Downsizing

kw367

G'day Raiders,

Long time no posts! I've been a bit distracted lately...separating from your :wife: will do that to you!!! :05:

ANYWAY....nuff about that for now. PJ and I got out for a :1fishing1: on the Hawkesbury for the first time in months today. I thought the river, and fishing was quiet a few months ago, but it was even more so today. Managed a smallish Flatty and Bream, as well as one noiiccee bream (photos later in another post).

ANYHOO, thats not the reason for this post. Since separating I've been thinking about selling the 20ft Bayliner bowrider and getting something smaller, in a bid to cut costs, easier to store etc. I'm thinking about an aluminium runabout of about 15ft with about a 75hp motor (still want to be able to ski at a pinch). Got my eye on a new Bermuda Island Shore at the moment. Not to fussed about getting a DFI or a four stroke, I'm tipping ANY 75hp will be cheaper to run than a 220hp sterndrive!!! Sooo, what do you think raiders, am I going to be disappointed with the stability, ride etc., having being used to a "limo"? Or will the practicality, better suitability to fishing + a bit of money left over in my sky rocket have me cheering??!! :1prop:

Thaanks!!

You will notice a difference in ride , it is a smaller boat , but with a good 75 on the back , should go like stink!! As expected ,I would recommend an Etec , for all of the usual reasons , but any recent 75HP would have to be less thirsty than the 220!

You should laugh all the way to the bank!!

Ross

You should laugh all the way to the bank!!

Ross

You mean laugh all the way to my ex-wife's bank! :074::074:

Another question for youse guys. I've always been a drive on/off the trailer sort a guy. First with a Whittley with a roller trailer and lately with the Bayliner with it's American skid type trailer. Can I do this with the typical skid type tinny trailer? I'd be happy to winch the last part, but no ropes and pulling on for me!!

I've got a Quinnie 530 spirit wich I drive on and off, it's on a Dunbier skid trailer. You'll find that most alloy boats are on skid trailers, the platey's are on multi rollers.

Have you seen the 5 meter platey Mark from Cougar craft has for sale? It's green and looks awsome, put a 90 on it and it would do everything you want. You can see a picture of it in this section under looking 5m plate.

Edited by gone_wishin

Hi, I have a superceeded brand new Stacer 489 Baymaster here at the moment powered by 75HP Mariner that would be able to do everything that you are wanting do to and be about the same price as the Bermuda new, if that is what you are looking at.

The ride of the Stacer will be about the best you get in a pressed alloy tinny and you are able to drive the boat on if you like, but it means dunking the trailer, which in slat water will cause many troubles and what I would do is get yourself a power winch if you are not wanting to wind up by hand. the savings in not doing wheels bearings etc over a couple of years will pay for the winch.

PM me if you would like any details and pricing.

Cheers,

Huey.

The ride of the Stacer will be about the best you get in a pressed alloy tinny and you are able to drive the boat on if you like, but it means dunking the trailer, which in slat water will cause many troubles and what I would do is get yourself a power winch if you are not wanting to wind up by hand. the savings in not doing wheels bearings etc over a couple of years will pay for the winch.

Jeez Huey, you're making me feel lazy!! :074: I don't mind winching by hand, as long as I can drive the boat on partially I'll be happy, and not have to tie a rope to the front and pull it on etc etc. I'm used to the Bayliner skid trailer, which you basically have to dunk quite a ways or else it's too hard to winch up.