Seabreeze And Wave Accuracy?

michaelrdoyle@gmail.com

Hi All

Fairly new to Seabreeze - normally I just use BOM.

I was wondering - how accurate is the predictions regarding wind strength and wave size? And is "waves" just swell, or include seas? Is there a difference between Sydney and Illawarra (Point Perpendicular in particular) for accuracy? (obviously they have graphs for both).

Real issue is this weekend - was planning to head down there for a weekend fishing. For Friday, Bom is saying "Wind: W/NW 15/25 knots ahead of S/SE change 20/30 knots in the afternoon". Seabreeze is suggesting 9-21 knots, NNW to SE, and a wave height of about 1m.

Normally with those sorts of winds, I would expect huge seas, and a big nasty swell. I wouldn't even bother going down - but seabreeze is giving me hope....

false hope? How good is it? What are your experiences?

thanks

Mike

Well the day i went out and didn't know of seabreeze - i totally regret it!

I used to read smh, stuff that, seabreeze is pretty good :) I always use it now. I only use it for wind, don't really take notice of waves, although I should :P

Hi mike

False hope....... no definetly not ...

the thing though is to keep up to date

with the updates issued daily as you can find at times both seabreeze & bom forecasts

for the weekend can change dramaticaly with whats forecast on a wednesday

the best guide i suppose with seabreeze is at least the projected prediction

of wind strength and swell

following the weekend showing both to be getting a lot worse

so at this time if that change arrives at the time as suggested then yea do able.......

but as said as it draws nearer......study and take note to both seabreeze & bom

particulary warnings as close as possible before making a decision.........

Cheers Warnie........

Hi Mike,

As Warnie said check before you go out as we all do :)

The wave height on SB is swell not the sea on top of it that is created by wind. A 1m swell can have a 1m sea on top of it as you know making for different conditions.

Ever since BOM screwed the Sydney Hobart prediction and lives were lost they have been complled to err on the side of caution. I usually check both and go for a medium point..

Cheers.

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

Thanks People

Today's BOM pretty much confirms my worst fear (and my expectations based on experience).

Seabreeze is predicting a 1m swell, but not taking into account seas. BOM says the Sea will be 2 - 3m.

In other words - fishing this friday/Saturday down south is a no goer :1badmood:

Very upsetting - been planning this for ages - was going last weekend (and how good was the weather!!!) - but mates pulled out. Next time will be in a month.

But that's the way of the fisherman. That's life.

Mike

I get one of my mates or family who isn't coming with us to have a look mid morning and mid arvo. A quick 2 minute call keeps us happy so we know if we need to head in as the predictions can change quickly. Listening to coast guard radio reports is also a good update but often they conflict with seabreeze. I trust the BOM more but have used it for longer so probably understand it a bit better.

Hey Mike, another website that I use along with seabreeze and BOM thats really good for offshore weather is Buoyweather.com The only thing is that you cant get long range forecasts unless you are a member, however even if you are not you still get the forecast a couple of dats out. Pretty accurate too.

Daniel

Hi Mike,

As Warnie said check before you go out as we all do :)

The wave height on SB is swell not the sea on top of it that is created by wind. A 1m swell can have a 1m sea on top of it as you know making for different conditions.

Ever since BOM screwed the Sydney Hobart prediction and lives were lost they have been complled to err on the side of caution. I usually check both and go for a medium point..

Cheers.

Robbie.

exactly what me and mates do and usually pretty spot on that way.