Sydney Yarra Bay/la Perouse Area

dani!o

hi all!!!

first fish report!!! which makes sense, because in all my trips, i havnt caught anythign worth mentioning

went to yarra bay tonight, have to say, apart from the lack of any lighting, the place is very nice... very little wind, no waves, nice quiet beach....

using a 3.6m shimano rod, 20lb line, half pilchards, gamakatsu baitholders, as well as some very crap skills, i caught a nice whiting and a nicer flathead!! woohoo!! finally, i dont need to eat out of the dumpster anymore, can have some fish with protein!!!

anyway, for anyone interested, i reckon this is a pretty nice spot, although the main disadvantage is there is very little light, and its very hard to see anything... i think i mistook my rod for my brother quite a few times tonight, ended up talking to my rod for ages before realising it wasnt answering back...

anyway, anyone wanna come and try it out i will be there tomolo night again, trying to get more fishies to supplement my student style diet of nothing and bits of gravel...

check eeeeeeeeeet

Hi Daniel,

:1welcomeani: to Fish Raider and congrats on getting on to some fish. I read your other post about having trouble getting in to some fish. I also noticed you said you have come from accross the ditch, and i recon kiwi fishin styles dont suit here in ozzie. All my cuzzies that come over fish far to heavy, (big hooks, big sinkers, ect). I think a trip to Fish Finder may get you on the right track. I havent met Tony but he sounds like a freindly helpful bloke, as are any Fish Raiders. And maybe try a bit more day fishin you'll get to see what other fisho's are doin and wont stick your car in the sand :074: . Maybe you could hook up with some fellow land based Raiders for the forth coming social. Look forward to reading your successful reports.

Lata Raida.

Waynie

yarra bay is also a great spot to catch squid, casting jigs around the weed beds in the corner were the

beach and the rocks near the breakwall are.Make sure you have a couple of jigs packed,pink & green are

the best colours,try very early morning & again late in the arvo.

cheers mate;

steve

hi all thanks heaps for the replies everyone!!!

yarra bay is indeed a nice spot, the people at the surf club are heaps nice too... can i ask though, what gear do you guys use to catch them bream and tailor??? im using 20lb on a 3.6m rod, which i find is uncomfortably heavy and i cant cast properly with it... maybe 25m tops?? also using pilchards as bait... any thoughts??

also, nexus, ive bought a couple of green squid rigs now... not sure how to use them though, just chuck them out and reel in slowly??

thanks again all!!! because of the crappy weather i might not be going tonight, have to see... have uni tomorrow, feeling suicidal now.... anyway, will update after my next trip!!

nice catch mate, i use to fish on the wall in yarra bay and caught a mixed bag of bream, snapper, tailor, flathead and the occasional sting ray

hey i was trying to fish off the wall before but i noticed it was really really snagged there was heaps and heaps of weed bed and heaps of rocks, i found it unfishable. How far did u go on the wall?

I was fishing off the rock there and caught some wrasse lol

Yeh Yara bay is good for whiting. Try use sandworms instead of pilchards but on lighter line and longer rod.

hey i was trying to fish off the wall before but i noticed it was really really snagged there was heaps and heaps of weed bed and heaps of rocks, i found it unfishable. How far did u go on the wall?

I was fishing off the rock there and caught some wrasse lol

Yeh Yara bay is good for whiting. Try use sandworms instead of pilchards but on lighter line and longer rod.

hey there!!

ummmm i think the yarra area is pretty much all sand and weed, in terms of the wall i walked all the way to the end... at the start of the wall is just rocks piled together, which is pretty hard to walk on but as you go further out it becomes concrete triangle shaped things, which is quite easy to walk on... i think the snags mostly happen when you reel back in and it gets stuck in some bits of the rock jetty close to your feet, so i guess the key is to hold your rod vertical as you reel in, so your rig comes close to the surface and when it gets close to you try and give it a flick to make it jump out of the water... i didnt find too many snags... at the end of the rock jetty i cast towards the sailing club beach and my brother cast towrads the other beach, and he got his sand whiting there...

wrasse eh?? last time i went to the merc caught one they ooze tremendous amounts of slime eh??

anyway all good... any thoughts on how the rain affects fishing?? i wanna go so bad though i might just don a coat and fish in the rain...