Rod And Reel - Kings And Jews

Slaka

Hi all,

A mate and I normally fish SP's light (5 or 6 lbs) but we are looking at getting a combo to target bigger species such as kingies and jews. We are (well I am anyway!) umming and arring about getting a 4-6kg rod with a 3000 reel or 5-8 kg rod with a 4000 reel. Does anyone have any thoughts?

my tackle outlet are selling a Shimano Rack Raider 5-8kg rod with a Symetre 4000 for $299, what is this combo like for plastics fishing?

Edited by johnno

Hi all,

A mate and I normally fish SP's light (5 or 6 lbs) but we are looking at getting a combo to target bigger species such as kingies and jews. We are (well I am anyway!) umming and arring about getting a 4-6kg rod with a 3000 reel or 5-8 kg rod with a 4000 reel. Does anyone have any thoughts?

my tackle outlet are selling a Shimano Rack Raider 5-8kg rod with a Symetre 4000 for $299, what is this combo like for plastics fishing?

ive been using a shimano backbone elite 7ft graphite rod rated 2-5kg with an okuma reel of about a 4000 size with braid for flicking plastics and small metals. this setup has landed numerous kingies to the 68cm mark, i havent had the pleasure of getting a bigger one in sydney to date but it handles the rats to a tee.

The snapper raider(5-8kg) and symetre 4000 is a very solid combo and will handle good size kings...I have mine spooled with 15lb tuffline. Great value for money. Can't go wrong.

Edited by kbark

Thanks for that guys. Most of the kingies we will be chasing will be in the ahrbour or Botany Bay, not outside, is this set up a bit of over kill or will a 4-6kg with a 3000 be too small?

And thanks for your advice novice.

I too would agree that the Snapper Raider / Symetre 4000 is pretty good combo and is perfect, weight-wise, for Harbour kings. You should be able to get it for much less than $299, though.

My own personal preference for fishing SPs is to use a rod with a short butt, as I find a long butt tends to get in the way when working plastics. So I got a T-Curve Power Spin 5-10kg matched with a Twin Power 4000. However, as it is a shorter rod (6'7") you may lose some casting distance. When I need to cast long distances, I use a Daiwa Saltiga M-Over 80s (8 ft, 10kg). However, I find the butt far too long and uncomfortable to use, so turn to the T-Curve more frequently.

There is a 7' 4-8kg Starlo Stix that may give you the best of both worlds. Designed for working bigger plastics, it has a shortish butt but is still long enough to put out a good cast.

I too would agree that the Snapper Raider / Symetre 4000 is pretty good combo and is perfect, weight-wise, for Harbour kings. You should be able to get it for much less than $299, though.

My own personal preference for fishing SPs is to use a rod with a short butt, as I find a long butt tends to get in the way when working plastics. So I got a T-Curve Power Spin 5-10kg matched with a Twin Power 4000. However, as it is a shorter rod (6'7") you may lose some casting distance. When I need to cast long distances, I use a Daiwa Saltiga M-Over 80s (8 ft, 10kg). However, I find the butt far too long and uncomfortable to use, so turn to the T-Curve more frequently.

There is a 7' 4-8kg Starlo Stix that may give you the best of both worlds. Designed for working bigger plastics, it has a shortish butt but is still long enough to put out a good cast.

Thanks for that, what are the Starlo Stix like? Is the fact that they don't have Fuji guides a problem? Also would you mate it to a 3000 or 4000 reel?

Thanks for that, what are the Starlo Stix like? Is the fact that they don't have Fuji guides a problem? Also would you mate it to a 3000 or 4000 reel?

Never used it, mate, but I do have the previous generation Steve Starling Barra Spin (4-8kg, 6'6"). I think the Starlo Stix is very similar, just 6 inches longer in the tip which should help with casting. It's been a great little rod - used it as a Slug-go rod on Harbour kings. Never had any issues. Upgraded to the T-Curve as I wanted something a bit heavier to take jack fishing up north.

Should be fine with either size reel. With the Barra Spin, I tended to use Shimano 4000s, which are generally smaller and weigh less than the Daiwa 4000 reels (TwinPower 330g, Biomaster 310g). Then again, I have a Daiwa Tierra 4000 (370g) with my Snapper Raider (which never gets a run, as I prefer a short butt).

cheers,

dave

Thanks for everyones advice. After doing some extra research today I think I have settled on a Daiwa 7ft Coastal Tournament (10-17lbs) with an Excelor E 3000 reel.

