Friday Blues Down Middle Harbour

Narralakes

Well here's a story that I hope you dont ever experience yourself. Started out at Roseville at 5.30 am yesterday morning and headed out to the Harbour with my mate (not named to save him from being identified for good reason) and 5 minutes (2 kms) into the trip and the motor's impelor (spelling??) blows out, and as a result no water being pumped. we had one paddle between us and started to paddle back, me on the right, mate on the left. you wouldnt believe it, in 2 hours we saw a dozen kayakers and about 6 boats, not one boat offered to give us a tow back, even though we obviously needed help and waved at them. Finally, 750 metres ( about 1 hours paddle) from Roseville we waved down a guy who was kind enough to tow us back. I must say, I was disappointed that a couple of boats passed us by, looked but not giving a sh*t, hope it was no one who frequents this site.

Sorry to hear about your problems Ken. Glad you made back, allbeit later than expected! :thumbup:

hope it was no one who frequents this site.

23150[/snapback]

I wouldn't think it would be anone that is on here. If it was.....well the less said the beter!!! :ranting2::thumbdown:

As I understand you are required by law to assist another vessel if they need it. It's the sort of thing I'd expect from some people that hit the water on summer weekends. Best to just forget it I reckon and remember to help others even though you were given the shaft! :05:

Maybe that's how it is in the Harbour and one of the reasons I don't fish there!

23183[/snapback]

Fortunately Iain thats NOT how it is in the harbour. I have stopped to help whenever I can, and have helpe offered to me on a number of occasions when it may have seemed I was in strife.

Just yesterday, while fishing the social, me and Jeff saw a couple of kids that had upended their dinghy. They had another boat nearby, but I hung around until they gave me the all clear that everything was under control.

If I see that someone needs a hand, and they decline, I will wait till im sure they are out of the shyte before carrying on what I was doing.

Maybe we didnt signal clearly enough, but 2 guys taking turns to paddle with one paddle, and waving looks like something is wrong. I'll take Bashir's advice and forget it and definitely help others, which we would do anyway. I know all you guys would have helped out, as most people would, Fishraider or not.

Guest Big-Banana

Bit disappointing. Once during a rough Southerly some bloke had gearbox troubles and we offered a tow. In the swell their boat hit ours and gave a ding. They didnt even say thankyou but still if I were in trouble I would like to be helped.

narralakes I dont know how big your boat is & any boatie should render assistance in any case, but a 27 meg radio fixed or portable is a necessity i reckon, one call for assistance on the 27 normally brings the guardian angle. This doesnt excuse the posers that ignored your plight . If you do get a 27 meg join the volunteer coastal patrol radio log for about $ 12.00 they will give your boat a dedicated call sign & log you in & out via radio ramp to ramp anywhere in australia. Theyll even notify S.A.R if you dont report 1 hour after your S A R WATCH expires.

A sad reflection on the true nature of man Narra. All the more thankful when we see a bit of magic happen and someone takes the time out to give us something outta da blue for nicks. That's what Christmas is all about.

Ya betta come fish with moir. In a few weeks I'll have everything to do with safety on board except a satelite phone. Then again :1Lighten: the HF radio, the liferaft ... chocolates.????

I would hope that the W....kers that didn't respond would act somewhat differently if you were out beyond the heads, but that might be a bit too much to ask. I would also hope it's not the Asian thing. That would really get me going.

Wombat (that's a good excuse for chocolates eh? Didn't think of that before.)

Almost any excuse is a good excuse for chocalates. As for not stopping because I'm Asian (Chinese - Australian), well it wouldnt be the first time Iv'e got the shaft. But anyhow, thanks for all the ideas, the radio idea sounds good, as does the V sheet. BTW, it was my mates boat we were on as well, a nice 4.3 allycraft.

Guest Big-Banana

I hope they didnt stop because of racial indiscretion. Thatd be a big letdown seeing as we live in a heavily multiculturalised society.

G'day Bluefin, Big Banana,

I think I will leave the racial thread out of the posts for now, could get ugly and this site is too good for that.

Bluefin,

I ended up getting a Yamaha 15 hp and it is so smooth and yep, there is a heap of difference in power, speed, "getting outta the hole", more speed has meant more time fishing. I am still running it in, but it is so smooth, hopefully will have not dramas.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johblow

Gday all - i've recently bought a boat (best thing i 've ever bought) and got a license and am amazed at how many people in the harbour ignore the basic rules. Especially the blokes in their big stink boats. I guess im very aware of it cause ive just done the knowledge test. The hawkesbury is better, but there is less traffic there so may not be a good comparison. Anyhow ... its just like on the roads!!!