Lookout For New Boat

greg123

Hi all im new to this forum.

Im 16 and new to boating and on the lookout for a new boat to replace my 2000 3.8m savage tinnie with 15hp 4 stroke.

Would prefer a bit more speed and maybe forward controls but on a budget similar to my current boat (around 4-5 grand), does anyone have any advise on what to look out for when buying an older boat and motor? (most likely in the 90's for both)

Thanks

Hi Greg , and :1welcomeani: to Fishaider !!

What type of boat are you looking for , and what do you intend using it for, ie estuary fishing , just outside the heads , or chasing the biggies a little further out? Will you be doing any trolling , or just getting out to where the fish are ? Fresh or salt water?

Are you looking at another aluminium boat , or GRP ( Fibreglass) or Poly?

Finally , what type of motor are you thinking of buying?2 or 4 stroke. Both have their Pros and Cons . ( Hint , use the Search function at the top of the page for detailed discussions on 2 strokes vs 4 strokes).

As a rule of thumb , if the boat looks clean and tidy , it has probably been well looked after. But be aware , there can be traps for new players , sometimes every thing that glitters is not gold ! :)

Check the hull for dings , scrapes and holes . If looking at a GRP boat , check the transom for rot . Remove the motor cover and have a look at the engine . Things to check for are oil or water leaks , corroded connections , frayed wiring , rust etc. Also have a close look at the prop. Make sure it is spinning true on the shaft.

Good luck with your search!!

Ross

Hi and thanks,

Porbably trolling around the heads, taking it a bit further out for the biggies would be great but im not sure if i can get a trustworthy oceangoing boat for around 4-5 grand.

I would prefer aluminium as they seem to be more hardy and can take the odd scrape.

However some of the older fibreglass are cheaper but im not sure on all the pros and cons on the two materials (maybe you could advise please).

The car we use to tow isnt too powerfull so i was wondering if the GRP hulls are much heavier than the alumium?

Seeing as the motor would not be new im thinking about going 4 stroke but if need be a newer reliable oil injected 2 would be ok.

Generally just a reliable forward controled boat that is well set up for fishing and can handle the rougher water and swell with a bit more power than my current 15hp tinnie.

Thanks for all your help

Cheers

Good Morning Greg, not being rude, but I think you are going to have to save a bit more money. All that $4-$5K will get you is something small or early to mid 1980's if you want something around 16-17 foot.. You mention your are wanting a 4-Stroke and a boat capable of going in open water and I do not see you will be able to get such a boat for under $5000, with 4-Strokes of anything around 60HP and up only being around for about 10 years and they alone are worth about $4K for just the outboard.

Check out the Seafarer Venus I listed in boat of the week, it would be about the best boat you could get for your budget and it has a good running 85HP on the back. It is a boat that will safety do what you want to do and when the money is saved you can always upgrade the engine to something later model.

Just my thoughts,

Huey.

Those Nautiglass are getting a little old now. Perhaps late 70's to early 80's hull. They were classed as good boat at the time. That one "looks" well kept from the photos. The motor may be a little smokey (i had something of a similar model/vintage myself) but typically a good motor but nothing hi-tech. Some people dont like the reliability of the oil injection system. Personal opinion really, but a number of people disconnect it and you mix the oil/fuel in your tank when filling up.

The size would be fine to fish around the heads in normal weather conditions, provided the hull is sound.

Have a search on here. There will be a number of posts re what to look out for when buying second hand. If your unsure, spend a $150-400 and get a professional to look over the boat, motor, trailer and give a report. It could save you thousands if there is something wrong that you dont pick up yourself.

Good luck with your search. Dont rush, the more you look the more you learn.

cheers

Rod