Now I just need to find time to use it!

I have the same rod with an Exceler Plus 3000. great combo!

Now for the plug:

I also have a Wattos special Viva Graphite stick in about the same weight rating, 7 footer 2 piece, with a reel that they have just got recently, a Pioneer Perfect Cast 3000. I had never heard of it either, nor can i find any reference to it ANYWHERE on the net!

Initially i was VERY sceptical that this combo was anywhere near as good as my diawa setup. The reel and rod however have exceeded ALL my expectations. It casts AT LEAST as well, if not better, is almost as smooth to use, and the WHOLE reel, rotor, body, sideplate EVERYTHING is metal, no crappy plastic like my Diawa. The only downside? Teflon drag washers. So i put my spare set of Diawa washers in it, and it was JUST as good in the drag department as the Diawa. I am currently playing with my own design carbon washers that seem better than the diawa and just as smooth.

The reel lays braid PERFECTLY with NO WIND KNOTS even though the line is about 0.5-1mm below the spool lip

The whole combo was half the cost of the Diawa, and I am seriously considering selling the Diawa gear! I have bought one each of the Perfect Cast reels in each size! They have 9bb's, ALL metal construction, forged alloy handle, etc. As i said, they do need better drag washers if you are after kings etc, but apart from that, they are SEXY and BULLETPROOF! I have pics of the guts of the reel if anyone is wants to know. I know it seems like a shameless plug but the gear is really THAT GOOD!

I have the same rod with an Exceler Plus 3000. great combo!

Now for the plug:

I also have a Wattos special Viva Graphite stick in about the same weight rating, 7 footer 2 piece, with a reel that they have just got recently, a Pioneer Perfect Cast 3000. I had never heard of it either, nor can i find any reference to it ANYWHERE on the net!

Initially i was VERY sceptical that this combo was anywhere near as good as my diawa setup. The reel and rod however have exceeded ALL my expectations. It casts AT LEAST as well, if not better, is almost as smooth to use, and the WHOLE reel, rotor, body, sideplate EVERYTHING is metal, no crappy plastic like my Diawa. The only downside? Teflon drag washers. So i put my spare set of Diawa washers in it, and it was JUST as good in the drag department as the Diawa. I am currently playing with my own design carbon washers that seem better than the diawa and just as smooth.

The reel lays braid PERFECTLY with NO WIND KNOTS even though the line is about 0.5-1mm below the spool lip

The whole combo was half the cost of the Diawa, and I am seriously considering selling the Diawa gear! I have bought one each of the Perfect Cast reels in each size! They have 9bb's, ALL metal construction, forged alloy handle, etc. As i said, they do need better drag washers if you are after kings etc, but apart from that, they are SEXY and BULLETPROOF! I have pics of the guts of the reel if anyone is wants to know. I know it seems like a shameless plug but the gear is really THAT GOOD!

ill second this opinion guys have seen and used the finished product and it kills it.

True to my usual form I changed my mind at the last minute. Today I bought a 7ft Team Daiwa Advantage 8-17lb rod with a Daiwa Excelor 4000E reel.

Can't wait to get into the harbour kingies, I have never done it before.

Thabks everyone for your advice.

Hi all,

the light stuff is good, but u get a half decnt King he'll bust your ass and you'll be wishing u had a ten kilo outfit.

• 2 weeks later...

Raider Snapper is the goods, I cut the butt down to make it more comfortable for working plastics. (see my avatar). However, I agree that this rig is a touch light for kings though. The rod doesn't have enough power to turn bigger kings. I have hooked several fish that have absolutely smoked me using this gear when trying for sambos and bonnies etc

For a light outfit, I would be going with something like a Millerods BayBuster, or one of the lighter japanese casting/jigging sticks rated for PE3. The Daiwa saltiga coastal range are perfect.

Also, I would look into a drag upgrade on whatever reel you choose - to a Jack Erskine Carbontex system, this will enable you to fish PE3 through a 4000 size reel effectively.

Best of luck with the purchase