Jewies In The Hacking

Luringbream

Just wondering if anyone regularly targets jewies in the hacking? And where would be a good place to start?

DAN

Hi Luringbream you certainly are into many types of fishing.

I have fished the Hacking over quite a few years.

I often chose the Hacking particularly when the predicted big southerlys come in early when we are preparing to fish elsewhere or even when we are anchored elsewhere and it's too blowy to fish and the peak tide for the jew there is hours away.

Burraneer Bay has a depth 60 feet of water where I fish and there is reasonable shelter there from southerly blow ups.

For example, today my barometer is showing a fast drop from yesterday to a low 1004 milibars and it's still falling as I write. This means more of the southerly stuff is coming back after all the bad fishing we have had!

One thing promising this time though, the temperature is only falling slowly from about 25 and not adding to any cold at the moment and I don't think it will add more cold to the conditions as the wind change comes in.

We are fishing through Saturday night at the two Georges bridges then going from there to fish the Sunday social. The southerly could either come early tonight or tomorrow then turn to east.

Now, if it is late to do that or if it's still blowing strong from the south we will head straight for Burraneer Bay tomorrow night.

Now Dan here is the exact spot I fish in Burraneer Bay. Others drive straight over it before the boat has even warmed up after they launch from Water St ramp.

Simply pull up opposite the Marina on the same side as the boat ramp. Anchor 50-90 metres lining up square the corner of the marina nearest the boat.

I am willing to share this spot which as far as I am concerned is the best jewfish spot in the whole of Port Hacking.

The reason is that it's a top spot and no problem for me to share with members.

There is plenty of room there and the more the better to send out more burley and hold other fish.

There is a good bi- catch to jew there so I stay around 6/0s hooks. I find table size snapper come in about the same time as the jew and being marauders the jew get into business from the last quarter up the tide to the last quarter down and, I find the jew are most at night, the same as I do in the Georges.

Dan I hope this helps.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

That's very helpful advice Jewgaffer.

A couple of general jewfishing questions:

When you are fishing for jews, I was just wondering how many rigs you have out of the boat?

I know it may depend on many variables, but generally what depth is the bait? Do you ever use a float or balloon?

Finally, one night when returning to the Water Street ramp, the area near the ramp was alive with garfish. It was amazing. Is garfish a good jew bait?

Cheers and thanks Jewgaffer

That's very helpful advice Jewgaffer.

A couple of general jewfishing questions:

When you are fishing for jews, I was just wondering how many rigs you have out of the boat?

I know it may depend on many variables, but generally what depth is the bait? Do you ever use a float or balloon?

Finally, one night when returning to the Water Street ramp, the area near the ramp was alive with garfish. It was amazing. Is garfish a good jew bait?

Cheers and thanks Jewgaffer

Hi Peter Cripes mate just as I write the sky turned all erie, and noises like small hail stones hit my pergola roof. Then the wind wipped up in gale force up here in Campbelltown enough to overturn a boat! That was a sudden change to south west which they predicted for tomorrow and the southerly decided to arrive 3 o'clock the day before with hail as a bonus!, would you believe!

ok.

1. we stagger 4-8 U.S made 10-50LB (stamped on each rod I mean) Ugly stik tiger rods on penn ss's, pfhluegers, ticas, centrons and alveys, 80lb braid, NEVER circle hooks - jew have a hollow cavity mouth.

We use a couple of 10 foot bigwater rods as range finders or to cast to the other side of a reef etc or to get more casting distance to get a bait closer to the shore etc.

2. General depth is OFF the bottom on very heavy snapper leads (even in calm shallow water at times for more tug and solid hookups still that's only my way)

I often add a small cork to the nose of the bait. Otherwize downriggers for up to 5 metres in steps up from the bottom in say 60 feet, as a trial rods if no action.

3. Definately balloons or bigwater floats in close to rocks, rough water rocky entrances etc (50lb mono)

4. Peter, I have never tried garfish as jew bait. I have caught them when fishing for whiting off the sand bar between Grays Point and Lily Pilly, and always churning up a lot of sand while pumping for nippers at low tide, {EDIT- anchoring and fishing further out from the pumping area and back into the pumping area as the tide rises}.

I often launched a jew rod out off the bow, where the river becomes very narrow near Grays Point, baiting up a whiting and casting out into deeper water. I got flathead there on the good days over the years but never had a sign of a daytime jew.

It is hard to get garfish when you need them, and slimies are the same, but slimys are just like giving a jew a chocolate when there's other bait fish around, ay what do you reckon, Pete?

Thanks.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Peter Cripes mate just as I write the sky turned all erie, and noises like small hail stones hit my pergola roof. Then the wind wipped up in gale force up here in Campbelltown enough to overturn a boat! That was a sudden change to south west which they predicted for tomorrow and the southerly decided to arrive 3 o'clock the day before with hail as a bonus!, would you believe!

I was at Miranda when the storm hit and my car ended up covered with two inches of hail and pine needles. No damage luckily.

The info is great jewgaffer. Many thanks. I've never fished for jews, but you explain it very clearly, so I'm determined to give it a go - sooner hopefully rather than later.

Thanks again

Cheers

Peter

I was at Miranda when the storm hit and my car ended up covered with two inches of hail and pine needles. No damage luckily.

The info is great jewgaffer. Many thanks. I've never fished for jews, but you explain it very clearly, so I'm determined to give it a go - sooner hopefully rather than later.

Thanks again

Cheers

Peter

We'll have to get you over to Taren Point bridge one night for the old jew, and old mate Pete, you better grab old mate Syd to make the old bird of it too :074:

Old mate Syd in the photo reminds me of old mate Bob Dyer from the old Pick-a-box quiz and old mate Pick-a-box Syd would have all the answers just like old mate Pick-a-box Bob. :074:

From old mate jewgaffer :gathering: