Lightning On The Sand

Bigfoot

Gday Raiders,

This report is a long time coming and being my first i hope it pleases.

Having fished ( Mostly Landbased ) all around the Eastern Suburbs ( beaches and rock ledges ),Sydney Harbour, Botany Bay, even the Sth and Nth coasts of NSW for the last 25 odd years you would think a bloke would learn a lesson or two, BLAH !!!.

Yesterday afternoon i decided to put the word out to my fellow Fisher Mates and tell them of my plans to hit the Beach for a session as the swell was non-existant (Less Tea Baggers - Surfers) and weather was very pleasant. Well,

As i got there first (without hearing back from the boys) i took a decent amount of bait ( Mullet and Yellowtail i had snap frozen after a Baiting sortie several weeks ago), so if the bite came on we wouldn't go wanting.

Bait thawing, it was time to start a burley trail, (Still no word from the boys), Made up a concoction and slowly fed it into the waves between both my rods as the tide was static and about to fill, Baited my lighter rig (8lb) with a fillet of yellowtail and cast out into a gutter only about 20m from shore. Rigged up my heavier rig and tried some Mullet.

Checking the mobile to find still no response, i call again, message banks, so, i waited ..... changed baits.......and waited .....applied more burley.....and waited, saw the clouds rolling in, RING RING, Finally i thought, only to find my sister on the line telling me of a severe weather warning,

That's when it happened, My Alvey started clicking, Then the rod buckles and i'm on, i race to the rod and remove it from the holder, i feel the weight and it's a fair fish, looking to my other rod i see it also bouncing around, WOO HOO, DOUBLE HOOKUP!!!!, I thought until i saw both lines moving towards each other, @#%$ !!! STOP, it was too late, i was definatly tangled seeing how the other rod responded to my pumping, but, i was still on, to both fish. CRACK! The sky lit up and the heavens started flashing at me, Lightning was everywhere and i'm standing on a beach, holding a 5m rod straight up in the air with the butt close to my groin and another, 15m further away in a holder.

Lowering my now Lightning Rod parallel to the sand, I locked up and wound to finally see some color, 2 salmon, in close, loading the rod excessively in an effort to get them both up on the next surge, i got the first up above the receading wave and held it firm whilst the the other was pulled back toward the wash, Feeling the tension on the line and knowing something was about to give, i ran to the first Sambo and grabbed him before the next wave came along and cut my lighter line allowing the second fish to escape.

So, here i was, just getting dark, Fish are in close and biting, light show still going and right above me, AND A FISH IN MY HAND.

Inspecting the fish (now sitting) to allow my adrenaline levels to fall away slightly and to reduce my profile to the clouds, i found the hook was deep and the fish bleeding heavily, so i decided to keep it as i wouldn't have made it anyway, and my parents will eat anything, i would give it to them. lol.

Cutting the line and opening my tackle box to re-rig only to find i have forgoten to put all my pre rigged leaders into the box in my haste to get onto the sand and wet a line.

That was the last straw, Grabbing my gear and cleaning my catch was all that was left to do and i was on my way home. After getting home and jumping in the shower my mobile starts ringing, the fellas had decided to go to the footy and watch the Chooks play Melbourne.

The Chooks had an impressive win and the boys had fun, and at the end of the day so did I.

Cheers

Bigfoot

Edited by Bigfoot

arn't there a lot of people in the USA searching for u ?

ps- luv the name, any story behind it ?

penguin

Thanks for the kind words Penguin

Yeah that's why i'm here in Aus. sick of people misunderstanding me.

As for the story, i'm 6 foot 6 with a size 16 hoof

always been bigfoot to my Mates.

Cheers

did u measure the fish? do u mind me asking what beach u caught it off?

G'day Novicefisherman,

Fish was 65cm and 2.8kg uncleaned

Was fishing on my favourite Beach.

Just Kidding :074: Maroubra

Just before the light show

post-2390-1185592767_thumb.jpg

Nice post Bigfoot :thumbup: well written so you

can just picture it all happening in front of you

Isn't it always the way, you have 2 rods out and

it's either neither or both that go off :074::074:

Good Sambo to keep the family happy

Chris

Thankyou all for your kind words and encouragement.

I look forward to posting my next adventure.

i went to maroubra beach on thursday night for a little session, didnt

get any takers had squid and worms for bait. maybe i was fishing in the

wrong spot. or bait.

fishing opposite the kiosk.

which part of the beach were u at?

I have found it important to :

a) The beach changes daily, find appropriate terain, ie:

holes and/or gutters, a rocky outcrop in the middle of a heap of featureless sand, basically somewhere fish have a reason to be.

B) Be versitile, if your having no luck, pick up and move, try longer or shorter casts - a lot of fish will come to your toes and to be honest with you we have all tried to cast to New Zealand, but it will not guarantee better catches or better fish.

c) Learn: Take in as much info as you can from as many sources as possible, research.

d) Ask your fellow fishraiders, I have found they are always keen to give help and support to anyone who is in need, or trouble.

e) BURLEY is your friend- bring the fish to you

I was further south, BUT, i also saw an older guy with a GOOD size Flattie opposite the kiosk.

Good luck, might see you there next time.

Cheers

Bigfoot