Line Off The Rocks

mark84

on the rocks mainly for pigs what is your choice of line i have been using platypus pre test and a mate of mine shogun i need to get some heavier line about 15kg as the 8kg platypuss and 10kg shogun are breaking very easily i know getting wrapped around the rocks is going to cut almost any line but i dont know what line to use i use platil or maxima for blackfish.

mark...as a dedicated rockhopper i dont think its 2 importent as you said you loose a lot i use platipus because i find it dont kink to much ...but maxima is good to.... i think its a personal choice....bob

Edited by noisy

Hi Mark84,

Avoid fine diameter soft, pliable, co-polymers: they damage and then break too easily.

Old standbys are Maxima or Schneider: stiffer, but large diameter for the breaking strain, so can stand up to the inevitable rock fishing nicks and abraisions without weakening much.

If you want to save a few dollars, look at some of the cheaper bulk lines. Check the diameter to breaking strain first -- go for large diameter relative to the breaking strain. I bought some Penn bulk line recently which is excellent.

Good news is you can buy a kilometre or more of bulk line for the price of a small spool of "premium" line.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Thicker diameter won't help you if the line is still soft. As a few others have said penn 10x is excellent and so is the old faithfull torture. Both of these lines are fairly standard diameter but are very abrasive resistant. I have been using 25lb 10x for a few years on drummer and can't fault it.

Cheers Shane.

I have use tortue for many years because it has a harder out shell and is more resistent to abrasion.

However this year I am using Platypus Low Stretch to see if it increases the sensitivty of bites.

So far I think it makes a difference but the distance I fish from the rock is small and therefore not much line in the water.

I am mainly fishing for pigs using 8kg.

Cheers

Kingpig

Hi Guys,

Another thing to think about is whether you need to spool-up using only your preferred line. After-all, there's nothing to say you can't spool up using two types of line.

I'm a firm believer in "top-shotting": using only about a 100 metres or so of better line (say Tortue, Schneider, Penn... etc) as the top "working line, and using cheaper bulk line under it as reserve line, which unless we hook a whopper -- and don't we all hope for that -- is unlikely to see the light-of-day.

When the working line becomes worn, damaged and therefore untrustworthy, it's simply a matter of replacing it and top-shotting again with more better line. Much cheaper and more sensible than spooling up completely with expensive line and replacing the lot.

Top-shotting also works well with expensive braid and gel-spun line: spool up with inexpensive bulk mono and then top -shot with 100 metres or so of braid or gel-spun on top which becomes the working line. Much cheaper than spooling completely with braid or gel-spun.

Or if you're using mono and your reel has limited capacity, top-shop with your preferred mono, after first winding on 100 metres or so of much smaller diameter for breaking strain gel-spun or braid.

Just a few thoughts

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

The problem you face when going up in line class is ability to detect bites. There come a point where you have to make a compramise. 15lb has plenty of pull and lift and enough sensativity. My old man has caught a giant pig on this line and a sturdy 12ft rod. The line was pioneer mono. Mabye a change of location or rod length?

Hi Guys,

Another thing to think about is whether you need to spool-up using only your preferred line. After-all, there's nothing to say you can't spool up using two types of line.

I'm a firm believer in "top-shotting": using only about a 100 metres or so of better line (say Tortue, Schneider, Penn... etc) as the top "working line, and using cheaper bulk line under it as reserve line, which unless we hook a whopper -- and don't we all hope for that -- is unlikely to see the light-of-day.

When the working line becomes worn, damaged and therefore untrustworthy, it's simply a matter of replacing it and top-shotting again with more better line. Much cheaper and more sensible than spooling up completely with expensive line and replacing the lot.

Top-shotting also works well with expensive braid and gel-spun line: spool up with inexpensive bulk mono and then top -shot with 100 metres or so of braid or gel-spun on top which becomes the working line. Much cheaper than spooling completely with braid or gel-spun.

Or if you're using mono and your reel has limited capacity, top-shop with your preferred mono, after first winding on 100 metres or so of much smaller diameter for breaking strain gel-spun or braid.

Just a few thoughts

Regards,

Bob

Tortue's never let me down. By the way, thats some pretty good advice there mate. Re-spooling can be pretty expensive if you dont know how to avoid the snags!