New Rock/beachfishing Spinning Outfit

davebrewer

I'm looking for a lighter replacement blank for my ancient Guttsbutt Ugly Stick and have come up with Pacific Composites FSU4120G-that's thePowergraph one(not the glass one which my mates have broken a few of between them) with alconites.I want to be able to cast around 60 grams for tailor,salmon,bonito,tuna etc and am looking at an Epix EFS 60, loaded with 8 kg braid-opinions on braid or mono for this job also welcome. Thanks in advance,

Dave.

B)-->

QUOTE(Dave B @ Sep 7 2007, 08:53 AM) 193638[/snapback]

I'm looking for a lighter replacement blank for my ancient Guttsbutt Ugly Stick and have come up with Pacific Composites FSU4120G-that's thePowergraph one(not the glass one which my mates have broken a few of between them) with alconites.I want to be able to cast around 60 grams for tailor,salmon,bonito,tuna etc and am looking at an Epix EFS 60, loaded with 8 kg braid-opinions on braid or mono for this job also welcome. Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Hi. We found the same thing years ago. 4120 cracked of at foregrip when cranking 4 to 6 oz out.

We went up to 5120. Instant fix. Same stick. extra wrap. Tipped 4 inches to load it more.

I used ABU 9000 2 spd. Best reel.(In those days) for tossing Mr Twisters etc. and big Pillie with Wired Star sinker.

Used to pull in the big Butters too.(Mulloway) Nowadays use Saltiga Surf. Brilliant reel.

In Eggbeaters, I think I'd be looking at the Okuma VS. Penn SS. Or one of the Daiwa's for decent fish

Some of the lads have tries the EFS. Nice reel. but bail arms play up a bit. I Wouldn't trust one on a decrnt fish.

My thoughts Macka17.

i use 7144g minus a 12"inch in butt casts 80 gram out of site ...and no probs liftin ... just back from far north coast biggest tailor this year was 6.3kg no probs to the 7 wrap..at least have a look at this blank ..bob

Edited by noisy

Thanks guys-I know the 5120 and 7144 well from earlier days but I want to take advantage of newer technology to make life easier -after 15 years away from HSS, 2 hours of spinning with my old gear last week had me ready for the chiropracter.The ZWS10LJ looks interesting Shane, and I just found a Purglas blank that sounds suitable but it looks like W.A. is the only source and I've never seen one up close.

Cheers,

Dave.

dave...i think you will find the 10lj a bit heavy...and i like to feel a blank before i buy..i have built a lot of sticks over the years and i am in my 60's and i found the 7144g great you dont need to take 12" of if you dont want to...blanks are hard to get now...try fergo's at taren point...have a feel of the good old 7 wrap i think you will be surprised...depending where you live you are welcome to have a look at the stick i built....bob

I got my numbers a little mixed up but the ZWS10LJ is the blank that i meant. Weight wise it is a lot lighter than the 7144 and a lot faster action with the stiffness in the but so you can really punch 50-80gm lures much better than the old glass 7144. Most tackle stores in sydney will either have or easily be able to get one of these blanks for you to look at.