Sydney Harbour 31st August, 2007

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

We were out with a charter on Friday to specifically target Luderick and Surgeons in the lower Harbour. Having never caught either species, we felt that using a pro with a great reputation for these species was the most efficient method of learning the art. I am sure Roberta could have taught us however, there wouldn't be room for us in her canoe. :1prop:

The day started well with a gentle breeze as we motored through Middle Harbour and the sun washing light over the pristine waterway was magical. The best thing about a weekday trip is that the water is so quiet and tranquill. We were the only boat out fishing for the majority of the morning.

We headed around the spit and out into the harbour proper and the wind was a little stronger. Up into North Harbour to Spot X and we were out of the wind and fishing by 7.00am.

We nailed to good sized Luderick and missed a few downs before the wind started blowing extremely hard and made it impossible to fish a float. We tried a few more spots for Surgeons but alas, they were elsewhere.

Time was running thin so we hit the flats for a flattie. We caught three barely legals which were returned to fight another day.

All in all, a good day and we learn't a new skill.

No rods were lost.

Edited by Ceph

good feed there Ceph,

Man you get some hours up on the water you lucky bugger!!

cheers

kiwi Dan

Mate, I have a degree in :wife: management. :thumbup:

Trying to get out for two of the three days available this weekend.. :biggrin2:

I have already lodged my application... just waiting for the approval.

Mate, I have a degree in :wife: management. :thumbup:

Trying to get out for two of the three days available this weekend.. :biggrin2:

I have already lodged my application... just waiting for the approval.

you lecture :wife: education at uni or tafe im sure a few would sign up!! :074::074:

No pass required for me this weekend. Ill be heading to Airlie beach on Friday for 4 days for my bucks weekend. 26 of us going up, im hoping to get a line wet at some stage!!

cheers

Dan,

you lecture :wife: education at uni or tafe im sure a few would sign up!! :074::074:

No pass required for me this weekend. Ill be heading to Airlie beach on Friday for 4 days for my bucks weekend. 26 of us going up, im hoping to get a line wet at some stage!!

cheers

Dan,

Dan,

Somehow I think you will be too "busy" to wet a line...

All the best for your weekend Bro!!! :thumbup:

Hi Ceph

What a fantastic couple of blackies!! Nice size, too! It sounds like you enjoyed catching them - they really 'go' don't the?? What tackle were you using? Your own or the charter's? Did they take cabbage or weed?

You'll have to join the throng of Raiders down at Narrabeen Lake (& Georges River & other spots) to feed the newly acquired addiction!!!

best thing is ..... free bait (that doesn't stink) .... great fight ..... even better eating! Don't forget to 'deal with them' asap after capture! If you have a smoker, just fillet them & leave the skin on, rub the flesh with brown sugar & sprinkle with salt. then smoke! Yum!

Isn't it great being out on weekdays? Not too many boats hooning around the place! You can choose your spots & have it to yourself! All too easy!

Welcome to the Blackfish Brigade!!! If you want to get into some beauties, come up here!!! Avg size just now 37-40cm!

Cheerio

Roberta

Soooo glad you didn't lose any rods! That would really hurt :(

Hi Ceph

What a fantastic couple of blackies!! Nice size, too! It sounds like you enjoyed catching them - they really 'go' don't the?? What tackle were you using? Your own or the charter's? Did they take cabbage or weed?

You'll have to join the throng of Raiders down at Narrabeen Lake (& Georges River & other spots) to feed the newly acquired addiction!!!

best thing is ..... free bait (that doesn't stink) .... great fight ..... even better eating! Don't forget to 'deal with them' asap after capture! If you have a smoker, just fillet them & leave the skin on, rub the flesh with brown sugar & sprinkle with salt. then smoke! Yum!

Isn't it great being out on weekdays? Not too many boats hooning around the place! You can choose your spots & have it to yourself! All too easy!

Welcome to the Blackfish Brigade!!! If you want to get into some beauties, come up here!!! Avg size just now 37-40cm!

Cheerio

Roberta

Soooo glad you didn't lose any rods! That would really hurt :(

Roberta,

We were using the guides gear. He has these beautiful 10'6" Shakespeare Agility rods and egg beaters. He uses braid with a flurocarbon leader about a metre long. The bait was cabbage. I don't know where to get the stringy weed. We were in the lower Harbour and the guide said that the cabbage works best down there.

The fight was awesome. :thumbup: They pull hard and it was a challenge to keep them away from the structure.

We were hoping for a Surgeon but they eluded us.. :mad3:

I must say, I am very keen to target Luderick from now on. It was certainly worth while being shown the ropes by a professional. :biggrin2:

Hi Ceph

Both cabbage & stringy weed are fairly easy to get on any of the northern beaches rock platforms just now! (unless the big seas recently has really knocked it around!) More difficult to find May-Aug! To be safe & have better access, go at low tide (pm peter/luderick59 for specifics or Mallacoota Pete! for down there.) Where abouts are you located??

I reckon using braid has made all the difference to me 'picking it up' as quickly as I have. Up here, I don't use a long fluoro trace as you'd be basically throwing it away every 5 mins! I catch plenty of fish & my traces are less than 30cm! All depends on where you are fishing. Fish to the conditions.

There are plenty of blackie addicts in Raiders that would be ony too pleased to fish with you landbased - each method (land or boat) has 'peculiararities' that need to be learnt! Then, it is just trial & error after that, as you work out your own system!

Nothing beats the thrill of landing a big fish! The smaller ones are often 'sweeter' but the biggies are fun!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Roberta, I am in Paddington, Sydney. My brother is in the Northen Beaches. We are plannng to fish Narrabeen soon. We are still researching the spots etc...

Any good blackfisher out there who wants a student will be repaid with a Kingy session in summer!!!! :biggrin2:

couple of nice luds there good to see your on board hope you enjoy.. im still searchin for a sturgeon sounds like landing one on blackie gear is even harder..

Hey mate

I assume you mean Surgeon.. I don't think we get Sturgeons here.. :biggrin2:

I have heard they go as hard as a small king!!! Actually, the guide on the day said they fight harder pound for pound. He recommends 12lb flurocarbon trace and 20lb braid for the job.

They are a mysterious fish.. I hope to land one soon. You will know about it when I do!! :thumbup:

Roberta, I am in Paddington, Sydney. My brother is in the Northen Beaches. We are plannng to fish Narrabeen soon. We are still researching the spots etc...

Any good blackfisher out there who wants a student will be repaid with a Kingy session in summer!!!! :biggrin2:

Harbord rocks just infront of the Harbord Diggers has a good supply of cababge...got to get there at low tide to get it...and I had a look around Dee Why rocks just around the corner of the sea pool and in front of it and there was long stringy weed and cabbage about...heaps of it...

I reckon you'd be able to collect it just about off any of the rock ledges at low tide though...the above 2 are very accessible and a short troll from the car park...

I haven't tried the lake for Blackies but know a couple of comfy wharfs up this way and have got some big ones...just want to pip Cassie for the biggest now... :mad3:

My hands up for a Kingy Session in the summer...especially a mid week session... :thumbup: