Sydney Harbour 30/07/08

fishyfingers

When a mate of mine called to say they were going out last night I was there!

The 3 of us got to Rose Bay ramp about 7pm and headed to The Wedding Cakes only to find a barge there with NO GO markers around it.

Off to Sow'n'Pigs only to fnd the drift was taking us straight into the middle of the channel and I don't fancy being that close to the ferries when they come screaming past.

Made our way to North Head and drifted south.

We had 5 rods in the water for about and hour for nothing but pinkies. I was baiting up my hook when my overhead started bouncing around and peeling off line. I had a 10/0 hook with a nice chunk of mullet out on it so I thought "This aint no pinkie!"

It wasn't anything extremely exciting but it had some weight behind it and every now and then I'd get a head shake and another small run.

It went to take me under the boat so I tightened the drag up (I had 50lb braid on so was a bit confident) and dragged him back up again.

Saw some colour and thought you little rippa! But then it turned to disappointment when I finally saw what it was.

Wobygongs and Jackson, eyebrows and whiskers ... I knew one belonged to the other but couldn't remember which was which so called in to verify it (thanks Sean) ... Jackson! He went about 8kgs and was over a meter long. Took a couple of happy snaps and off he went.

Fished over at Shark Island for over a dozen pinkies and a whiting that went about 30cms. He went straight down as bait. About 10 minutes later he was bouncing around in a mad frenzie but no takers.

Packed up and headed home around 11pm.

:05: but as I always say a SH*T day on the water beats a good day in the office!

post-4174-1185852518_thumb.jpg

Hi Martin,

Way to go mate.

At least you boated a fish that gave a reasonable account of itself. Nice size PJ.

Better than our last outing when all we got was seaweed. I fished the beach last week for a few hours for not a touch. I have given up for now until water is warmer. Decided to obsess about skiing instead of fishing.

I will PM ya mate.

Cheers