Blackfish Weed

gregr2

Hi all you blackfish addicts.

I have been fishing for these gems for a couple of years now, with varing results. Have tried many different types of weed collected from different areas. The other day I was at the local tackle shop and saw some frozen weed. I got some and when it defrosted it had a real distint odour which I had not experienced before. I thought this weed is off! , and didnt use it as it reeked. Anyway just recently I collected some weed from a new location and for the first time after storing this weed in the fridge overnight(as I usuallt do) to my surprise the fridge reeked of the same smell. I knew the weed was fresh so I went fishing with this weed that had cabbage leaf in with it and the blackies went wild for the cabbage tainted with this odour... coincidence or does anyone know if this smelly weed is actually what we should be fishing with. Anybody know the odour I speak of?

Hi Moonset ..... haven't you seen the blackie boys sniffin' the weed? That is the blackfish weed, of course! It usually has a fairly distinctive smell - somewhat similar to the smell of the blackie once it has been despatched!! But some varieties have more odour than others. Some have none, but still catches well. I have access to a 'wire weed' that smells like something you would put in a salad - but the other week, that was the only thing the blackies were taking!

I have some weed in the fridge that has been vacuum packed & you can still smell it!! Luckily, I am in charge of what goes into my fridge ..... not all blackie addicts can say the same!!! A mis-guided partner may ask for the 'smelly stuff' to be taken out!!! :1prop:

Amazing how sometimes, they will get the cabbage off the hook, even tho mixed with the weed. The weed is left behind! Picked clean! Sometimes it is the other way around - they pick off the weed & leave the cabbage. That is why I run with 2 hooks about 25cm apart. You can see if they go for the cabbage or weed. On occassion you will get the 2 hooks caught up, but if you cast carefully, they will land sweetly & you have 2 bites at the cherry!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Moonset ..... haven't you seen the blackie boys sniffin' the weed? That is the blackfish weed, of course! It usually has a fairly distinctive smell - somewhat similar to the smell of the blackie once it has been despatched!! But some varieties have more odour than others. Some have none, but still catches well. I have access to a 'wire weed' that smells like something you would put in a salad - but the other week, that was the only thing the blackies were taking!

I have some weed in the fridge that has been vacuum packed & you can still smell it!! Luckily, I am in charge of what goes into my fridge ..... not all blackie addicts can say the same!!! A mis-guided partner may ask for the 'smelly stuff' to be taken out!!! :1prop:

Amazing how sometimes, they will get the cabbage off the hook, even tho mixed with the weed. The weed is left behind! Picked clean! Sometimes it is the other way around - they pick off the weed & leave the cabbage. That is why I run with 2 hooks about 25cm apart. You can see if they go for the cabbage or weed. On occassion you will get the 2 hooks caught up, but if you cast carefully, they will land sweetly & you have 2 bites at the cherry!

Cheers

Roberta

Yes thankyou Roberta, I have not really been able to get this pungent weed before. I CERTAINLY PULLED A PB with it but wow does the fridge smell!!!!!!!!

They are FUNNY THINGS OUR BELOVED BLACKIES, what they go crazy over one day they wont touch the next. Makes it confusing :tease:

Yep - keeps you guessing!!! Surprising what they will take sometimes - I have used stuff that is almost slimey & they'd still taken it! But would recommend fresh against anything!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Yep - keeps you guessing!!! Surprising what they will take sometimes - I have used stuff that is almost slimey & they'd still taken it! But would recommend fresh against anything!

Roberta

Your a true champion Roberta.. they certainly do keep us guessing, I have found some corrolation with this mumbo jumbo moon stuff.. keep records and some of it starts to make sense..

Regards Greg

Moonset,

for many years i have chased blackies and the associated chasing of the weed from many areas, some stuff we used to get from mortlake smelt like the sulphur from the gas works, other stuff from meadowbank had a distinct kerosene smell and stuff from the georges would have a wet earth smell, at times they would take whatever you had other times it was only botany weed or parra river weed70 combined years between Dad and i and we have given up trying to work em out (well almost!)

As for the smell in the fridge i think it has a lot to do with it being algae and as any vegetable will decompose, just be wary as some types of weed will go off quicker than others particuarly the greasy leafy types you find in the stormwater drains in the parra river as well as the stuff that comes off the ocean rocks where as weed from sandy creeks that grows on ribbon weed tips will keep much longer. Also depends on air temp and humidity how wet your green weed is where you store it etc.

Cheers

Royce.

Moonset,

for many years i have chased blackies and the associated chasing of the weed from many areas, some stuff we used to get from mortlake smelt like the sulphur from the gas works, other stuff from meadowbank had a distinct kerosene smell and stuff from the georges would have a wet earth smell, at times they would take whatever you had other times it was only botany weed or parra river weed70 combined years between Dad and i and we have given up trying to work em out (well almost!)

As for the smell in the fridge i think it has a lot to do with it being algae and as any vegetable will decompose, just be wary as some types of weed will go off quicker than others particuarly the greasy leafy types you find in the stormwater drains in the parra river as well as the stuff that comes off the ocean rocks where as weed from sandy creeks that grows on ribbon weed tips will keep much longer. Also depends on air temp and humidity how wet your green weed is where you store it etc.

Cheers

Royce.

THANKS Royce, yeah I cant work them out either. They keep us guessing, suppose thats the beauty of blackfishing..Greg

Hey Royce - you wouldn't believe it - we have found a new type of wire weed up here that brained the blackies a few weeks ago. You only needed to pull the hook thru the weed to get a few strands on it. The bloke next to me kindly gave me some & told me where to get it! He was catching fish after fish & I couldn't catch a cold! After using his stuff, I was on, too! Have tried it a couple of times since, but they seem to have gone off it a bit. Normal cabbage is the go just now, or fresh weed.

It is a swamp weed that grows in really brackish water (no fresh or salt water other than when it rains.) It has little flowerettes on it, & locals now calls it 'berry weed'. It stinks something horrible!! There is a salad veg that you add to salads that smells similar - reminds me of that (can't remember its name tho!!!) If left in the air, this stuff goes limp & starts breaking down very quickly. You have to keep it cool in a small esky (6 pack one is good) & covered with a rag or it starts to break down. I grabbed some & have stored it in its own water, so will see how long it lasts.

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Royce

Aha!! I have heard of this mysterious Black Magic before!!! When it goes 'off' it is a really dark green/black but is quite green when still fresh. THe Kiwis thought they had that named coined for the America's Cup boat!

Seems to be a short season this year ... but am not too worried - the fish are always there, just a matter of putting something in front of their face when they are hungry!! I don't want a bag full - would rather have a good excuse for going back again the next day! Will try further down the wall tomorrow (weather etc pending!) Makes it all the more interesting when they are not biting freely!!! May have to pump some nippers!

When it is nice again, I will take the yak out & try the leases again. There are monsters lurking there. It is about the sport of catching, sometimes, not just the catching! :1prop: Will try some of the Black Magic! (Usually I forget to take some!)

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta