carbon monoxide and sealed fuel system to reduce air pollution and I see it only a matter of time B4 4-Stroke outboards will have to meet the same restrictions. The E-TEC range already has low carbon monoxide output and meets the toughest EU regulations and have a sealed fuel system. They are the only outboard to have ever won the EPA clean air award, so the debate about which technology is the cleanest is pretty useless because the EPA award and 3 star EPA and EU rating speak for themselves.

Cheers,

Huey.

The Etc is pretty quiet out of the water , no smoke or fumes , if you are 20M away from the motor , you can barely hear it .

Ross

Maybe the bigger Etec's are quieter out of the water, but . . . . my 40 is still pretty noisey when flushing. I certainly wouldnt attempt to flush it late a night and not annoy a neighbour. Theres a Skeeter with 200HO Etec near my work, about 50m away, and I can hear it when they flush the motor, its not as noisy as my mates 15yr old, 140 Yammy 2 stroke, but . . . not whisper quiet.

As for the smell, well the Etec 40 certainly doesnt have the traditional 2 stroke pong, but its not "completely" free of the 2 stroke smell. I can smell it slightly if trolling downwind for a while, but definately no smoke and definately not the sickly 2 stroke pong of much older motors. Having said that, I can smell someone smoking a ciggy 200m away if the wind is going my way.

Huey

it must feel like youre banging your head against a wall at times

but pel as touched on a subject close to heart for a lot of fishos

We are a weird lot but amongst the circle of freinds that i fish with... there

first thoughts when purchasing new motors ie fuel consumption, maintenance.etc

gets pushed way down the ladder of thinking as opposed to how there going to go

with raising marlin in comparison to the previous year and i kid you not if for whatever

reason its not happening...........

Then fingers will be pointed in that direction a mere suggestion that the motors are

scaring the fish away .......well that would be sounding a death bell as i said

we are a weird mob and in that group...... that thought lies upermost sending them to you

to fix em if they stop going is an annoying interruption to there fishing time..............

i would imagine that to be a total differant logical way to your way of thinking

but putting these well known fishing identities up on show catching these fish is

one way of aligning these fears no these are not knocking any particular brand of motor

but if you want to make a squillion as allready been suggested patent some thing to attract them fish more than your

competitor and even if the motor has nothing to do with it you would be well on your way

Weird and fanatical we game fishoes can be and it does'nt just stop at motors either...lol....

just a hopefull insight into our one track minds at time Huey

CheersWarnie

This thread started off as a query about 4 strokes quietness and has now gone back to the Etec motor pros and cons.

Get it back on track or this thread will be removed :1badmood:

This is becoming very tiresome.

Swordfisherman

This thread started off as a query about 4 strokes quietness and has now gone back to the Etec motor pros and cons.

Get it back on track or this thread will be removed :1badmood:

This is becoming very tiresome.

Swordfisherman

Thanks Stewy. Some boating/engine threads that show some merit and good info are nearly always swayed the wrong way by some people. Happens everywhere nowadays. :wacko:

Thanks guys.

G'day Roylo, not sure which is the quietest engine for trolling duties.

For trolling duties I have never had a problem due to noise.

I've been trolling up trout for around 20 years and all my previous tinnies have had old noisy two strokes and they haven't scared the fish away.

I've noted fish on my sounder in two metres of water and still captured them as my lures tracked across them at around 20 metres behind my motor.

I think the real issue for me nowadays is just to have a quiet motor to make things more peaceful when I'm trolling. So much better to be able to listen the radio/stereo and have a decent conversation when there is less motor noise.

Let's not forget though, it really doesn't matter what motor you have on when you are travelling at WOT. The wind, the motor and the water smacking the boat is just as noisy as an old two stroke.

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky