Garie Royal National Park

warnie

Hi all

Caught up with an old mate today and recounted old yarns

and stories of our rock and beach fishing day's in particular......... Garie

Am interested to know do any of you fish this area.......... of interest the northern

rock ledge of the beach and the one up further that we used to refer to as the .......deck...

it used to fish extremely well for salmon,tailor,bream.kingfish etc

and we also obtained our fair share of good snapper................

back in those days there was no boom gate so we could come and go 24/7

and also stay late at night in summer etc.................

Not with standing the safety aspect for care had to be shown with this area........but it was as good as it got

and was wondering if that is still so....... or as it suffered to the ravages of time.........

Wondering......Warnie

It still fishes well, but very popular though. Salmon are the main catch, and if anything their numbers are increasing. I usually just have a throw of the beach these days, rather than put up with the crowding and dodging waves. Still catch plenty off the beach!

Matew i used to fish that ledge often......i remeber many a cold morning walking up the beach to the big flat ledge there.....

Great spot for Kings, Salmon and Bonito...i do recall seeing a massive king...probably 20kg+ being caugfht there when i was about 15...

Frank,

It's a bit off the mark from Jibbon. It's very easy to get to..if you're around bundeena, head onto Bundeena Drive, and then get onto Sir Bertram Stevens Drive. From there turn left on Garie Rd. It shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes from bundeena.

If you do fish from the ledge, make sure you know when the high tide is and what the swell is. I've been there plenty of times, and it perplexes me to see so many fisho's fishing so carelessly off that platform without the correct gear. Nevertheless, I've seen alot more fish caught off the ledge than the beach. Some of the Salmon caught off those rocks i've seen 80cm+.

But then again, the ledge can only fit a few people, so if its packed out, spare urself the headache, sit back on the sand and ull still get some action.

Goodluck mate.

anytime frank,

jst another thing, parking's very convenient, the new carpark is right on the beach. If you do fish on the sand and want to target the salmon with a beach rod, id suggest havin a small spin rod handy too. I've caught a heap of decent bream and dart in the gutters literally 10-15 metres into the water. great fun on light gear.

Hi all

Caught up with an old mate today and recounted old yarns

and stories of our rock and beach fishing day's in particular......... Garie

Am interested to know do any of you fish this area.......... of interest the northern

rock ledge of the beach and the one up further that we used to refer to as the .......deck...

it used to fish extremely well for salmon,tailor,bream.kingfish etc

and we also obtained our fair share of good snapper................

back in those days there was no boom gate so we could come and go 24/7

and also stay late at night in summer etc.................

Not with standing the safety aspect for care had to be shown with this area........but it was as good as it got

and was wondering if that is still so....... or as it suffered to the ravages of time.........

Wondering......Warnie

been there a few times in the last couple of weeks, still plenty of salmons, the left hand side of the rocky platform you can catch decent sized black fish. somehow, I have not seen anyone pulling out bonito or tailor these days, instead, there were groups and groups of ppl catching leather jackets over there on weekends. last time I went, there were at least 10 ppl there fishing for leather jackets and at least 100 leather jackets were caught.

good luck.

Vin