Tackle Help

muscle_17

Hi,

im going to go out and hire a boat at botany bay sometime this week with a few mates.

Now we have never gone out on boats, by ourselves.

We only have fished land based, using plastics/bait.

We are thinking about going near Molounix Point to try and catch some Kingfish or salmon, or infact anything big :1clap:

Now, the heaviest line i got, it 10lb fireline, and am considering using a paternoster rig.

Just need to know What are the best hook sizes to take out with us, as now ive only got size 2 or size 2/0 (cant rember which, but they are good size for average bream etc)?

Also what is the best rig you guys think i should use, and Bait?

Any info on hunting for salmon and kings, other then checking for surface action?

Thanks All, sorry for the many questions. but if i succedd, ill try and post a good report for you all :thumbup:

NUMBER ONE!!!! Watch out for the shipping channels. Ships will expect you to get out of their way!

I would probably not worry too much about bait if you want to target Kings. Try some slices or Sluggos around the bigger marker bouys. If using slices, vary the depth you start your retrieve as they can be holding down deep.

There is an area near the oil wharf which has 5 HUGE drums that use to berth the tankers to. The oil wharf is on the southern side of the bay. If there is no tankers there, then you can target under these drums as they are a prime fish holding spot.

If you want to do it with bait, catch some squid and rig it it on a 6/0 hook. Dunno how you would go with 10LB fireline though :risata:

Take a bucket of chook pellets with you and some tins of catfood.  Mix it with water till its nice and mushy.  Anchor out from the rocks at Molounix and get a berley trail going.  Half a cup of pellets every few minutes.  That may bring all sorts of things into the trail - if you get yakkas - hook them up & chuck them back out.  Fish your other baits as floaters in the trail.

22385[/snapback]

Jocool, firstly i just serviced my avenger reel bymyself, and works 10 x better now. thanks !!! :thumbup:

The boat hire place is at la Parouse, and molinux point is just in front of the hire boat shed. so i think ill just stick around molinux point all day long and wonder a bit to the left and right.

I bought some 4/0 Mustang hooks today....and the ultrabite burley cage, they look like springs with sinkers on them.....anyone seen these before?

basically u stick ur burley in the cage, and drop it down as a paternoster rig. im gona try that.....

So thanks Jocool and pedro for the tips. hopefulyl my 10 lb fireline with a 4-6 kg class rod will hold anything big that comes my way :1Lighten: