Anyone Fished Port Macquarie In October?

The Poacher

Hi,

I have been kindly offered a free week in Port Macquarie in October. I have a 5.3m centre console. Is the offshore scene accessable to a boat like this?? Or would it be better to take a few charters instead- I have heard good things about Ocean Star. I have got a single mark to start with if I went on my own. Would probably buy one of those GPS mark books to get me started. Should be some good bottom fishing at that time of year.

We would be in a unit so I have to find somewhere to store the boat too. Usually, I would stay in a tourist park where they have a bit of room.

Anyway, if any raiders have done it, and have some advice. I would love to hear from you.

The Poacher.

Hi,

I have been kindly offered a free week in Port Macquarie in October. I have a 5.3m centre console. Is the offshore scene accessable to a boat like this?? Or would it be better to take a few charters instead- I have heard good things about Ocean Star. I have got a single mark to start with if I went on my own. Would probably buy one of those GPS mark books to get me started. Should be some good bottom fishing at that time of year.

We would be in a unit so I have to find somewhere to store the boat too. Usually, I would stay in a tourist park where they have a bit of room.

Anyway, if any raiders have done it, and have some advice. I would love to hear from you.

The Poacher.

hi the poacher, i know a good place where big jew are caught along the rock wall up from the tourist park camping grounds not far from the fishing co op and the wharfs

my younger son paul got busted twice on 50lb mono attempting to pull jews away from trouble on over tight drag in rough water conditions. saw one and the other gave him some of the same . both my sons use 80lb braid nowadays

so if it's too rough to go outside it might be wise to launch a good bait out off the wall round the top of the tide or you could hold the centre console in that part under anchor anyway.

you might be able to park the boat somewhere like a fishing club members house etc as you find the natives friendly up there

also the pylons on the hastings over telegraph pt side go very well for almost anything of good size in your boat at night

cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

You should have no trouble heading outside in a 5.4 meter if you are sensible as the bar crossing has brought quite a few boaters undone, I have taken my 4.35 hornet trophy out a couple of times but not far as I don’t fancy how quick the weather can change and being in an open tinnie, so pick your days and you should be right. Just stick to the northern side of the wall and head to the north a bit as you come out of the break wall, as there is a big reef infront of the entrance. I own a GPS book but it only has 10 points if you would like I could scan the points and flick to you if you'd like to save yourself a few bucks. Regards to the break wall fishing its better to head to the northern wall as it’s less crowded and you don't have everybody stopping, watching and annoying you every 5sec but the ferry ride across will cost you $2.60 each way.

The ocean star is suppose to be pretty good but since they became the only charter operator in port the prices went from $80 to $120 for a 6hr reef session and are very selective when they'll head out. I have been up here 12 months now and been booked in 4 times with them and they cancelled all four time on the morning of the trip yet an hour later drinking a coffee you’ll see smaller boats heading out for a days fishing.

You shouldn't count out the hasting river either

Don't forget you have both South West Rocks and Camden haven both only 45min away from port SWR will probably be on the start of firing in October

If you want to know anything else just flick us an pm

Cheers

Dave