Outboard Service Costs

choad

How much would it cost to service a 60hp yamaha 4s efi? what intervals, etc.

i don't want to say what i'm considering as an alternative in fear of another pumped up ford v holden style debate that goes round and round in circles and goes right off topic (just like this sentence).

also, anyone with experience using one of these motors please post and let us know your opinion pros v cons.

thanks

How much would it cost to service a 60hp yamaha 4s efi? what intervals, etc.

i don't want to say what i'm considering as an alternative in fear of another pumped up ford v holden style debate that goes round and round in circles and goes right off topic (just like this sentence).

also, anyone with experience using one of these motors please post and let us know your opinion pros v cons.

thanks

A friend of mine has a 60 4s & the service book advises every 50 hours. In respect to cost , it depends on where you take it but I understand a basic service can run from the high $200's to the mid $300's

Perhaps ring around , most dealers should be able to give you an indication over the phone

Geoff

Good Morning Choad, as Geoff said the first service is at 10 Hours and then every 50 Hours or what we tell our guys with 4-Strokes once a year. The yearly or 50 hours(whichever is first) service for a 4-Stroke including the water pump is about $350-$400 and the first service should not cost you more than $150. Also check with any Yamaha dealer and see when the valve clearances need to be checked, because with the brands of 4-Stroke we service and sell it is at 300 Hours and the timing belt should also be checked and replaced if necessary.

When you are comapring price also add a SST prop to the price-sorry I could not help myself. :biggrin2:

I have run all brands of 60HP 4-Stroke and the only one I like for performance is the Suzuki or Johnson when available, but it is a very heavy engine and does not suit many boats rated for 60HP. I am sure you will like the Yamaha, because they are OK engines, I just believe there is a better engine available but do yourself a favour and water test any engine before you pay your hard earned cash.

Best of luck with whatever engine you get, they all allow you to enjoy the waterways.

Cheers,

Huey.

Good Morning Choad, as Geoff said the first service is at 10 Hours and then every 50 Hours or what we tell our guys with 4-Strokes once a year. The yearly or 50 hours(whichever is first) service for a 4-Stroke including the water pump is about $350-$400 and the first service should not cost you more than $150. Also check with any Yamaha dealer and see when the valve clearances need to be checked, because with the brands of 4-Stroke we service and sell it is at 300 Hours and the timing belt should also be checked and replaced if necessary.

When you are comapring price also add a SST prop to the price-sorry I could not help myself. :biggrin2:

I have run all brands of 60HP 4-Stroke and the only one I like for performance is the Suzuki or Johnson when available, but it is a very heavy engine and does not suit many boats rated for 60HP. I am sure you will like the Yamaha, because they are OK engines, I just believe there is a better engine available but do yourself a favour and water test any engine before you pay your hard earned cash.

Best of luck with whatever engine you get, they all allow you to enjoy the waterways.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey

Question for you?

Do the outboard engine manufacturers put out a service guide to dealers with "suggested" timesheet hours so clients and dealers can work out a reasonable quotes??.

Is there a list that gets checked at each factory service in the manual?

Having dealt with cars for ages we used to have reccomended hours for different service items so for example to do a timing belt it was 4 hours plus materials etc. Honda had cute little table as it combined service and maintaince / wear items so you knew the approximate hours of labour to charge. Still beats me how they did some jobs so quickly but they must have smaller hands than me and a surgical mechanics assistant to pass the tools. Working on clean new motors always helps with billable hours before they get butchered by servo / mobile mechanics and the like.

Do the outboard engine manufacturers put out a service guide to dealers with "suggested" timesheet hours so clients and dealers can work out a reasonable quotes??.

200 hour service - anode check- 5min annode replacement 20min , timing 20min, valve clearance 40 min etc etc.

Regards

Pel

Good Morning Guys, Billfisher if we were trading an engine like that I would do a compression check, check the quality of the crankcase oil, check gearbox oil and see if it had its first service done at about 10 hours, which is critial to replace the oil and any metal particles that might be in the oil from new. If it is still running with original oil in crankcase I would be wary and I would want to make sure the hours are correct, but unfortunately with older carby engines there is no way to confirm or deny unlike newer EFI engines with ECU onboard that keep an accurate engine log. The other hassle with older carby 4-Strokes is the sycronisation of the carbys-they are a real pain in you know where and you need expensive vacuum gauges to do correctly, so water test the outboard and see how it runs. PM me if you like with the price they want and I will let you know what I think.

Pel, yes there is a recomended service schedule and time chart, but as you mentioned with the cars it is only a guide and engines that have been used in salt water tend to take a bit longer the older they get. The warranty claim hour rate per job is also way out, and it always surprises me how the manufactureres could get a certain job done in the time they list, but not much you can do about it, they pay as per the factory time chart. We charge as the guys clock on and off and almost all the time it takes less for a 100 or 50 hour service than what the manual states you can charge.

Lasty, depending on the age and condition of your outboard a 12 monthly service on your outboard would cost $200-$250 if it goes according to plan. If we find that bolts are siezed or extra parts are required we notify the customers before the work is done.

Cheers,

Huey.