To Fly Or Not To Fly

bobfish

Hey Raiders,

Ive got an itch to try my hand at salt water fly fishing and just wonder if there are any raiders well versed in the art??

If so, can catch rates be as high as is seen with softies and hardbodies used with spinning?

Ive done a little reading and it seems to be described as "challenging" quite often....

Cheers,

Bobfish

i bought a salt/fresh water fly rod last year after the encouragement of yes dear. i have used it once but am keen as to give it more time and another go. its not as bloody easy as it looks.

give it a go. i have seen bream smash em in the rivers and others on tv :1prop:

ill be waiting for the warmer less windy weather to come along 1st and might even get lessons as im likely to injure myself or my rod with the way i went the 1st time :blink:

The catch rate is very similar to plastics but it you need to think about what you want to target and how you will fish it. My son fishes with me using plastic and I use fly and there is usually not much difference in the number of fish we get with the exception of bass. He usually out fishes me.

I have three fly rods 6 weight used for bream, bass flathead and whiting.

8 weight when I want to throw big bass surface poppers or salmon and trevs.

10 weight for Kings.

However I also have about 3 reels, or extra spools, for each of these rods all with different lines.

This is were your choice of fishing style comes in.

Cheers

Kingpig

Hey Raiders,

Ive got an itch to try my hand at salt water fly fishing and just wonder if there are any raiders well versed in the art??

If so, can catch rates be as high as is seen with softies and hardbodies used with spinning?

Ive done a little reading and it seems to be described as "challenging" quite often....

Cheers,

Bobfish

Would be great in saltwater Bob but you've really gotta find hot spots and times where they're rising and boiling Bob .

I'ts a big pain in the arm otherwise an you can feel frustrated fishing quiet waters at dig out times.

The idea of it is to have more sporty fun with nothing much heavier than a butterfly between you, your rod and the fish.

To follow the birds on a magic day would bring it out to the max and you could have plenty of fun wit a 5W when the chopper are chasing the shrimp.

I've got plenty of that stuff but I'm still addicted to jew in between.

With kind thoughts of Ballina and good luck in your holiday home up there.

When are you going up, Bob?

With kind regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Bobfish,

I have been flyfishing both for trout and saltwater fish for a while now and also using SP's and HB's and here is a few observations.

1. Remember the fly rod was designed to present (almost) weightless tiny insect imitations to trout and salmon, thus when you try to use it to cast weighted flys such as clousers it makes the whole act of casting much more difficult. When starting out keep flies small and weight little.

2. I have caught many bream and flatties on fly but my catch rate with SP's and HB's far outways my best ever fly session.

3. Bass are much easier to temp on the fly especially using surface flys.

4. Pelagics such as salmon, tailor and kings are a viable fly rod targets mostly because they often feed near the surface and are much more aggressive than say Bream.

5. If you really want to give Flyfishing a go i would suggest try troutfishing in rivers first, this IMO is the most enjoyable and rewarding fishing available.

Good Luck, but remember as my wife often puts it "he is married to his fly rod" :074:

BM

Thanks for the advice guys!

I have much thinking to do, the itch shall be scratched later im guessing.....

Jewgaffer, Im negotiating holidays at the moment so I can visit Ballina in summer. Work is absolutely hectic now so I have to wait :ranting2: Thats the beauty of a holiday house, its there anytime you need it!

Cheers,

Bobfish

Bobfish,

I have been flyfishing both for trout and saltwater fish for a while now and also using SP's and HB's and here is a few observations.

1. Remember the fly rod was designed to present (almost) weightless tiny insect imitations to trout and salmon, thus when you try to use it to cast weighted flys such as clousers it makes the whole act of casting much more difficult. When starting out keep flies small and weight little.

2. I have caught many bream and flatties on fly but my catch rate with SP's and HB's far outways my best ever fly session.

3. Bass are much easier to temp on the fly especially using surface flys.

4. Pelagics such as salmon, tailor and kings are a viable fly rod targets mostly because they often feed near the surface and are much more aggressive than say Bream.

5. If you really want to give Flyfishing a go i would suggest try troutfishing in rivers first, this IMO is the most enjoyable and rewarding fishing available.

Good Luck, but remember as my wife often puts it "he is married to his fly rod" :074:

BM

Hi Bobfish,

Excellent advice from BM.

Always remember, fly fishing started in freshwater to fish imitations of small insects eaten by trout. As BM points out, that's where it works best and is most enjoyable, particularly when fishing the dry fly.

While the technique has been adapted to the successful catching of all manner of fish in both fresh and saltwater, up to and including billfish, it's still best as a short range, sight-fishing proposition. Fishing "blind" and deep, on the off chance that a fish will swim by and try to eat your fly, is hard work and soon becomes tedious.

Fishing far-off and deep on a purely speculative basis is always best done with bait or lures (HB or softies) IMHO.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Hi dude,

You're right, fly can be quite challenging at first.

The best advice anyone can give to someone first starting out is to shell out for some casting lessons. There are a few guy's out there who are really good at getting you on the right track.

The only other thing I'd advise is to try and steer clear of the e-bay specials... A crappy rod and line will have you walking away in disgust. There is a good kit in http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-artic...-flyfishing.php

As for catch rates, the others speak true. One thing... When fish start feeding on small "eyes", tie on an eye-fly and you'll be pissing your mates off impressing your friends by being the only one with fish on. Unless your mates flyfish too :D

Thanks kenmare and richie,

Fishing "blind" and deep, on the off chance that a fish will swim by and try to eat your fly, is hard work and soon becomes tedious.

Spot on right there mate, exactly what I needed to hear. Im gonna have to work on my patience first :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Bobfish

I have my fly gear rigged, but the rod in halves in one of the side pockets of my boat. a lot of the time you our the guy your fishing with will hook up a fish and several others will follow. That is the time to pull out the wand and start to wave it around. With kings you usually see a coupe in the berley line.

I have had some success with sounding schools of fish or bait and then sinking the line straight down into the school and using the fly rod to jig the fly back. The best way to do this is to use knottable wire between the flay and the tippet to help the sink rate.

Cheers

Kingpig