Raymarine Sounder Problems

Slaka

Hi all,

Just hoping someone can help me with my Raymarine Sounder. It was working fine previously, but the last time I took it out for some reason as it scanned accross the screen the a horizontal line appeared and it just froze. After about 30 min it came good again but it did this a few times throughout the day. Also at this stage the speedo on the screen stopped working. I could hear a high pitched whistling noise coming from what I thought was the wiring, and the screen was a little fogged up, so perhaps it got some water in it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi all,

Just hoping someone can help me with my Raymarine Sounder. It was working fine previously, but the last time I took it out for some reason as it scanned accross the screen the a horizontal line appeared and it just froze. After about 30 min it came good again but it did this a few times throughout the day. Also at this stage the speedo on the screen stopped working. I could hear a high pitched whistling noise coming from what I thought was the wiring, and the screen was a little fogged up, so perhaps it got some water in it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have had this problem before with a Raymarine DS400X - I would have to take the power cable out of the back of the unit and replug it in to clear the line from the screen .I found there was a fair bit of crap and some minor corrosion in the end of the plug so I cleaned it out with a pin and some WD spray and all has been well since .Obviously I am not qualified to work on these units but it worked for me.

G'day Slaka,

I've also got a DSX400, which tends to suffer from a little condensation at times. I've found it's a great little unit but sensitive to dodgey power connections. Probably more my skill as a sparky than anything else. I had a few problems with the unit turning itself off, just had to go back and check all connections and it's worked fine ever since.

Dave

hi slaka,

i had the DSX500 also and had it repaired twice for screen fogging up. :ranting2: . i only used the bloody thing a couple times over about 7 months... on the 3rd failure :ranting2: i asked to change to a different brand and payed the extra for the navman trackfish 6500 as it was on special.. this series of raymarine has a moisture prob from new... i was told they basically pulled back off dried out unit and fitted a gell pack to suck up any moisture and fitted new grommet..... this was supposed to fix it but mine failed 2nd time on 2nd trip after repair and then on first trip out after last repair/or lack of i should say..... other than this issue the unit was real good and picked up structures great.. i never had that line you had but that noise is definitely a power short issue... while cleaning my mates boat we heard that same noise and it turned out to be the plug connector on gunnell for the spotty shorting out.... lucky we got it before it took out any electrics as he has many $$$ on his quinny 600.... hope this helps mate......