What Size Hooks For Sp's

dangles

hi guys have started using sp's over the past few months, but not sure if im using the correct size hooks for the sp's im using. I use as light as possible in the weights,but just wondering what size hooks i should be using for the following

-gulp 3" minnow

-gulp 3" minnow grub

-gulp 2" minnow grub

-gulp sandworms

targeting bream

all help appreciated

thanks in advance

Daniel

hi guys have started using sp's over the past few months, but not sure if im using the correct size hooks for the sp's im using. I use as light as possible in the weights,but just wondering what size hooks i should be using for the following

-gulp 3" minnow

-gulp 3" minnow grub

-gulp 2" minnow grub

-gulp sandworms

targeting bream

all help appreciated

thanks in advance

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

For bream I usually use a fine gauge chemically-sharpened 1/32 keel size 2 jig when there is no wind for all the above. If there is a wind I'll use a heavier head.

I'm of the school, "Bigger hooks catch bigger fish but smaller hooks catch all the fish" :)

Cheers mate,

Richie.

EDIT: Dodgy speeling

Edited by Richie

don't be concerned if the hook point is surprisingly close to the head of the plastic....this is essential to get a good action out of the plastic....in my experience bream generally attack the lure head first and dent the jig head....i used to worry about short bites but generally a legal fish will have no worries about putting any of the lures you mentioned away in one go

just remember the finer the gauge hook the easier it will penetrate, but it will also straighten easier too