Buff Point

LEELEE

Well I took my girlfriend up to Buff point on Friday to teach her how to fish for bream. Now the spot that we went to is a nice little secret spot that produces mostly small to medium bream but they always seem to be there in massive numbers.

Now the reason I chose this spot was to get back to basic's as I haven't been fishing for sometime now and my girlfriend has not fished in over 4 years. So off in the 4wd we went on Saturday morning to get some bait and a hat for the girlfriend from the local tackle shop. After parting with $10.50 for a packet of Hawkesbury Prawns we left, forgetting to buy a hat derrrrrrrrr, so I went without my hat so as her face and neck would not get burned.

So off we went to the secret spot to wet a line. The excitement was high as I was in the need to land some fish. So before we started I confirmed that she knew how to fish and could cast but to my surprise she knew how to cast very well. So we began to fish and before you know it my girlfriend has landed a small bream. Now she hates baiting up due to the fact she hates seafood and the hooks have previously pulled out of her baits in the past, so her confidence level of baiting up is well down. She said she will try it next time, so I had to bait her up in between teaching her the finer points of bait fishing and in between trying to fish myself. Well now this was the start of a trend for her as it was bait up, loose bait, bait up, catch fish, bait up, catch fish, loose bait, bait up, and catch fish. Now she actually caught a reasonable sized bream around the 25cm mark and was very happy with herself.

As the day progressed she was actually listening to what I was saying about twitching baits (getting her ready for sp’s), how to hold the rod (it was windy, very windy) down close to the water to stop wind blowing slack into the line and how not to just reel fish in by just reeling them onto the rod, but to lift up and use the rod to tire out the fish. She actually caught well over 30 bream and a little whiting for the day. She is actually quite a good angler and I think with some more tuition she will be a very very very competent angler.

Now I caught a fair amount of fish as well including a bream of just over 30cms, which was almost unstoppable as I had plopped the bait some 20 metres from shore and was only using 4 lb line with 6 lb leader on my 1-3kg 7 foot Sik Stik Pro. He managed to wrap me around another line but I landed him safely and after some untangling of lines, he was with his captor. However the hook was well down his throat, but after some surgery it was removed as the hook was near his gills and he started bleeding badly. At this time I returned the bream to the water to swim again but he went belly up. So off came the socks and shoes and in I went to rescue him. After spending 3 mins or so trying to revive him (the bleeding had stopped), he swum off again to fight another day. I was very excited to see the bream swim back into the blue. With all the baiting up and tutoring I spent less time, much les time, in the water than my girlfriend. All in all it was a great day and we both got a little burned.

I had a great day and the best moment for me was not "the fish of the dayâ€, rather it was look on my girlfriends face when she was catching fish and the anticipation she had every time I baited her up ( which I was thanked for every time for doing so ). It was a memorable day and the start of many fishing expeditions to come between us.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by leelee

Have to admit Lee was a bit concerned about how much fishing you were going to do as at the start of your post you said something like "taking my girlfriend to BUFF POINT!" :1yikes::1yikes:

But your excellent report put paid to my dirty mind :biggrin2:

As I said a great report and does your girl have a sister with the same qualities :1prop::1prop::1prop:

Boppa :beersmile::beersmile: