Tasty Start To The Season!

Queenfish

Headed out to middle harbour early Saturday morning, our first outing since renovating our boat looking to catch some kings. :yahoo:

Got to our spot around 5.30am and it didn't take long for some action to start.

Our first lines in produced a nice hook up for Lee, :1fishing1: putting a decent bend in his rod we were all waiting in anticipation for the first fish, after a few pumps of the rod unfortunately the bugger came off. :ranting2:

While we were comiserating over the loss I managed to hook up to something, felt like an unusual bite not one I had felt before, and after a minute or two I had my first flounder in the boat. :thumbup: This was taking on the new Berlkley Gulp Alive soft plastics in Rootbeer gold colour.

post-4257-1189936797_thumb.jpg

We eat tonight!

We were fishing for a bit longer and my husband Mick had his first hook up for the morning, put up a decent fight, nice head shakes, got to the boat for a nice size flattie! Again on the Gulp Alive. :yahoo:

post-4257-1189937078_thumb.jpg

Since we weren't getting much on the big rods set up with some nice squid heads, thought we better have a look, picking up one of the rods and winding it in noticed a little extra weight as it was surfacing noticed a decent size squid follwing it up, thought we would try to get him using our net and lucky he was a decent size managed to get him in.

We also managed to catch another nice flattie and three more nice squid, also a few small snapper.

post-4257-1189937146_thumb.jpg

It was an excellent day on the harbour and we had a fantastic meal.

Can't wait to get out next week!

Cheers

Frying the flounder in butter is fine, but if you like mushrooms I have the recipe below for whole deep-fried flounder with a chinese mushroom sauce. Tried this recipe out with the flounder this time and it was fantastic.

To fry the flounder

> score the skin of the fish

> season fish with salt & pepper

> lightly coat flonder in flour

> put enough oil in a pan to just cover the flounder and allow oil to heat up (High temp)

> place fish into hot oil and cook on each side for 3-5 mins

To make chinese mushroom sauce

> soak 1 packet of dried shitake mushrooms with enough boiling water to cover (leave for 2 - 3 mins)

> crush 2 cloves of fresh garlic, 1 small piece of ginger grated and a teaspoon of chilli paste into a fry pan with a small amount of oil and cook for a minute.

> drain shitake mushrooms (saving the water) and add to pan stir for another minute

> add aprox half the water from the mushrooms and 3 tablespoons of oystersauce to pan and stir through

> add 2 teaspoons of cornflour to small amount of warm water mix till turns to paste

> add cornflour paste to sauce tir through to thicken

Pour sauce over fish and enjoy!

Cheers

Frying the flounder in butter is fine, but if you like mushrooms I have the recipe below for whole deep-fried flounder with a chinese mushroom sauce. Tried this recipe out with the flounder this time and it was fantastic.

To fry the flounder

> put enough oil in a pan to just cover the flounder and allow oil to heat up (High temp)

> soak 1 packet of dried shitake mushrooms with enough boiling water to cover (leave for 2 - 3 mins)

> crush 2 cloves of fresh garlic, 1 small piece of ginger grated and a teaspoon of chilli paste into a fry pan with a small amount of oil and cook for a minute.

> drain shitake mushrooms (saving the water) and add to pan stir for another minute

> add aprox half the water from the mushrooms and 3 tablespoons of oystersauce to pan and stir through

> add 2 teaspoons of cornflour to small amount of warm water mix till turns to paste

Cheers

Looks great!

Do you find the flounder has an extra slimy coat to it? Wondering how raiders go about cleaning the things?

We caught a nice number up in Port Stevens but I think I didnt clean the slimy coat off well enough coz it tasted very fishy.

Next time I will use this recipe :1prop:

AL

To fry the flounder

Cheers

Great...

you just made me hungry!

ha good work - Im going to try the sauce it sounds great!

To fry the flounder

Cheers

G'day Rochelle...that recipe sounds great. I love my flounder.

Can you please copy/paste it into The Kitchen section for posterity?

I could do it but it would then have my name on the post and

it's your recipe and deserves credit.

Can't wait to land another flounder to give it as try.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

We had never caught squid in the lower reaches either Plankton, but it was around Pickering Point where we caught a couple of them but they seemed to be everywhere we we that day!

I have also posted the recipe for my Flounder in The Kitchen for anyone who is interested.

Cheers

Queenfish