Home Made Downriggers ?

frangkie

has anybody made downrigger? If so, do you think it is worth doing, or is it better to just buy one.

any tips on construction plus costs would be appreciated!

cheers everybody!

Ive had an idea for a while and Im gonna try it out this summer. I wouldnt mind other peoples opinions on this aswell.

I want to get an old rod and cut it down to about a meter, and put a small pulley on the end. Then get a large old eggbeater on it with 50LB braid and tie the bomb onto this. Then I will just put the rod into one of my rod holders and adjust it horizontally. Should work perfect and wont cost $400 plus. All I have to buy is the bomb.

The bonus with this is you have a drag system should the bomb get caught anywhere. By the way what happens to a normal dowrigger if it was to get caught somewhere? I dont know never used one but I think it would do some considerale damage to the downrigger and boat???

Edited by Roylo

sounds like a decent idea mate. the only problem i can think of is finding the correct depth to set the bomb on your downrigger + setting the downrigger rod horizontal. you might be able to put depth markers on the line if using an overhead reel. the bail arm would cause problems on a spin reel with this technique.

Edited by frangkie

Ive had an idea for a while and Im gonna try it out this summer. I wouldnt mind other peoples opinions on this aswell.

I want to get an old rod and cut it down to about a meter, and put a small pulley on the end. Then get a large old eggbeater on it with 50LB braid and tie the bomb onto this. Then I will just put the rod into one of my rod holders and adjust it horizontally. Should work perfect and wont cost $400 plus. All I have to buy is the bomb.

The bonus with this is you have a drag system should the bomb get caught anywhere. By the way what happens to a normal dowrigger if it was to get caught somewhere? I dont know never used one but I think it would do some considerale damage to the downrigger and boat???

If you bottom out with a down rigger than wave goodbye to the bomb, the idea of downrigging is to troll a bait mid water- if im fishing in 20 meters of water then i usually set the downrigger at 8 meters , kings will come up if they are feeding at a lower depth.

Bite the bullet and buy a downrigger for whats its worth you will spend more time mucking around with the concept than what its worth.

Keep your eye out for second hand downriggers if you cannot justify the purchase of a new one.

Edited by johnno

sounds like a decent idea mate. the only problem i can think of is finding the correct depth to set the bomb on your downrigger + setting the downrigger rod horizontal. you might be able to put depth markers on the line if using an overhead reel. the bail arm would cause problems on a spin reel with this technique.

Use the braid that is coloured every ten meters. Or put your own marks on the line every meter with something. Cant be that hard.

The Berkley rod holders can adjust horizontal. Thats what i have on my boat.

I reckon, just put the reel into reverse and lower the line, same as a downrigger. Should work well. Plus you have a drag should it get caught instead of ripping everything apart...

i have those berkely rod holders ay the moment and am about to take them off because of failure. those rod holders lost me a $400 outfit on a strike. I just did some research and it looks like you can buy a scotty 1050 depthmaster from an american shop for $129 american, not sure on postage costs yet but will post them when i find out.

I have a Scotty and have hit bottom a few times, they do have a drag which has saved me when I was getting a beer or on the phone instead of concentrating :)

As for fishing mid water, that is true but if you are downrigging headlands you can expect the water to go from 15m+ to 5m really quickly so keep an eye on your sounder, Quarantine point is a good example.

Cheers.

Robbie.

the plastic male fitting that the holder swivels on kind of spripped/sheared then the holder popped up a touch causing it to swivel. the rod flicked off in slow motion and then i watched it sink to the bottom swearing my head off. :1badmood:

They have a latch that goes across that would have stopped the rod flicking out. I always use it for that reason.

I also drilled a hole straight through the stem and put a small bolt through to stop the holder from swivling.

These holders arnt the best, but I cant find anything that has the same adjustments that is much stronger so I still use them.

Someone needs to make something in STEEL with the same adjustments as these holders. Then you will have a really good rod holder.

They reckon you should never use the rodholder that comes with any downrigger, especially those that are along the bar that the wire is attached to. THe angle is all wrong & you have a good chance of losing your gear. An inset rod holder would be best, I reckon, rather than a plastic adjustable one? What do you think?

Cheers

Roberta

i have those berkely rod holders ay the moment and am about to take them off because of failure. those rod holders lost me a $400 outfit on a strike. I just did some research and it looks like you can buy a scotty 1050 depthmaster from an american shop for $129 american, not sure on postage costs yet but will post them when i find out.

wow that price sounds good even if you were to add the psotage to it.

the us postage seems to be around $80 us.

that equates to about $250 australian. I don't think i will bother making a dodgy backyard model after all.

the rod mounted on the boat rather than down rigger does seem like the safer option too.