Baitrunner Problem

humesy

Howdy,

I own 3, 6500 baitrunners and i am generally pretty happy with the except for one thing. The damn roller on the bailing arm keeps seizing up. I am pretty good about rinsing them down after use on the beach or boat and give them a drop of lube or a spray of lanolin spray every now and then. I have had at leat 3 seize on me and they pretty much need replacing each time. Has anyone else had the same trouble?

For my next reel, I would consider something else for my jewie/kingie fishing. Maybe a penn 950 or possibly an overhead. Any tips/opinions on an alternative reel for this sort of fishing? Something that can be used on both beach and boat.

Cheers

Howdy,

I own 3, 6500 baitrunners and i am generally pretty happy with the except for one thing. The damn roller on the bailing arm keeps seizing up. I am pretty good about rinsing them down after use on the beach or boat and give them a drop of lube or a spray of lanolin spray every now and then. I have had at leat 3 seize on me and they pretty much need replacing each time. Has anyone else had the same trouble?

For my next reel, I would consider something else for my jewie/kingie fishing. Maybe a penn 950 or possibly an overhead. Any tips/opinions on an alternative reel for this sort of fishing? Something that can be used on both beach and boat.

Cheers

Hi Andrew you can still import a near new used 9500ss from the U.S. The new ones I bought 6 years ago were about $150 U.S. last year when they stopped making them in the U.S. and U.S.P.S. express airfreight is around $35.00 U.S.

Because of the intrinsic value good used 9500ss are now bringing up to $180.00 U.S. and can put you onto one or three.

You've seen my varieity of big spinning reels. No need to look any further than Penn.

Cheers.

jewgaffer:1fishing1: We'll run another in soon.

What model baitrunners? A , B or Triton Sea Spin ??

I've got several BTR6500's and the youngest an "A" model is by far the worst for maintenance.

Give me an old Triton Sea Spin anyday.

The roller runs on a bush & thats half its problem. If you keep them lubed, that is with a bit of grease they are fine, I don't use mine on the beach however. Once you throw sand in the mix your just asking for trouble no matter the reel IMO.