Been To Blueys, Boomerang & Elizabeth Beaches & 7 Mile!

arpie

Hi guys

Couldn't believe it! The ocean off Burgess Beach is millpond smooth & we get to Blueys & it is very washy on an incoming big high tide! The hole that was supposed to have lots of long, strong cabbage, had none!!! IT was GORN! Managed to scrape some from the rocks & toss it in but neither of us could come up with a fish. Another guy there got 2, as we watched! :1badmood: The water should have held drummer & blackies.

The wind came up something shocking & was bitterly cold. It became really uncomfortable to fish - at least I had my hobnailed rock shoes on - Darryl had his Japanese Safety Boots on (THONGS! :1yikes: ) Can you believe it? This guy wears thongs onto the rocks, with lots of wash - and has never had a fall ...... YET!

We headed home via every beach/headland I knew, to see if we could find some of the elusive cabbage. Even tried Janeys corner (7 Mile Beach), but the sea was so high & rough it was crashing over the path that takes you out to the rocks! Not a good sign! Every beach here took such a battering with the weather of the long weekend & after, it'll be a while before the cabbage comes back in strength!

FInally got back to Forster & went to Tuncurry & found a wee bit of nice weed in a drain (about 1 session's worth) so let Darryl take it, as I hope to get more later in the week when in Sydney! Had a 10 minute toss in at one spot for blackies, but my heart wasn't in it, & I was hungry!! So called it a day.

Get back home & the water off Burgess is still Millpond smooth!!!

Ne'er mind. I got the little reel working again, tho time will tell (once again) for how long?? May have to araldite the little bit onto the head of the shaft!

Hope your day was better!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hey Roberta, We went fishing today as well out to a reef off Palm Beach and we got blown away as well. Just an aside knowing you are a blackfishing expert, when I was into blackfishing I used 2 hooks under my float at about 10 and 8 feet, one with cabbage the other with stringy stuff I learnt this from an old guy around the rocks at Avoca, this worked well for me and sometimes it was the cabbage at 10 feet they liked and then the next day it was the stringy stuff up a little higher. Anyway hope the washy stuff comes around for ya.. Cheers Ray R....

Hi Ray - thanks for the info - I do run 2 hooks already,but not 2ft apart! I often have weed on one & cabbage on the other - sometimes even a mix of the two on one as well! Amazing how they can get the weed off & leave the cabbage or visa versa, without being caught!! Sneaky!! :1badmood:

I have recently had about 4 different lots of stringy stuff & have regularly changed from one to the other - sometimes the dark stuff goes first, other times, the light stuff!

Thanks for the compliment, but I wouldn't quite call myself an expert - I just love blackie fishing & find it the most efficient way of getting a feed! You know where they are pretty well every day! Just gotta tempt them into biting!

Hi Ross - I, too, am amazed at his choice of footwear - yet he fishes for (and regularly catches ...) jews off the wall as well as climbing round the cliffs to get weed and/or cabbage up & down the coast! Rarely wears a jacket - always in shorts & tee shirt. Even in cold weather! He is a top fisho & has given me soooo much info on where to catch blackies up here (learnt a couple of new spots yesterday ...), so a while back, I taught him how to worm!! We trade weed whenever we have it & go on these foraging trips every now & then, just to find where it is growing again!! He is fun to fish with. He gaffed one of the 2 jews that I ever caught on the wall (on the worms we caught) & was with me when I hooked the 2 monsters that headed towards NZ before busting me off! I would just yell out 'Daaaaarryllllll!!!' and he would come running along the rocks .... in the thongs! I think he actually brings me luck, too - I often catch when I am with him!! His enthusiasm is infectious! However, I won't be out fishing with him at 2 & 3am!!! :wacko: Mind over mattress, every time!

Cheerio

Roberta