Syd Harbour 4/12

alexit

Hi all, thought it was bout time I put in some of my own reports as I'm always readin everyone elses... :biggrin2:

Launched from tunks park bout 6am and set out with the gf convinced it was the day for my fist king. I have been on this quest for the last month so set right into the routine....

Get out past the spit and start lookin for Mr Squid..... nothing. Was it the overnight rain, low tide? I just don't know, but they were not up to play with me.

Got fed up, so headed over to quarantine to get some yakkas. After many many sweep, the yakkas started turning up and we quickly had half a dozen in livewell (well, it's more like a big plastic bucket :risata: )

Pinded one though the nose and put him out one side and put out a bibbed minnow out the other and started a slooow troll along north head.

Only 5 min till the baitrunner started letting out line.... :biggrin2: Now I would love to tell you about the large angry king that reefed me quick smart... but :thumbdown: I got careless and hooked the rig up on a deep ledge. A quick re-rig and another yakka goes down, and I change the minnow (to slow to get him going) to a homemade white 'sluggo'. Not much happened for a while and I was just enjoying the day and trying to avoid the MANY other boat out there. Then the yakka gets real nervy and then all quiet. I pull him in to find one very dead fish with a big hole in the back of his head :thumbdown: and I'm thinking I wonder if???? Put his very much alive mate down and as soon as he gets to the bottom, there is a big weight on. I strike and pull up.... yep, the biggest cuttlefish I have seen. He even gave Rach a shower as she went in with the net...very funny. Now I really admire these creatures after many encounters diving, so after freeing the hook and a bit of look/see/feeeel and some pics, we let him swim free with his yakka lunch.

Wind came up soon after, so we called it a day bout 11am.

btw As far as the squid go, do the arrow and calamari have different areas they like to hang. I seen to always get the calamari round the kelp areas though guys I have talked to at the ramp have loads of the smaller arrows. Where do these guys like to be?

Thought I recognised your boat out there! :thumbup:

I had about as much luck as you as far as the squid goes on Saturday. I used some frozen squid and trolled it. It got scoffed bt the largest eel I have seen for a while! :thumbdown: This guy was about 3 foot long and took the entire squid.

Did a couple more passes arounf the marker with a sluggo and a minnow for no hits. I drifted for a while over the drop of there, for one BIG HIT...and nothing else. :1tongue: