Advantages Of A Roller Tip?

gness

I've been looking around at rods for my new overhead which I'm planning to spool with 30lb braid to target those summer kings (mostly live/dead baiting). The t-curve tyrnos 10-15kg is looking like a good option atm but I'm just not sure about the advantages/disadvantages of the roller tip.

I would not use a roller tip for braid as if the braid jumps between the roller and the roller shield it will break or damage the line.using mono on a roller is better as it has a bigger diameter.

the t-curves used to come non roller tip

then in 06 they put the roller tip on them from memory

I have a 10-15kg non roller that i have just got which is for summer

search around you may find the older non roller ones

Edited by johnno

Thanks for replies guys! Ok so I guess I'll just go for a rod with a normal tip cos I'm pretty keen on using braid for this outfit.

Any ideas on another rod that has similar specs to the tcurve tyrnos 10-15kg?

Thanks for replies guys! Ok so I guess I'll just go for a rod with a normal tip cos I'm pretty keen on using braid for this outfit.

Yep I can give sound advice there. jakjayno1 the catcher of the 21.8 gt trevally recently, uses U.S. ugly stik tiger as does Jay's mentor and teacher, Jimmy Bowers of Ballina, who is also a master rod builder. I have 10 of them myself but definately not for sale though. They are 7 foot 10-50lb and extra fast action, fabulous to feel, terrific 50lb backbone with 10lb sensitivity when required .

Ugly stik (yellow) tiger rods are not available in Australia which is part of the Asia Pacific market and they have different model numbers.

American Ugly stik tiger rods cost about $80 U.S.with about $130 U.S. airfreight to your door by Fedex or U.P.S. because of the one piece length. I brought out extra ones for Jimmy and Jay a couple of years ago but I have connections near the plant in Columbia, South Carolina.

Hope this gives you another option.

Regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

I personally have never had a problem with a roller tip and braid.

The line over the tip doesn't jump around at all for me, even when slack. Though I wouldn't use a fully rollered rod with braid as when thumbing the line it can become dicie going through the first double roller eye.

I'd prefer the roller tip, it spreads the pressure over a larger area and looks 10 times better.

IFS

If you do any amount of live baiting under balloons then you need to keep an eye on where the line is in relation to the direction the roller tip is pointed. With a normal round guide, this is not an issue. If you are diligent then I guess the roller tip has its advantages.

I really cannot see it being an issue for any size kingies though.

Hey mate. I reckon a Nitro Godzilla would be perfect. Thats what I use and there really good quality rods. Id say better than the T-curves for sure. Its probably about a 10-12kg rod. They come in roller or non roller aswell.

What reel have you got?

I've been looking around at rods for my new overhead which I'm planning to spool with 30lb braid to target those summer kings (mostly live/dead baiting). The t-curve tyrnos 10-15kg is looking like a good option atm but I'm just not sure about the advantages/disadvantages of the roller tip.

I have a 15kg Tyrnos Shimano stick with the roller. I have never gone back to the normal roller 15kg rod I had. all worth the money you spend with the Tyrnos. I repeat, I havent lost a King yet. The roller tip des reduce some drag of the line through the rollers i think.

Hope it helps the decision.

Squidboy