Browns Sinker Mk2

aussie big bob

Hi there fellow raiders

It is now time for the result of my concrete sinkers. On my last trip to browns I did seven drops ranging from 450 to 700 metres.

The result is as follow.

The concrete sinker worked fine. It still took average of 10 mins to get to the bottom.

I was on a drift of approx 2.5kms and found the sinker to be fine but believe that the drift would have made me release an extra 50mt of line. I believe that this was caused by the flat surface on the top of the sinker and not the total size

Once on the bottom I also found that the sinker was keeping close to the bottom and properly would have held ok if the drift was not so fast. But still not 100% sure. When I say that it was keeping close to the bottom I mean that approx every ten or so mins I needed to let out approx 10 to 15 metres of line to bring back the slack.

On the day I lost 3 sinkers with a cost of 95 cents each. :thumbup:

So now with all this in mind I have taken the big bananas advise and have come up with browns mk2.

I know that there are many variations, but here is mine based on the most used sinker, which is the trusty old sash weight.

So here are the pictures of browns mk2. These are half the length of a sash weight and are heavier than the sash weight in the photo. The sash weight in the photo weigh 2.8kg my new mk2 weigh 3.1kg. I am also now trying out some 1 to 1.5kg models to be used at places like the peek and wide fad

The cost of the mk2 sinker is about the same as a sash weight but the volume is a lot smaller.

If any one is interested in these sinkers please do not hesitate to PM me

Cheers

Bob

post-2934-1186824595_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1186824610_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1186824622_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussie big bob

Hey Bob,

Thought I would give you our way of making sinkers....

We get a 30mm steel pipe, cut it in to 25cm long sections, then fill each with hot lead which is melted- the same way you would make conventional sinkers... the only difference is, this time you are pouring the lead in to the steel cylinder....

To make the tip pointy, we place the cylinder over a log which has a point cut out of it, so when the lead dries, it is pointy....

we have been getting to the bottom in about 5mins tops.

Cleaned up last week. Got 6 Genfish, one Hapuka around 20kg and a Deep Sea Perch.

thanks keepin tabs

any photo's of the ones you make

cheers

bob

Thanks ant

but i would not have thought that 2kg would have been heavy enough but i am going to try it next time.

i am now working on mk3 after reading your post. i am totaly happy with mk2 but the time factor to make them with all the cuts and hammering to make the point is just to long.

so have taken your idea and am making a point that will fit over the tube that i am useing. this will save me a lot of time.

cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob

Thanks ant

but i would not have thought that 2kg would have been heavy enough but i am going to try it next time.

i am now working on mk3 after reading your post. i am totaly happy with mk2 but the time factor to make them with all the cuts and hammering to make the point is just to long.

so have taken your idea and am making a point that will fit over the tube that i am useing. this will save me a lot of time.

cheers

bob

for cheap lead try Tyre shops normally they just throw the old wheel weights away

Thanks ant

cheers

bob

You can get away with 1.5kg weights and I'm sure even less when there is very little current running.

But when there is current bring out the heavy weights.

IFS

• 3 weeks later...

but in your trips to browns how often would you use weights less than 2kg's and what sort of loss rate do you have

cheers

bob

Hi bob

I personaly would rarely ever go over 1.5kg in weight for brown's even when current is pushing hard

1kg is closer to the mark for me and down to a snapper lead when no current is present

the lighter you are the less inclined you will be to lose tackle

i could arrange and pm pics that would most likely surprise you then by the sounds of

things which may involve you to have a rethink and maybe adopt a differant approuch

if that will help you...

Warnie......

Hi bob

I personaly would rarely ever go over 1.5kg in weight for brown's even when current is pushing hard

1kg is closer to the mark for me and down to a snapper lead when no current is present

the lighter you are the less inclined you will be to lose tackle

i could arrange and pm pics that would most likely surprise you then by the sounds of

things which may involve you to have a rethink and maybe adopt a differant approuch

if that will help you...

Warnie......

That would be good. Like to see the pics

cheers

bob

Hi bob sorry i am endevouring to sort a posting pic problem out when iv'e worked

through it i will get back to you

Cheers Warnie

post-2305-1189080616_thumb.jpg

Hi bob........

as you can see that would be about maybe half the size against the other which is a clone

of the one that you have it weighs close to 3lbs

and would be the heaviest i would resort to....

the normal size for me generally is a further 1lb

lighter still that's not to say the heavier sinker wont do the job for as you know it does

just that i personally have better results going lighter.......

try it bob......and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised..

Cheers Warnie.

thanks johnno

Thanks IFS

but in your trips to browns how often would you use weights less than 2kg's and what sort of loss rate do you have

cheers

bob

Usually I use weights at around 2.0kg to 2.3kg up to a moderate current flow.

When it's running quite fast I opt for a 3.0 to 3.5kg weight so I know the baits are on the bottom

It just depends, I would have a rough guess at 1 weight to 3 drops or so.

IFS

Edited by IFishSick

Usually I use weights at around 2.0kg to 2.3kg up to a moderate current flow.

When it's running quite fast I opt for a 3.0 to 3.5kg weight so I know the baits are on the bottom

It just depends, I would have a rough guess at 1 weight to 3 drops or so.

IFS

thank's for that ifs

cheers

bob

Hi bob........

as you can see that would be about maybe half the size against the other which is a clone

of the one that you have it weighs close to 3lbs

and would be the heaviest i would resort to....

the normal size for me generally is a further 1lb

lighter still that's not to say the heavier sinker wont do the job for as you know it does

just that i personally have better results going lighter.......

try it bob......and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised..

Cheers Warnie.

thanks johnno

ok thanks for that Warnie

now with all this in mind i will have a post of all my browns sinker on by sunday

cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob