Harvey Bay

abiasin

hi guys i was wondering if it is good fishing up at harvey bay landbased? im not sure if i am going to be able to escap the :wife: to get myself on a charter but was keen on taking the flick sticks up in search of possible pelagic action somewhere up there. i will also be hitting the gold coast seaway sand spit wharf thing to see if the kings are around.

any info would be great as i have never been up to harvey bay.

cheers

Adrian.

hi guys i was wondering if it is good fishing up at harvey bay landbased? im not sure if i am going to be able to escap the :wife: to get myself on a charter but was keen on taking the flick sticks up in search of possible pelagic action somewhere up there. i will also be hitting the gold coast seaway sand spit wharf thing to see if the kings are around.

any info would be great as i have never been up to harvey bay.

cheers

Adrian.

Hi Kingies till i die.

She's real good fishing country up there Adrian. I'll pick "my eyes out of the water" for you for all landbased stuff.

Gold Coast spots and some friendly advice:-

In the warm evenings a couple of hours before high tide. Take the wife and family for a night time picnic of nice fish, oysters, calamari and chips you buy at the well stocked open air diner on the way to the spit sand jetty.

To start the picnic :1yikes: Drive past the little parking area that leads to the grassy walk to the little council "weigh in each way and fish" kiosk at the entrance to the half a kilomtetre long sand spit that extends way over the breakers to continental shelf type depths for a beach.

That's a hot spot on a night while the others are asleep. But you need a little more than shark gear and you'll get maneaters for the wife, for the smaller jew at the end of the sand jetty there.

Back to the picnic. There's a lighthouse at the mouth there and nice comfy rocks that go for a few kilometres away from the entrance and your wife can walk along it for nice night flash photography of the water for next years picnic.

There's a red channel marker near casting distance from the shore with the lighthouse just behind your right shoulder, near a little jetty shaped, and slightly overhanging the water rock formation.

Casting close to the red marker is suitable for your huge beach spinning rods on the large whole fresh local calamari you buy and that red light means go faster up there.

Great spot that one for the picnic with an unobvious hidden agenda for big jew on your mind.

Picnic all over Hervey Bay and sneek up to Noosa for the ice creams.

Get the potatos in Bundaberg for other good critters and big the Bass anywhere.

Good luck with it mate that's all I can tell you about the place and in closing , I've got many frieds up there,and particularly around Bundaberg.

And have a top ice cream and potato with heaps of salads holiday

Regards Adrian, my human barometer mate. :thumbup:

From a fishless jewgaffer with nothing better to do or tell you to do !

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

cheers mate, once again some great friendly info and advice. ill be sure to try the sandsit again as last time i was there in january the kings were incredible at around an average size of 1m but not too hungry as i only saw one hooked and then bust off on the pylon. it was incredible the amount of guys trying their luck with tiagra 50's on the jetty and getting smoked, i had no chance on 2-5kg gear lol.

Hope you have better luck than I did!! :( Had four days in Hervey Bay/ Fraser Island, had read all the reports of the fish they catch up there so I packed up the big beach rod and some 30lb braid only to be blown out by a sixty knot wind. Even the charter i had booked cancelled :1badmood: My last day on the way back on the ferry it was like glass, if only I had booked two days later :05:

Good luck, hope to read a report of some monsters when you get back.

Ps The locals will tell you stories of 1 metre plus flatties being caught on the eastern beach at Fraser :1prop:

Alasdair

urangan pier is good, there is also a few other spots around the bay that are good for whiting and a lot less crowded. All along the beaches there are little piers that stick out, just jump on one of them or cast from the shore, and as long as you have the right bait and some luck you should get into some good fish.