Sat/sun Fishing Narrabeen Lakes

arpie

Hi guys

Well! What can I say!!!?? Brilliant weekend - always a bonus to catch up with my brother, Sails/Cam & his wife Christine & daughter, Claire. But the bees knees this weekend was meeting up with Peter (Luderick59.)

If you would like to learn all there is about blackfishing (both rock & lake,) especially in & around the Mona Vale Rock platform, give Peter a yahoo/pm & he'll be more than happy to fish with you! He knows the area backwards.

He is also full of top tips for tackle, tactics & finessing your gear to get into good fish. A real gentleman!

I will be trying out his personal 'light-weight system' on the rock gutters up here & also the still water here on the breakwall! No sinkers used here!

Peter, Cam & I tried the Lake again on Saturday morning & braved the freezing winds to fish the gutter. We caught about 5 fish between us (a bit disappointing compared to the 9 we got the night before!) However, we missed & dropped quite a few, as well! My God! Was it cold!! It was freezing!!! It was so funny, putting the small ones back - they just ducked between your feet (heading for structurel, I guess!) & you almost had to kick them out of the way! We tried again Sat pm & our captures got less still!!! However, both Cam & Peter caught a really big one each!! Cam was really chuffed! (but I didn't get a photo of his ..... ooooops!)

Peter's nice blackie!!

post-2231-1185877148_thumb.jpg

Peter also has this great pole setup that hold his net, rod, keeper bag & bucket with bits! (sorry it is a bit blurred .... bloody camera!

post-2231-1185877349_thumb.jpg

We also got together at Mona Vale on Sunday morning (Peter & I) to hopefully give the rocks a go - but the opposite had happened from the Fri ..... from dead still & clear to the sand below, it was now washy & up over your knees in strong waves! I am a bit of a chicken in those conditions (and alive to prove it) & Peter was in the same mind! We stood & watched some locals (all known to Peter) braving it ..... for nothing!! We decided breakfast was the better option!!

At this point of time, i would like to point out that, every time I visited the Lake to fish for blackies, on my first cast, i caught (or at least, Hooked .... didn't always land ....) a blackie! This really amazed me!

Even on late Sunday afternoon, when Cam & I went down for a last gasp (before I headed home the next morning) Cam waded out & I stayed on the shore & had to shoot out a long cast to reach the gutter! I was onto a nice fish before he even reached his fishing spot! Funnily enough, a big pelican confronted me, demanding a reward for me catching a fish & wouldn't go away! Matter of fact, he was soooo close, the tip of his beak was about 5cm away, I immediately chopped the head off the fish to toss to him, just to get rid of him!! Spookey! It was the only one I caught - very difficult to see the float after that!

On the way to the lake, Cam decided to buy a pair of waders, so I was standing beside the road waiting for him out, when a young man (with a huge bag full of bread) crossed the road to his car. I figured he was either taking it home to feed the pig or was going to have some great burley!! I was watching him & he was watching me & then he said ..... the fatal words ...... "Are You A Fishraider??"

I said, "Yes, I am Roberta" He said "I thought you were - I really enjoy reading your reports!!! I am Mushtaka (I won last months FOM with the Yellowfin!!") My brother & is family also attend his church! So, small world, eh???

Fantastic weekend, also met up with Lindsay/Divey - look forward to meeting up with you again, Lindsay!

Cheers for now

Roberta

Also lots of stringy weed on the flat rock platforms around the headlands down there!! Seek & ye shall find!!!

Just make sure it is in an area you are allowed to harvest it!!