Hawkesbury Report 26/8/07

VA911

Hi all. This is my first report as a fishraider member but prepare for many more. The weather is warming, the boat is running great and i have finished moving houses so i can now get back on the water.

OK i slept in on Sunday morning and ended up launching the boat at 8am. lines in the water at 8:30. Started up the river and worked my way around with the tide. I have fished the river for many years specifically targeting bream and whiting. I have not seen the river so quiet in a long time. There were no boats around at all and worse than that no fish. I fished from all the way west to as east as the road bridge in all the favourite, tried and tested spots.

Finally the fish came on the nibble at about 1pm. Picked up 4 bream and a dusky at the vines (where i usually never catch anything). The tide stopped running and started to change at about 2:30. called it a day.

Not a total loss but very ordinary result. The water looked very brown/green and there was a LOT of drift wood and crap in the water. I think the big river needs some more time after last weeks rain.

hopefully next time i wont fish alone as it gets a bit boring with no fish being caught.

enjoy the pics

cheers

Vince

26-8-07006.jpg

26-8-07005.jpg

26-8-07004.jpg

26-8-07003.jpg

26-8-07002.jpg

26-8-07001.jpg

Edited by VA911

i know what you mean va911,i fished the vines and other spots nearby yesterday with my 2 daughters and didn't do that well. as you say lots of floating logs and crap in the system. :thumbdown: (but it beats doing the lawns.) :biggrin2:

i went as west as the rock wall. very poor fishing up that way. not even the cats were up there. cats were like a plaigue at the power lines, bar point was ful of them, road bridge only held babies. tried a few other spots for nothing as well.

Hi all. This is my first report as a fishraider member but prepare for many more. The weather is warming, the boat is running great and i have finished moving houses so i can now get back on the water.

OK i slept in on Sunday morning and ended up launching the boat at 8am. lines in the water at 8:30. Started up the river and worked my way around with the tide. I have fished the river for many years specifically targeting bream and whiting. I have not seen the river so quiet in a long time. There were no boats around at all and worse than that no fish. I fished from all the way west to as east as the road bridge in all the favourite, tried and tested spots.

Finally the fish came on the nibble at about 1pm. Picked up 4 bream and a dusky at the vines (where i usually never catch anything). The tide stopped running and started to change at about 2:30. called it a day.

Not a total loss but very ordinary result. The water looked very brown/green and there was a LOT of drift wood and crap in the water. I think the big river needs some more time after last weeks rain.

hopefully next time i wont fish alone as it gets a bit boring with no fish being caught.

enjoy the pics

cheers

Vince

26-8-07006.jpg

26-8-07005.jpg

26-8-07004.jpg

26-8-07003.jpg

26-8-07002.jpg

26-8-07001.jpg

Vince. A big welcome for your first Fishraider fishing report :1welcomeani:

I am certain there will be bigger and better results coming in on your behalf with your experience and the classy range of gear you have from Fly to Shelf stuff !!!

A very nice report mate and top photography.

I thought you were still "thawing out" in the snowfields! I am still thawing out just being indoors!

When you get settled in Drummoyne give me a ring Vince and I'll meet you at the boat ramp for Iron Cove or Brooklyn for The Hawkesbury.

Sunday was a wrong one for results in the bad water up there. Still the big one's a pretty health looking bream

Best Regards for now Vince

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Jewgaffer,

cheers for your comments mate. there was actually a few guys from MSB doing a survey on fishing in the river. they reckon i did well compared to everyone else they surveyed at the ramps.

I believe the river is a bit sick at the moment and they MUST get the commercial fishers out of there QUICK!

I can remember fishing those same haunts just on 2 years ago and come back bagging out on bream with fish up to and over 50cm+. Its been a while since i have come back with over 10 fish. same tactics, same baits, are they getting smarter or has the river been fished out?

Jewgaffer,

cheers for your comments mate. there was actually a few guys from MSB doing a survey on fishing in the river. they reckon i did well compared to everyone else they surveyed at the ramps.

I believe the river is a bit sick at the moment and they MUST get the commercial fishers out of there QUICK!

I can remember fishing those same haunts just on 2 years ago and come back bagging out on bream with fish up to and over 50cm+. Its been a while since i have come back with over 10 fish. same tactics, same baits, are they getting smarter or has the river been fished out?

Vince it's been the queerest winter in years but wait till the tides clean up the system and record heat is on its way for sept then give me a ring and we'll choof off back up there.

cheers

Vince it's been the queerest winter in years but wait till the tides clean up the system and record heat is on its way for sept then give me a ring and we'll choof off back up there.

cheers

too easy jewgaffer.

i hope your right. i am now settled in at drummoyne and possibly looking to upgrade the boat. but what to buy? only time will tell

welcome to the site mate, good to see you still managed a feed, i think the hawkey has got to be the fav waterway for me, great scenery and good feed of fish most times you go out.

next time maybe try the racks behind dangar and sound out the drop off, its a good spot for bream and flatties and isnt far from the vines.

What's the story with all the jellyfish in the river.They were everywhere last weekend.Never seen so many in the river before???????

I fishing in accordance. When jelly fish are prolific and a menace to lines, and fish round the corner in alcolves etc to get away from them.

I find when jelly fish are in season and are prolific coming in with the tide and spreading, fishing is going to be pretty good by that indication.

However on days when jelly fish are prolifc going back out with tide, particularly during big tides, has been a good sign that conditions are changing, meaning fish will become scarce.

Hope this helps

Edited by jewgaffer